Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wolf puppy just arrived!! (big pic warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wolf puppy just arrived!! (big pic warning)

Oh yeah...I'm well aware of the whole Wolf situation and people's response. From living in Arizona for so long and the re-introduction of the Grays, then to living in the woods where I do. We have Coyotes around here - I hear them almost every night, sometimes VERY close. Awesome stuff.

I read a book a few years ago about a guy who lived close to a wolf pack in Alaska for a couple years. He wrote beautifully about the interaction of the pack as they played, hunted, lived. Fantastic stuff, and made a huge impression on me.

Comment

yeah I was introdiced to Hybrids in a club down in Mass where I used to live. The manager of the club had one and I swore I would get one. When I had the chance I got the one you see above and she was one of the hardest losses I've suffered as pets went..

I'd love to go up to alaska and see them. There is actually a wolf facilty about 1 hour from me out near the coast called wolf hollow. The used to have british colunbian wolfs that went from grey to jet black. I have to admit the all black is very intimidating looking.. .

You have to be careful with the hybrids and coyotes they are natural enemies because they are territorial. They used to come to the bottom of my property and bark up at her trying to get her to chase and the hybrids will go after them. There was a guy down on the coast with a 165 pound male that tore into some coyotes years ago ..
      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I never knew you were into wolves Chuck ..bet we could have some good conversations, I learned a lot because of Timber over the years ..
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Holy Cow! That is such cool stuff...how are they for climate preferences? I see folks in Arizona with Huskies, and wonder if that's a good idea...it would seem the hybrids would prefer cooler climes, or am I mistaken?

Comment

I have seen Siberian huskies with a hard time in California weather but my wolves never had a problem and they loved going to the beach on hot days, would go play in the water.

Comment

Well I know they are designed to their territories.. like out in alaska you'll see they have much longer legs and their coats are good to something like 30 below.. their fur is so thick you can't push your finger to the skin..

Out in the southern staes like the Az area they had red wolves not greys. They are thinner and much lankier looking so I would beleive that climate would play a big difference as far as them in the wild. I never had an issue in the summer here with mine and I know one of the zoos in Florida had an exhibit of greys .. so as long as you don't leave them out in the sun in the desert all day I wouldn't see an issue..

Comment

cool doggie my good man. i want a rhodesian ridgeback more than anything else in the world right now.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Red wolves...that's right. A whole year and a half, and I don't know nuthin about the southwest anymore!

This is an interest of mine that has simmered for years. I'm only now, thanks to you guys and this thread, realizing what I'm missing. I'm currently reading Wolfpark.org site, and learning a ton.

I can easily see one of these guys in my future when I get settled. I'm excited!

I was brought up with dogs - Boxers - and learned through my Father how to properly train and positively reinforce learned behaviour in dogs. His dogs were very well trained. There is no excuse for any other behaviour.

Yep...Very cool...Thanks Gentlemen!

Comment

AK how does your wife like it when they blow their coats

Comment

Congratulations AK and welcome to the new puppy! He's sure a good-lookin' pup.
                      Man, Kev... Timber looks very much like my late Uncle's dog, Jed! Also a wolf x, but I don't know with what, his coat was a tad darker. Maybe German Shepherd.
                      He was huge and had very tall legs, looked like he was standing on stilts. A long nose too.
                      They were extremely close. When my Uncle died (an accident, they lived in the mountains) Jed wouldn't move and stood guard over him until someone found them.
                      Jed died shortly thereafter.
                      Incredible animals. I would love to adopt one one day when we're settled.

Again, congrats AK! Does he have a name yet? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Em

Comment

That's a cute lookin pup ya got there man, congrats! I love dogs, but I'm allergic to em, it sucks. I found this out working at a pet store. Almost died working in the kennel area [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I can laugh bout that now, but scared the hell outta me back then

Comment

What city in OH?
                          >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            What city in OH?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Durrr...nevermind, found it. About a 50 min. drive from home.
                            >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Man, this thread has blown me away! My grandparents live in Ohio and have raised wolves and hybrids for 30+ years!When I was a kid,we would stay up there for a month or so and they always had 10 or 15 pups or half growns all over the place.I had a female named Shelba that was the best pet a kid could have. Super intelligent,kind hearted and just a beautiful animal.Fast too,used to run with the horses all the time...................................
                              Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                AK how does your wife like it when they blow their coats

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont care what anyone else says but to me its worth the extra time to sweep up all the fur they shed for what they give back is easily 10 fold. A very fair trade.

Em-
                                His tentative title is "Timmy" but we are having the whole families input before we stick with that name. This guy is so cool we are having a hard time agreeing on a name for him.

Also you guys considering getting one. Make sure you have a house with decent sized property they wont be happy in a small enviroment. So its a no no for someone in an apartment or a townhome with a small yard.

They also take alot of time that you will have to give to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X