Tossing a band member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tossing a band member

Never had to do this before. How did you guys handle it?? I mean the guy has his "mouth" in it (he talks a good game) but after 4 months he can still only play a few of our songs, and misses a LOT of practice. He needs it the most. His g/f doesn't want him to be in the band, and I'm sure that's stressful for him..but...we have the band to think about. We are trying to get our demo done. That was this weekends mission. Friday he calls says he can't make it, he's having a bad day. Sunday he calls, going to be really late, this was AFTER he was 1 1/2 hours late. Then he says well, can't we just do this next week?? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] The rest of us have all of our parts done. If I had a bass, I would have done his too. We need to get out and play more, we can't accomplish that w/o the demo. We can't get the demo done because of him.
    So, he's gotta go. I feel for the guy, but we have given him SEVERAL chances.

Re: Tossing a band member

Just tell him he's out. You will be doing him a favor. He probably wants out anyway. Just help him make his move out the door. I am sure he is expecting it and knows perfectly well why he is being booted. Don't go into a long drawn out explination too. Just tell him like it is. See ya.

Comment

+1

Comment

Just ask him if he knows of any good bass players cause you are looking for one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I like that one

If he needs actual tossing, I am for hire [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

His mouth may be in it,but not his heart.Let Ron toss his ass [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].....................
            Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Real simple: "You're obviously torn between the band and your g/f, and are making neither happy right now. Go make your g/f happy, and we'll find a bass player who makes us happy."

How can he argue with that? If he does, well he's just blown y'all off too many times. His agenda is not yours.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Tell him what you told us, it is pretty clear and straight to the point. The longer you wait the greater the possibility that this situation turns the band into a downer and source of frustration for yourself and the others.
                Good luck.
                "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Re: Tossing a band member *DELETED*

Post deleted by jgcable

Comment

That's tough for Jeri to say when she's married...
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Sounds like you've got our old bass player. Same exact scenario. Sorry to hear that. With our band, though, he was a dear friend from even before the band started. That made it even more tough. But the band has to do what is best for the collective, and if everyone else agrees, its time to move on. It might be possible to find an interim bassist for the demo, do you know guys in another band that might help out? Once the demo is done then it will be (feasibly) be easier to secure another permanent bassist since 1. they'll have the songs on cd to learn, and 2. it will be obvious that you're serious about what you're doing.
                      The one thing I've learned is that people that display that type of behavior rarely (if ever) turn into reliable bandmates at a later time.
                      Do the right thing. Good luck.
                      -Jon G

Comment

Re: Tossing a band member *DELETED*

Post deleted by jgcable

Comment

We just got a new bass player. The old one was constantly saying he wasn't sure he could pull it off, yadda yadda yadda, so we got a new bass player, simple as that. If the other guy ever calls and asks what is going on, I'll say "well, you didn't want to be in the band right?"
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Zeeg - you did let the old bass player go first, right?

Comment

I gave my drummer the boot..I said a REAL drummer can play to a click track...C YA!

Fuggem..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X