Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I be afraid to buy an american vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be afraid to buy an american vehicle?

I currently drive a 2000 Toyota Landcruiser, and really like it, but it's time for something new. I would like to get something bigger, and my thoughts are going towards a new(2005-06) Suburban or Ford Excursion. My big fear is, I havent owned an american vehicle since high school, and they rarely ran. Have these companies gotten their act together? Is it like the old days where the Japanese or German cars were FAR superior, or do I have nothing to worry about when spending the kind of dollars it takes to buy either one of these vehicles?

Anyone own either one of these?

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: Should I be afraid to buy an american vehicle?

I've had my 95 Ford F250 for over 10 years now. I would definitely buy another American car. They're the best quality cars they've produced in decades.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I would stick with Toyota....maybe a 4Runner or Highlander if you want something bigger. I am a GM guy through and through, but, if I was going to buy something that was reliable with a company that has the best consumer track record, you can't do better than Toyota.-Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I work on car transmission and AWD drivetrains for a living. If you got that sort of dough, spend more and buy the Sequoia.

http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/

Comment

Don't buy an Excursion. Those things are just a bad idea

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I work on car transmission and AWD drivetrains for a living. If you got that sort of dough, spend more and buy the Sequoia.

http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly considered the Sequoia, but I cant figure out why the Landcruiser is more expensive? I do really like the Landcruiser, but I just wanted a change....Maybe I need to drive a Sequoia.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Other than a couple subarus, All of my Vehicals and all my parants vehicals have been American, Both have had Newer sububans with 0 problems, New monte Carlo SS Zip too. Olnly thing in 15 years I remember was our new 93 Grand Am went through 2 Transmissions in like 3K, That Car didn't last long
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Recently, the Big 3 were found to have been falsifying MPG ratings - cars made in the last few years were not as fuel-efficient as they were in the 80s. At a time when gas is $3 a gallon or more, that's insane. A SUV only makes it worse.

However, I've been very happy with my 2002 Impala, and if I were to buy another car, it'd probably be an Impala (but this time spring for leather seats).

Imports are nice and all, but the insurance is generally higher due to repair parts having to be imported (which makes no sense when Toyota has plants in America).

If you absolutely need an SUV, and want American, get whichever Ford model is based on their trucks, not just oversized cars. Ford cannot make good cars, but they make great trucks. Chevy/GM can't make good trucks, but they make great cars.
                Dodge relies on the Hemi to push their sales, as well as a rabidly loyal "Anti Ford/Anti GM" crowd. Other than that, feh.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My mother drove a 1998 Licoln navigator for a handful of years. It was seriously a piece of crap. Suspension repeatedly broke.

Comment

I'm broke and just out of college so I went with a Toyota Corolla. Why, because my dad's got a 1980 Corolla that still runs mint. While my girlfriend has a new Neon that's a complete pile of crap. Yeah, I didnt help answering your question but I find the value for money is Toyota.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

My fried owns a repair shop. He said that he's seen foreign cars break down less put have higher costs per part. He said American cars tend to break down more with lower costs per part.

I have a 2003 Highlander V6 Limited with 56k miles on it. I've only had to do routine service on it and Toyota's service prices are very reasonable. I have a 99 Passat GLS as well. VW charges up the ass for parts and service but fortunately my friend has done the bulk of the work on it and I've been able to get parts really cheap over the internet.

Isn't the Landcruiser pretty big? Why do you want something bigger? My friend has a Sequoia, which he loves. It's pretty freakin' big.

Comment

Wait a few months and check out the newly redesigned 2007 GMC Yukon / Chevy Tahoe models. Looks really nice. Can get a preview on GMC's website. Available in spring '07.

The Sequoia and Land Cruiser models may get redesigns for '07 too. Toyota pretty much has an unbeatably great track record for resale and quality.

Comment

My dad's a Ford retiree, so I'm probably a little biased. But, benefitting from his retiree discount, I've bought nothing but Fords for the last 15-ish years or so. (...OK, my current car is a Mazda, but they're owned by Ford.)

I would have no reservations about buying a Ford. With something like 10 cars betwen my wife and I over that time - not to mention all of my siblings - we haven't had to deal with any major repairs. Sure, there was a little minor thing here or there - that kind of thing happens with EVERY manufacturer, import or domestic - but nothing that made the car break down and undrivable. I would not hesitate to buy another. Just did, in fact. Bought the wife a loaded Freestyle two weeks ago.

Although I have limited experience with the others, my knowledge of them is that - from a reliability standpoint - most of GM's stuff is nearly as good. A little underengineered, but still very reliable.

I would not go near a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep product with a ten foot pole. I have heard several horror stories from friends and co-workers. Actually, my oldest sister drives a Grand Cherokee, and has had a lot of trouble with it. Besides, they're really a German company now, anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a 96 S-10 with 115,000 miles on it and the only repairs have been routine maintence (oil, tires and brakes).

I get the GM discount so I am biased to an extent but I will not buy anything but American.
                            "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

I have had bad experiences with nearly every North American car/truck I have owned, with the exception of my 3 Dodge Dakotas, and my 90 Mustang. That's right, I'm on my 3rd Dakota, and it's a very well made vehicle. We just bought my wife a used Mazda Protege 5 to replace her P.O.S Pontiac mini-van. I'll never buy another GM vehicle.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X