Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I be afraid to buy an american vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I be afraid to buy an american vehicle?

My Honda Civic was creamed by some assbag from VA. I bought a Honda Accord.

After owning a Honda, I'll never own another brand again, unless it's a specialty car (like the "I wants")

Comment

Rune - I own big vehicles and SUV's because we have two kids and we carry a lot of stuff. I drive a bigh ass truck beause I want to plus I haul ATV's around and can throw anything in the back of it that you wouldn't want to put in the inside of a car or SUV. Saftey is another reason, a big vehicle is litle safer that a beer can with wheels and with bullshit crash test results. I drive into downtown Dallas every day for work and see all the wrecks in rush hour traffic, little cars that look totaled running into theback of a full-sized truck or SUV and you see maybe abent bumper on the bigger vehicle.

Shawn - good choice on the Yukon Denali. I would try to hold out until the new ones come out but you won't get a better deal. We bought our Yukon when the current body style first came out, they were hard to find because everyone wanted one.... dealers were hard to beat down on pricing because they knew they could sell it regardless.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

For the past 5 or 10 years the company with the worst reputation is a Japanesse one. This company is facing bankrupcy, lawsuits from their faulty vehicles that have caused death, and a Japanese government that has said they may have to buy the company to relieve the country of its embarrassment. Mercedes bought a huge stake in the company, and thought they could bring in people to fix the problems. They have simply cut their losses and walked away. The myth that Japanese cars are superior is just that. All cars are built to fall apart. The only time in history that they made a perfect car, it was made by an American company. The same company decided that the cars were too perfect and replaced them. The Model A was the car that brought us built in obsolescense. It also was a beautiful stylish car that also created the demand for buying the latest car to be in style. Whatever car you buy is going to be a POS, you just need to take care of it, do the maintenance, and have it checked out once in awhile.............

Comment

I bought a 2005 Ford 150 supercab back in august and I have not had any problems with it. I went with a ford truck because I know a lot of people who have had ford trucks for years without any problems sans the routine maintenence. Toyota makes a pretty damn good vehicle too. I do not know much about their trucks. My dad had a full size tundra a while back and it seemed pretty nice. I went with a ford because I got a stellar deal on it and a good friend of mine was the salesperson, however I was very closely eyeing a Tundra. Toyota vehicles are legendary for running well. I drove a toyota corolla when I was in high school and we still have it. If you are looking for something that is not a pickup truck that is dependable, go with a foreign vehicle.... toyota, nissan, etc. I really do not know much about honda vehicles.
          Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
          The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Yeah, after driving a few last nite, the Sequoia is definitely in the lead. Along with maybe staying with the status quo, and buying another Land Cruiser.

I drove the Yukon XL Denali, it was nice, but to compare the fit and finish with either Toyota, you are simply lying to yourself. IMO of course....

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I mean, pushrods, 16 valve V8's, carburetors, leaf springs and cheap plastic interior?? what the hell? (again)
              For example, the inside of a 2003 Tahoe looks like a 1981 Suburban if you ask me. Infinitely inferior to german interior quality and "feel".

[/ QUOTE ]

The Big 3 haven't used a "carburetor" since 1986! There is nothing wrong with a pushrod V8... I have 98 Trans Am with an all aluminum LS1 V8 that uses a coil pack for every cylinder! I'm pushing 390hp emissions legal and I get about 17 or 18 miles to a gallon when I drive it hard! I get about 24 under normal driving!

I've driven almost every SUV and most cars on the market and if I were getting a truck or SUV, I'd be considering a GMC or the H3 like I said before. Also just a note, the H2 is still built by AMG and feels nothing like a Tahoe, even though I like the Tahoe.

I'm sorry but whoever thinks the new Suburbans interiors look the same as an 81 Suburban, I have only one question... Are you blind? C'mon, if you don't like it fine, but don't bullshit us with all that.

I would NEVER consider the Toyota Sequoia as a serious buy. But that's just me. I've had NO problems with any of my GM vehicles that were taken care of before I bought them. I mean when I bought my 72 Chevelle, yeah it needed alot of work but, I knew that before I bought it.
              Toyota cars are ok... they are reliable if well maintained but, I think most cars are IF well maintained. With of course a few exceptions.

I think it all boils down to what you need the vehicle for or what you WANT it for...

Oh and Cleveland, sounds like someone did a shitty job of packing your bearings if they went out 12k later... I wouldn't blame that on the vehicle. And 128k for your first set is pretty good.

Comment

Hey Wulfe I am a bit confused and God knows we don't need any more confusion on the origins of the Hummer family.
                The H1 is built by AMC, not AMG. Not sure about the H2.

AMG is the high end, racing div. of Mercedes Benz in Germany.
                Two different companies not even affiliated.
                Chrysler and MB do relate of course. As a matter of fact the souped up Chrysler Crossfire has a 3.2L, V6 engine in it that Mercedes retired after the came up with the 5.5L V8 for their C & CL-class automobiles.
                Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I believe he means AM General when he says AMG. AMC is out of business dude. I hate the H2, and H3, but the H1 is cool if you can get a military issue one. The street version is a waste. WTF do you need a stereo for? Its like they took a great vehicle and made it so some suburban housewife could use it to bring groceries home. Its an insult to H1. Mount a gun on that sucker......

Comment

H1's are awesome. We put those things through more than their fair share of paces, LOL. Nearly an indestructible vehicle.
                    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Oh and Cleveland, sounds like someone did a shitty job of packing your bearings if they went out 12k later... I wouldn't blame that on the vehicle. And 128k for your first set is pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, obviously you don't know much about late model GM 4x4 hubs...

They are a sealed assemby, and I bought them new from GM as an OEM replacement. And the someone who installed them is me, and I'm an AWD diagnostic tech and manager of a Transmission Rebuilding company... These hubs are crap from the factory. We replace them all the time and rotors are worse for needing replacement. It's ridiculous. I have replaced the rotor on mine, and the previous owners had already replaced the front bearing hubs and rotors before.

Ehh, heavy truck, they wear...

Comment

Sorry I'm late to the party. Shawn I have a 2004 Suburban LT. We now have 20,000 miles on it. I t ahs been a good family carrier. Plenty of room for the two dog and the triplets.

However the water pump seal warped and we had to replace the water pump. It was covered by warranty. As far as the recall happy new cars seem to be the suburban has only had two. One for the seat belt nad one for the powered mirrors.

If fuel milage isn't a big issue I fully recommend the Suburban. The boys love the DVD system in it. They have cordless head phones for it, so you and your wife can listen to XM radio in the front while they enjoy the movie in the back.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I believe he means AM General when he says AMG. AMC is out of business dude. I hate the H2, and H3, but the H1 is cool if you can get a military issue one. The street version is a waste. WTF do you need a stereo for? Its like they took a great vehicle and made it so some suburban housewife could use it to bring groceries home. Its an insult to H1. Mount a gun on that sucker......

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I meant AM General, sorry I thought that was understood... I thought the same thing about the H2 and H3 until I got to spend a little time in them... they really are impressive. Drive one on an offroad course and you'll see what I mean. Surprised the shit outta me...

Cleveland, you never said what year your vehicles were, and I figure 128k on the first set isn't bad. I am familiar with the ones your refering too, I just never noticed that big a problem with them. I've noticed more of a problem on the Ford Excursion. That thing is a turd. I don't do Trans work but I have worked on absolutely everything else.

Comment

...I'm only afraid to buy an american car if the seller is Bin Laden... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X