Played a show last night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a show last night...

Last night I played a show with the thrash band I'm in. It took place at this smaller Irish Pub nearby the University of Washington; they had a max capacity of about... 75 people I think? Having never been there, I didn't really know what to expect but when we showed up it was a lot smaller than I had expected. No stage, just a small area nearby the front for the bands to set up and play. There was no seperation between the bands and the crowd; they were a good 1 or 2 feet apart. The PA was only used for vocals. Even before the music had started the pub was packed to the brim, tons of people inside to the point of where there was a big line outside. I guess they hit max capacity almost immediately, but they let more and more people in until there was about 100 folks inside.

The first band played and they were a sort of traditional heavy metal band (Iron Maiden-ish), with vocals that toggled between singing and sort of screaming (think 3 Inches Of Blood). Solid set with some excellent riffs and soloing.

Second band played and they were sort of a metal / punk type band, hard to describe, but they played a solid set as well.

We were the last band to play. Our style is straight up 80's thrash, Dark Angel, Exodus, Forbidden, early Slayer, etc. And because the bassist and I are crazy bastards, he brought his fridge bass cab and I brought my 5150 fullstack. Other guitarist just was sporting a 2203 halfstack. We had so little room that I literally had to stand nearby the entrance of the pub and play, and we were constantly bumping into each other or hitting each other with flying hair. Everyone in the band was pretty much headbanging nonstop (my hair was waaay tangled by the time I got home). Drunk people kept going out for a bit and then coming back in and bumping into me, which kept messing up my playing, so I was kinda screwing up here and there. Then at one point I was playing and all of the sudden my guitar just turned off and nothing was coming out, so I looked at my amp and pedals, yep still everything was as it should be.. I look outside and see some drunk chick laying on her back on the pavement in the street and my cord wrapped about her foot; she was so drunk she didn't realize she was dragging my cord with her and tripped on it, thus pulling it out of my guitar. This pissed me off a bit, as I was out of comission for a good 45 seconds to a minute of one of my favorite songs we play but oh well. The show went on with more drunken headbanging by folks in the crowd and more yelling.

We played every song we knew, played around 45-55 minutes and then hit the last song in our set. The vocalist announces that its a bit of a surprise and he goes into this big build up saying... "This next song I'm sure all of you know. Its a a cut off of the seminal 1986 release by Dark Angel, 'Darkness Descends'" (at this point everyone starts flipping out and cheering... There was a good balance of mid-20's to early 30's folk that were pretty much picking up Darkness Descends as their first thrash album) "Its called... The BURNING OF... SODOM!" and we went right into the song, all joining in and people just started headbanging a bit which was pretty bad ass. Then as it shifted into the second part with the punches everyone was banging their heads in unison to them. Right as everyone joins in with the big scream, one person pretty much pushed another and the whole floor erupted in a sizeable pit, people pushing, slamming into each other, knocking each other over. Then people started waving their beers all over the place, beer flying everywhere, covering everyone in the club, drenching my black Jackson KV, the drummers drumset - everything and everywhere. I was like "Fuck it" and ran right into the pit while still playing. Eventually made it out for the first chorus, during which everyone in the club was belting out the chorus, yelling all in unison, of course the mic got passed around. When we finished the song it was crazy, the people wanted more, but we had nothing - all of our originals had been played. Everyone was cheering and we got paid a ton of compliments. Shit like "You guys play Dark Angel better than the actual band does" to the drummer "Gene Hoglan would be proud" and to me in the other guitarist "I can't believe you guys have only been playing together for 2 months, you play off of each other so well" and "That was fucking awesome!"

I really wish I could've had a video recording of that so when people ask me why I play metal I could just pop that in and show them. What a crazy night.

Just had to share my little story. Thanks for reading if you did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Played a show last night...

kickass [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] playing live is awesome....

Comment

Should've posted it here, I work right outside the U district. Did you guy's play Earls??
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I believe between a set, I would have been highly encouraged to take a leak on said passed out drunk female.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Lou- [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Rob- That is KICKASS!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          AWESOMENESS! That is one show I would have loved to have seen. Congrats on such a stellar performance!
          I love seeing bands just gettin' it on and enjoying the music. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Wish I could have been there...sounds fun!! Congrats on an awesomely fun show!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Man I got shivers down me back while reading that! Awesome!
              You HAVE to video the next show!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sounds like you guys kicked ass!!!....WTG and keep it up.
                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

What a GREAT Night!!! That was a kick-ass read...Thanks!!

Comment

Ah yes, Playing live - when it goes well, is the best "high" there is.....Wish I could have seen that one.
                    Keep-a-Rockin !

Comment

This is the best story I've read here! Fuck.ng great [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      Check my bands!
                      www.myspace.com/magicktr
                      www.myspace.com/sinif64
                      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I'm glad you guys enjoyed my story. Thanks for the comments and responses. Like I said before, that night was just another example of why I love metal and playing live. I only wish all shows could have such a good reaction in the end. I'm trying to track down some folks that took photos, hopefully they got some photo evidence of people flipping out.

The aftermath was pretty amusing though, almost everyone that I spoke with told me that they were hung over as all hell. The vocalist for my other band was there and he apparently called in sick to work and he even missed practice the next day from being so hung over. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                        Should've posted it here, I work right outside the U district. Did you guy's play Earls??

[/ QUOTE ]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Yeah.. I kind of forgot all about posting info for the show. My roommate came by and they wouldn't let him in the pub, he said there was around 20-30 people waiting outside plus 100-ish inside the pub watching the show. It was pretty crazy. We played at Galway Arms, which is right across from the Irish Immigrant, University and 52nd. Swing by there, its a small pub, but the joint was packed.

[ QUOTE ]
                        I believe between a set, I would have been highly encouraged to take a leak on said passed out drunk female.-Lou

[/ QUOTE ]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Well, actually, according to one of my friends that was watching me, I pretty much was headbanging, the chick took a dive and my guitar cut out and I just stood there looking mega-pissed off for like 30 seconds while she was getting her foot untangled. He said it looked like I was going to kill someone. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I forgot to mention, while we were waiting to leave after last call and chatting with some folks outside the club there was a guy across the street just leaning against this bike small bike rack, swaying around, obviously drunk as all hell. His knees started bending and you could tell that he really wanted to fall asleep / pass out, but he was resisting. He ended up losing it and just passing out where he stood, sliding off of the bike rack and doing a face plant into the pavement.. Ouch! One of the street cleaning dudes was messing around and sweeping stuff into him (yes, mean, but it was really really funny to us drunks...) and we started yelling stuff at him. One of my buddies went over there and woke the dude up, encouraging him to get up and stay awake. One of the club owners that was closing up shop handed him a bottle of water and he started drinking it, but after a while he decided to set the bottle down and go back to leaning against the bike rack. Sure enough after a good 10 minutes he started swaying around a lot and this time he did a face plant right into a nearby tree.. Ouch... [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] The guy was fine and sitting down on the side walk, but holy shit, he was a wreck.

Anyways... Time for sleep. [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X