introduction to the real world....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: introduction to the real world....

"Working sucks, you are either born from the correct vagina, or you work to make it yourself."

That's good...real good. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      "Working sucks, you are either born from the correct vagina, or you work to make it yourself."

That's good...real good. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The third option is to marry it. My dad always told me to follow that path, but I always end up in love with the poor girls...... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I always worked, during the summer I worked with my buddies hauling hay bales, for 5 cents each, we usually hauled 1000 to 1200 a day, 50-60 bucks a day in the mid 70s for HS kid wasn't bad, I was able to buy my first car before I even got my license. went straight into construction after a little shot at college, the most important thing in any job is being around decent people and hopefully doing something you don't hate and can actually take some pride in. Never pass up good chance to work your way up the ladder, a good work ethic and positive attitude can help you to get ahead.
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Having a fulltime job was easier for me than going to MIT

Comment

MIT makes my brain hurt [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I always worked, during the summer I worked with my buddies hauling hay bales, for 5 cents each, we usually hauled 1000 to 1200 a day, 50-60 bucks a day in the mid 70s for HS kid wasn't bad, I was able to buy my first car before I even got my license. went straight into construction after a little shot at college, the most important thing in any job is being around decent people and hopefully doing something you don't hate and can actually take some pride in. Never pass up good chance to work your way up the ladder, a good work ethic and positive attitude can help you to get ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that, because i've already been working 2 days and already i think one of my team leaders is an asshole. Patronising, smug and just a general dick head. But I get to work with my best friend (who happens to be the son of the warehouse manager) and some of the team leaders are good guys.

I don't plan on doing this for longer than a year because i'm really thinking about going off to university to study how to build guitars and maybe make some sort of living from it. But whatever happens, I'll make sure that i work as my own boss because i hate working for other people [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
              93 USA Soloist EDS
              USA HT6 Juggernaut
              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

You're always working for other people. When you're self-employed, the customer you depend on is your boss.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As for your parents not paying or helping to pay for you college, consider this:

My parents bought my older brother a car when he was 18 and co-signed his student loan to go to vo-tech. He let a friend drive the car while they were smoking a joint, and the guy clipped a phone pole. My brother quit vo-tech, but the loan still had to be paid. My dad fixed the car, paying for the parts and stuff himself.
                  Then my brother ran a stop sign and hit a Cadillac. The car was toast.
                  They bought him another car, which he also wrecked.
                  Then they bought him another car, which he and his first wife just basically tore to crap.

While my brother was still on his 1st car, I got my first car at 18 from a friend of my dad's (a Pontiac Starfire GT). The guy's son was a computer genius who thought fixing a car was simple, but he figured out that he didn't know what he was doing when he got the engine half-way tore apart. He wanted $50 for the car. I saved up my allowance as I didn't have a job at the time, but the guy said to use the $50 to have the title changed over, so I got the car for free. My dad bought the parts (gaskets mostly, and a couple of push rods) to fix it, and it ran great, except for an obnoxious knocking sound from the engine (turned out to be a factory defect - all Pontiac Starfire GTs from that year had it, and there were no problems ever reported as a result).

I did want to go to vo-tech, but I would have had to pay for it myself, which I couldn't afford, so I just worked a job.

When my brother wrecked his car, my parents told me to let him use my car and they'd let me use their van.
                  Finally my dad got so paranoid about the knocking sound that he made me give the car to another friend of his (which is when we found out the knocking was a factory defect and had never caused a problem), but I was stuck with the van, which wasn't really a very nice van.

I was still driving the van when he got and wrecked his second car.
                  When we moved to TN in 89 and my brother was in the NAVY, he had just gotten married and just got the 3rd car. They sold the van before we left Louisiana because they heard it was going to cost $350 to get it changed over from LA to TN registrations. Turned out it was only $50.
                  So I had to use my Mom's car to get to work.

A few years later (about 1995) I was able to buy another car that needed work. The car cost me $375 and the parts to get it running cost $1500. My parents paid the $275 for a drive axle, I paid the rest and my dad did the work.

Finally in 2002 I had saved enough money from working to buy a brand new car. It's mine. No one helped me with it. No one signed the loan but me. GMAC sends ME a bill.

My brother is now on wife #3 (with child), has no job, and is still always looking for a handout, because my parents gave him everything. I worked for everything I got. The only thing anyone ever gave me was that very first car and a few parts and labor.
                  Everything I have is mine. I bought it myself with money I earned.

Your brother and sister will always look to mom and dad for a helping handout, just like my brother does.
                  I'm a Man. I do for myself without help from others.
                  I don't resent my parents for never having bought me a car. I appreciate the lesson I learned by doing it myself.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You rock Newc, amen brutha [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Enjoy the 40 hour weeks, they are essentially part time here. I haven't worked one in years.

My normal week is 55 to 60 hours and I have a month of 90 hour weeks coming. Same start time as you but I finish generally around 5 - 5:30. Fortunately I get paid for my OT. The real world blows chunks. If you are still living at home enjoy it. Mortgage payments and all the bills that go with it will suck the life right out of you. Yeah you can pass some of that cheese this way. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

...so we do what we gotta do to pay the bills, and then we spend our free time looking for the best deasl on charvels and waiting to buy a new one and share photos with the rest of the "married with children dads" here on the JCF...

thank goodness for the music we grew up on...Charvel take us away to a better place...

Comment

What kinda car ya got, Newc?

Here's mine, all paid off;

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                          X