No announcement yet.

Things to do in around San Francisco...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in around San Francisco...

Guys,

My wife and I are thinking of making the trip to SF next April time - other than the obvious Alcatraz, Fisherman's Warf etc, we could do with some recomendations so we can try to sort out a plan.

What we're after are the cool things to see in the town, what area to stay in, what's in a day's driving distance etc....

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Things to do in around San Francisco...

Napa Valley, oh yeah, wine spodie odie, drinkin wine, , its been a few years but me and a couple buddies and 3 chicks from south carolina found an out door bar on the wharf and powered down pitchers of daquiris and munched fresh hot sour dough rolls w/ butter from a vendor from the bakery there, until we were bombed. Chinatown can a be little edgy, gang activity was pretty bad when we were there, but like I said its been years
    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Just remember if you walk down hill, you have to walk up hill to get back [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've been there numerous times, all the tourist stuff (Warf, Chinatown, Lombard street) is cool, the food is excellent all over the place. Hit NAPA and do the balloon ride thingy. If you have a rental car drive up in the hills around half moon bay or hit the beach. Some nice country out there...
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I second the Half Moon Bay visit.
        Wife and I stayed there while on our honeymoon... Nice.
        Shoot up to Point Reyes up in Marin... awesome view.
        -Rick

Comment

I lived in that area for 45 years. First, you picked the right time to go. Secound, if you want to go to Alcaraz, book it now. C: Rent an car and go north to the wine country. But the best of all, is to drive south down the coast and go as far as you can. That would be Highway 1. By going in April, you should miss all the fog. All the other tourists go in June and July and the fog covers everthing. Then you can bring 1 million dollars and by a crackerbox in SF. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

SF has all kinds of 'hoods. See Chinatown; criuse the Castro; go to Golden Gate Park. And go to the Mission Distric, only during the day. The cable cars are a given. Catch a bus on Mission and go out to 19th and see a wonderful "hood. Again, during the day. I spent my youth not being tempted by the draw of SF. In April, you will see paradise. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Have an old SF joke. : What do you do if you drop your wallet on Castro St? Kick it all the way to Montgomery St. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Go see Hearst Castle: Angwin and anything south. Just keep going down Highway 1 and make it a 2-dayer. Hell, in 8 hours you be in LA. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Keep going and you can go to Disneyland.

Comment

Highway 1 hugs the coast. It is a driving dream. You can stop at beaches and just take it slow. It is just way cool. Go South, My boy

Comment

What kind of things are you interested in?

Museums? Architecture? Nature? Food? Drink? History? Culture? Entertainment?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      What kind of things are you interested in?

Museums? Architecture? Nature? Food? Drink? History? Culture? Entertainment?

[/ QUOTE ] God, you live there!!! Grew up in the East Bay and as Maxwell Smart said. " Missed it by that much." And am I glad I did. You can show them the town. Put your tourguide hat on. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't know if they still do this. But instead of Alcatraz, rent a couple of bikes pack and take the ferry over to Angel Island and ride around all day.

Comment

Ian, shoot me an email. I used to live there for about 10 years before recently moving. I'd post, but I'm at work and there's too much to type.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

It's a bit south bay, but some of the most breathtaking beaches are a short drive out to Santa Cruz...beaches with cliffs and houses as far west as you can have them stateside are simply amazing.

Comment

I scored some nice green bud on the Haight. Listen for the whispered "good smoke". Indeed is was...
                              "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Working...
                              X