Gamers: Castlevania - Curse Of Darkness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamers: Castlevania - Curse Of Darkness

Anyone else got this for either PS2 or XBox? I got it for PS2 Friday night. It's HUGE! Bigger than SOTN that's for sure. Of course it's 3D again, like Lament Of Innocence, and it's pretty much a sequel to that - looks like they're gonna keep doing "prequels" until they catch up to the first game.
    It'd be nice if they re-did the old 2D games (1,2, and 3) in 3D.

Anyhoo, I was playing it earlier and went through the Tower of Eternity, then when I finally got to the top (Nothing lasts forever - even Eternity [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) I used my Bird-type Innocent Devil (upgraded to a Dragon) to fly towards the other tower (Tower of Evermore - cue Zeppelin IV [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
    I died in the first room [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here's the "fun" part: I just went back through the first Tower, and flew towards the other one, but it put me back outside the base of the first tower [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Odd.

Anyhoo, feel free to geek out with me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Gamers: Castlevania - Curse Of Darkness

Damn!!A new Castlevania game and I knew nothing about it!thanks for the post Newc.Too bad I bought Metal Gear Solid 3 two days ago (great game btw).It will be my next purchase!

Comment

I don't have either system. I was a huge fan of the series, but stopped playing. When the new XBox or PS3 comes out I might pick it up

Comment

Well, I just finished Quake4 on the PC, and I'm currently playing F.E.A.R... Q4 was great, and FEAR is just creepy as hell. After that I've got Serious Sam 2 to play... lol. No time for my Xbox these days...
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Symphony of the night was sweet. we played it so much that the disk wore out and now it takes forever to load. I know it was one of those games that could be played over and over.
          Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
          The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Finally made it to the other tower, and got killed again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            After about the 4th time of getting killed in the 2nd tower (made it down to the 46th floor at least), I realized what was killing me - one big guy with one big hand smacking me like a dog [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Talk about a one-hit-wonder [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I'm a Castlevania nut. I wish they'd put the other ones for Saturn and Genesis and the other systems on the PS2 or XB - I wanna play 'em but not have 50 machines laying around [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

There's also a couple of new features for the series:
            -Warp Chairs. There are special rooms in each area that contain a chair that you sit in and select another area to warp to. Killer!
            -Memorial Tickets. When you enter a Save Room, you can either Save the game or select that point to serve as a Warp-To point when using a Memorial Ticket (I think these were in SOTN?). Very handy when you have to warp back to Julia's Shop (there's always a shop, and this time it's run by a hot young thang named Julia, who just happens to be the spitting image of your dead girlfriend in the game).

There's also more plot twists - two mysterious figures that you encounter along the way who have their own agenda.

The coolest feature so far is the Helper Monkeys - Innocent Devils (note the oxymoron) that fight alongside of you and evolve according to what weapon class you are using. Each one has 4 or 5 different evolutionary paths, and combined with the backtracking you have to do, the replay is DEFINITELY there.

And Hector (you) also has combos for each weapon type. Lots of combos.
            Weapon classes are Sword, Axe, Fist, and Special. Fist includes things like the Knuckle Duster (SOTN) and other similar hand-worn weapons. These all have the same basic moves - punches and karate kicks and leg whips and such.
            The Sepcial class is hilarious - so far I've got a Baseball Bat with nails in it (only one move for that one - SWING BATTAH!) and a Deck Brush [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            The Deck Brush (otherwise known as a push broom) is truly bad, and if you watch one of the combos, he ends with a little "push push" animation like he's sweeping up the trash [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Newc-I am going to nerd it up with you... It was a MEAL ticket... at least I think it was. It always took you back to the library, which sucked because it took you forever to get you back to where you needed to go. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I wish they'd put the other ones for Saturn and Genesis and the other systems on the PS2 or XB - I wanna play 'em but not have 50 machines laying around

[/ QUOTE ]

Emulators Newc, think, "Emulators!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Might be my only hope [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The last Castlevania I played was SotN for PS1. Damn killer game.

Comment

Then you've missed a pretty good run. There was one on the N64 (2 actually, but the second was just the first one with a few added things - still blew) but it pretty much blew. That was the first one in 3D.
                      Had it not been a Castlevania title, it woulda seemed better.

Anyhoo, Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness for PS2. If you've played Devil May Cry, these two are close enough. They were pretty much modeled after SOTN as far as expanse and contents.

Remember the chair you could sit in and the little old lady would give you food (or spikes would come out of the curtain)? You can do that kinda stuff in COD. There's also more of a role-playing element to it with the Helper Monkeys, as you have multiple upgrade paths for them, as well as a nice place to quickly upgrade them without a lot of backtracking.

Comment

I may have to pick up LoI for PS2, I mean, it's been out for awhile right? Should be greatest hits list or whatever, I don't mind spending 50$, but I don't know if I'll like it :P Then again, it may be like some of the games, come out on GH, then discontinued, and still run a fortune.

Comment

Working...
                        X