Anyone here take Judo or Ju Jitsu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here take Judo or Ju Jitsu?

I started these classes up a week back, and man, they are kicking my rear!

I've got informal MMA training, a felt belts in Tang Soo Do, and some other acheivements, hardly note worthy. I figured, I'd have a handle one it really well, but I feel kind of stupid.

Do any of you take Judo or Ju Jitsu?

Re: Anyone here take Judo or Ju Jitsu?

I teach self-defense to correctional officers that is based on ju jitsu. It's all about joint manipulation. Really great stuff.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

I took Judo for maybe 6 months... I didn't like it, I'm not really into grappling. It does teach you some good stuff though. I'm taking Wing Chun (Chinese Boxing or Gung Fu) currently. I love it!

Comment

I took judo for.. don't know how long. I had the orange belt (:
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

No, but I'm really good at Mortal Combat LOL.
          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Well, some of the techniques I do, are black belt techniques, and then some I do are white belt, et cetera.

My friends and I would just get self teaching tapes, and beat the hell out of each other (literally).

I went to this class, and everything is so different for me. I go to get into my stance, (one foot infront of the other, side facing opponent, one hand higher than the other, ready for strikes, kicks, whatever...I'm used to point sparring competition). The stance for judo, is facing the opponent, back straight, knees bent, hands OPEN in front of you...really goofy.

I'm taking Judo and JuJitsu classes, and I'll be progressing in both. I guess Judo belts are a test, and then competitions, and then JuJitsu, is a test.

Hell, I think it's a lot of fun, and I can tell you something, I'm sore as a mother, so I'm at least getting a work out!

Comment

I used to do both karate (Shotokan & Kyoushinkai) and judo, but I really got into Wing Chun a few years back. Unfortunately I developed problems with my knees and wrists, so I had to quit it. =(

Comment

I took informal JKD lessons from a friend who instructed at a police academy... it showed me how much I *hate* fighting, and how badly someone that doesn't look it could put you down. The guy who was teaching me was a skinny beanpole looking dude who could seal most people's fate pretty quickly. JKD was more about ending a fight quickly and taking someone out than anything with real structure. Sometimes I miss it, but I don't miss being hit/thrown/pressure pointed.

Pete

Comment

I am a samurai. Just look at my hair.

Actually, I'm a ninja.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I teach self-defense to correctional officers that is based on ju jitsu. It's all about joint manipulation. Really great stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I manipulated many joints in my day...guess you could call me joint master [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      JKD was more about ending a fight quickly and taking someone out than anything with real structure. Sometimes I miss it, but I don't miss being hit/thrown/pressure pointed.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      That's also what Wing Chun is about (at least the branches that stem from Yip Man, Bruce Lee's Wing Chun teacher). Bruce then went on to form Jeet Kune Do when he moved to the US, so those two styles are related. =)

Luckilly I've never had to defend myself out on the streets, and if I was faced with a gun or a knife, I'd rather surrender my wallet than taking any chances.

Comment

I did a kung fu style (Bak Pai Tai Chi Tong Long - a mish mash of long fist, Tai Chi & Praying Mantis - excuse my spelling) while at school, but found it a bit "flowery" (not a very good class or teacher, mind you). Visited a club in London & got my first introduction to Pink Floyd - but was late for the class the next day as the stoners I was staying with didn't wake up in time. My first introduction to handstand pushups followed shortly after. Started Shotokan at university & stuck with it until my knee operation (a year or two after I got my 1st Dan. Warming up for a competition & "click")! Started Judo some years later & got thrown around by guys who looked like nerds. Physically very demanding - especially when you try to use strength instead of technique! I don't do anything now, but the idea of getting back into martial arts is always in the back of my mind. Always wanted to try Ju Jitsu.......................
                        Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

I took Tae Kwon Do for several years and I consider it next to worthless in a real world situation. In a 6 month cross training class of Aikido, Judo, Kung Fu, Jeet Kun Do (?), and Jiu Jitsu I learned more practical applications than in my entire formal training period.
                          I then went on to compete in Muai Thai kickboxing which I did more for CV health than anything else but it offers some great techniques that can be used in self defense as well.

Comment

I wrestled in high school and was as mediocre as they come, but whatever training i did learn helped me greatly. i have been able to come out on top in every scrap i ever got in...including juiced up dudes that were twice my size.

a few years ago, the wrestlers and brazilian jiu jitsu folks were dominating the UFC, but now the UFC has evolved so rapidly that any UFC fighter worth his salt can avoid a joint lock. And the striking power of a UFC fighter eliminates the days of any college wrestler coming in off the street and doing well. but the wrestlers who can adapt do tend to dominate (like Matt Hughes).

I wish there were public classes for wrestling...i would pursue it a lot more earnestly as opposed to when i was in high school and getting stoned before practice. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But the closest thing you're going to come to that is a brazilian jiu jitsu dojo.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

i want to take tai zen. suppossedly that's attack and kill when you're fighting 15 skin heads and you're with your singer. i heard it's a clean house situation, and that's what i'm gonna do, clean this world up and beat the shit outof it.
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                              X