Tossing a band member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tossing a band member

I got so pissed at an old bass player once I punched him out right on stage. It was a cheap shot, but I was always a fan of the sucker punch.
    JCF'rs..... take my advise, on a serious note...
    If you are serious about your band and your music you have to put your feelings and your friendships aside in regards to tossing a crummy bandmate. Remember, if you are trying to make it its business. If you were fukking up at your job, your boss would fire you, right? Same thing.
    Comments made by bandmates such as:
    "We are just a crappy bar band" OR
    "I'm in it just for the fun of it" OR
    "Lets move on to something else, I'll figure out that part later"
    These comments won't and don't cut it. You should take the pro approach even if you aren't playing in big arena's.
    You should have the pro attitude even if you aren't looking to make it.
    When you buy a new guitar or a new amp, do you walk into the store with your eyes closed and take anything the salesperson hands you? NOPE.
    You research, you demo lots of gear before you make a choice. Its important to you.. right?
    Learning the song correctly is important to you.. right?
    Strings, pics, cords etc. are all important to you.. right?
    The answer to all these questions are YES.
    Then riddle me this... why are there so many unsigned bands with an obvious crappy band member in them? Crappy singers, hack guitarists, bass players who can't keep time or learn songs wrong, drummers who have no timing.
    I'll tell you why. Its because of the infliction that many local bands that never made it have.
    Its called N.B.S.
    NO BALLS SYNDROME
    Get some balls. Take your craft serious. Music is fun. Its even more fun when it sounds good.

Comment

Sounds like what our singer did - wanted out, but wasn't man enough to tell us. So he kept f'ing' up by not showing up, showing up late, blowing off booked studio time that we paid.. Same issue - we were buds LONG before the band... finally we had enough, and I just got stuck booting his (_!_)
      Do everyone involved a favor, and get rid of him. Seems tough, but it'll be less headaches in the long run
      Good luck with the demo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Zeeg - you did let the old bass player go first, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um.....yeah, sure we did. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Just tell the guy straight up what the deal is. If he's a friend, warn to get his shit together before he tries to join another band. There is nothing worse than dealing with bandmembers who don't cut it. Make the move swiftly and make it stick. If he gets another chance, you run a huge risk of an immediate improvement followed by a descent back to old behaviors. Good luck!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Music is fun. Its even more fun when it sounds good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are words to remember.

Comment

Drink a lot of Jack Daniels and wave a gun in his face. That would get me to leave a band.

Comment

Ace has a great Idea..

Or you can do what I did once..pack the dude's stuff and leave it outside your rehearsal room door..

I did that to my old drummer once..and moved a new drummer in...he never even came in while we praticing..he just dried his tears...thought we were better without him..and left... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

He called me later that night and called me a dick..but said we did sound pretty good though...you gotta respect that.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ive been put into the situation where i had to be the dick to make the call.Freakin cowards!!! There is'nt a good way other then the truth. The person is human, n will be hurt by rejection.In the end though, its about your bands goals, not the individuals.Good luck.

Comment

Pack his stuff. Done that before. Even helped move it. But get it out and get a new serious bass player in. Otherwise you guys will go nowhere and probably break up too.

Comment

Ok, so he shows up for practice today (finally) 45 mins late. So we stop jammin, and tell him, he's out. He BEGS for another chance, saying we aren't doing him right etc...this went on for 15-20 mins. I think he finally understands that he's out, and we are tired of being held up because of him. Anyhow, thanks for the advice, and I know we made the best decision for the band...now to find a bass player...

Comment

We kicked our bass player out of both bands yesterday, after a weekend of discussion between the other members. Wasn't fun at all, but necessary. Though a great player, his character lacks in just too many aspects.

Right now he makes the biggest drama ever about it.
                        And proves it was the best decision we ever made concerning the band. I guess we finally got balls now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks to all who commented in this thread, you helped us alot! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
                        X