Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - IE problem

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with this stupid pop-up ad on Internet Explorer. I made sure "block pop ups" is checked off. I also deleted all files & cookies and cleared the history folder. The ad below pops up every 10 minutes or so, even if I close all Internet windows. I use DSL, so I'm online all the time, but I think if I shut off the modem, it will still pop up with a "server not found" message.

Any ideas how to stop this? It's really annoying! I woke this morning to use the PC and there were 22 windows open with this same ad:

Re: Help - IE problem

Congrats, you have spyware. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and/or Microsoft's Anti-Spyware (or some other flavor of that sort of thing) until it's gone.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Yeah, what he said!

For a second I thought John Schaffner was giving you problems [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Thanks guys! Do I get that software from Download.com or should I buy it at a store? Also, how did I get the spyware on my PC in the first place? I only use this site, Ebay and the Les Paul Forum on my PC......but my kids have been using the PC a lot lately too.....so, is it from a certain site?

Thanks again!

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

It is probably from trying to find something free on the internet - free music searches or movies will turn up sites with spyware all over them.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] well, the Microsoft one doesn't fix it....the popups still happen....onto the next one......

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Congrats, you have spyware. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and/or Microsoft's Anti-Spyware until it's gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

FIRST OFF!!! Go to Add-Remove programs and remove all "smiley" associated programs as well as any and all "Toolbars". I bet that is how you got the initial spyware. Then run all 3 of those. Also let Microsoft Real-Time protection run. If you still have them after you run the quick scan, let them run a deep scan. If you still have it afterwards, Format and Re-load. There is spyware out there that just cannot be sucessfully removed completely from your system.

Matt

Comment

Been using Spybot Seek and Destroy for a number of years now. Never has failed me.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

-Nate
                  Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    There is spyware out there that just cannot be sucessfully removed completely from your system.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's simply not true. Anything can be removed. Some of it can be hard but it can all be removed.

Formatting and reinstalling should not be necessary.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I don't know if this'll help ya any, but since I started using Mozilla Firefox I haven't had the spyware problem at all. Runs just as good, and faster than IE too. Run those programs and give this browser a try if you already haven't done so

Comment

like mentioned switch to the Mozilla Firefox browser (it's free)instead of using IE. a ton less headache since i switched too

Comment

...And if you know how to tweak Mozilla Firefox, you can get INCREDIBLY fast results...

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

The adware didn't work either. Just installed Spybot and ran it.....hopefully the problem is fixed now.....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              There is spyware out there that just cannot be sucessfully removed completely from your system.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's simply not true. Anything can be removed. Some of it can be hard but it can all be removed.

Formatting and reinstalling should not be necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

That simply is true. It may be able to be removed, but you and I will never find it nor will Spybot, Adware, MS Anti-Spyware, Hijack This, Clean Sweep or any of them. I have seen it many times. One of the versions of Shopping Buddy from Cashback used to be one of them. Not removeable by ANY anti-spyware software known to man. I haven't seen it in a while though.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X