Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Problems... Need advice

Hello there.

So the current band I am in is not going anywhere. We keep losing member, and have basically been two singers and a guitarist (me) for 6 months. We practice two times a month at the most. I feel we really are not going anywhere.

I got a very serious offer to join another outfit. They are serious, and I mean serious. They are very talented dudes, and have enough contacts and drive to make it pretty far. I see it as something I could potentially make a living doing. They all go to music school, either for business,music production, or both. We would be practcing probably twice a week and playing shows at least once or twice every week. One of the dudes works at a local GC, and he can get me a stellar deal on some new gear. Plus he plays a USA kelly. I am going to try to get the serial number and some pics for you guys. Anyways, I feel this is something I would really love to do. It is an amazing chance to do something I have always wanted to do. I feel years from now, if we put the work into it I could potentially make a living doing this.

I guess my problem is I am having a hard time figuring out what to do. It would be very tough for me to tell the guys I am with now that I am moving on, as they basically rely on me to hold the band together.

Can anyone give me advice? Like I said this new band is something I would really like to do. I feel I am ready to commit to something like this, the music would be amazing, and we would have a wonderful time doing something we love to do.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Band Problems... Need advice

To the current guys you say "buh, bye".
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

yep.

Comment

it's hard to drop guys and move on, but if nothing's happening with your current band, then GO - run like the wind and never look back. just don't burn any bridges because you never know when you may want to work with somebody again.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Loyality is good, but it sounds like for your own growth and opportunity it is time to move on.
          Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I'd say go for it as well - you might well regret it if you don't. It doesn't have to be nasty with your current group, but if they're all relying on you to keep it together, it doesn't sound like they're really that into it enough for them to be able justify getting pissy....also, access to cheap gear is always good [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Sorry to be harsh, but screw them.

If they can't commit themselves to the level you seek, you have to keep looking.

Go to the new band now.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Well , this depends.

I mean you'll be joining a band that already has their formula , agenda and writing style established.

You must see if you can co-write and maybe introduce some of your material and ideas into the band..

otherwise , you'll just be learning their material..without the "satisfaction" of creating your own music..

I'd talk to them further and see how "open" they are if you wanted to contribute in writing counter parts and riffs and whatnot..

If they are set against having another writer..this may get VERY old quick..

I'm not looking at tomorrow..I'm looking at months ahead.

I was offered this same postion in a local band that was signed to Massacre records..for the last 8 years..I keep refusing. They have one writer and will not bend..therefore I will not subject myself of playing for a band Nazi.

If its a "cover" band..different story ..go for it!

Just thinkin',

Bill
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Lets see here...you want to suceed, and they want to practice twice a month.

What was your question again? Talk about a no-brainer!

Comment

Sounds like the situation I was in a few months back. I was in a band that was going nowhere. It seems like every time we got a gig, somebody in the band would do something stupid like not show up, fight with their old lady, get too wasted to play etc... and ruin the opportunity and burn bridges at every original rock bar in town. We would get together once a week, but it was an accomplishment to get through the set due to practice being an excuse to party rather than make music. Not only that, they were playing the same songs that they wrote 10 years ago and had no drive to grow. I put up with it for a year, but eventually quit and it was the best decision I had ever made. You're only young once and you've got to do what you think is best for you.

Comment

It was even harder for me to make the change I did a year ago. I have a hard time walking away from a fun project, but I had the gigging bug again.

I was jammin with an absolutely killer bass played and a drummer, but we suffered from LSD (Lead Singer Disease) and couldn't get a singer. We either didn't like thier style, or like what happened with about 4 of them in a row, they would kick ass for about 2-3 weeks learning a good deal of our songs, and then do nothing for 4 more weeks..... The drummer was another problem. He was one who rarely played the same thing twice and had a so-so meter, but the big thing was that he could only pley Friday or Saturday due to his schedlue.

It was tuff but I made a change to a different group of guys with no singer. After a drummer change and a singer added, we have 4 gigs under our belts and 2 more lined up this month. I think I made the right choice.

Matt

Comment

I got together with the guitar player last night. He also goes to production school, works in the PA department at guitar center, can get us free recording at some of the nicest studios around here, and is a killer guitar player. This guy can do arpeggios like no one's business. Him and I sat down last night and starting play some stuff and I could tell something was there. We seemed to click pretty well. I played the whole band some of my stuff and they thought it had a lot of potential. I am prett flexible about the stuff that I write, and I feel that between them and I we could really make my material and their existing stuff sound great...

Comment

it sounds like you have already decided. do what is best for you, and good luck!!!
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Ya I am thinking this is going to be pretty cool. We will more than likely get some recordings up here in a month or so. The guitarist is buying some new gear, so he is going to let me use his Line 6 stack. I think he runs the fbv board into a line 6 stack. I may be buying it from him if everything works out. He also has a nice les paul that I may be playing instead of my kelly. I want to get pics of his kelly so you guys can help me identify it...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              To the current guys you say "buh, bye".

[/ QUOTE ]
                              +1

sounds like you might need to email them since you don't get together much [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X