monitor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor question

so my old pc speakers are about to bite the dust. i wonder if it's possible to run a more high-end audio system, e.g. studio type monitors with a PC? i have all of my music copied to my PC's harddrive, and therefore i'm always listening to music using the PC, and i'd like to get a better quality sound than just the bog standard pc speakers.
    i don't know jack about this whole thing, though. can i even use monitors with my pc? i mean, there's only my soundcard's line-out, and i'm not sure how this could fit to the monitors.
    in addition to that, what would you recommend?

please, enlighten me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: monitor question

You can run powered studio monitors using the line out from your sound card with no problem. You'll just need to get the correct adapters for the type of input that the monitors have. I have a pair of KRK V6 monitors that I switch around between devices. They have neutrik connectors and can be adapted to work with just about any source. If you want to get the best performance,least noise, etc., you may want to upgrade to a soundcard with outputs that match your monitors. There are plenty of gurus around here to help you with that.

Comment

I use my Soundcard into a 100 watt per channel amplifier and out into two tannoy nearfields... Works great.

Comment

ok, so at least technically it's possible. great!

one more thing: i don't want to go super expensive, as i'm not doing any "real" studio work, i.e. i'm not using my pc for mixing purposes. i'm just looking for a speaker system that's more geared towards audio applications, with a more flat frequency response than the wal mart type pc speakers. something with less coloration, also in order to be able to hear the individual instruments more clearly.

ATM i'm using a normal PC system consisting of 2 satellites and one subwoofer....i think the satellites are 12,5 watts RMS each, and the subwoofer is 30w rms. definitely enough power for my needs, but i don't really like the division of low end rumble coming from below the desk, and basically everything else squeezed through 2 pairs of tiny (about 1 inch i think) "speakers".

Comment

Well, theoretically, the sound coming from the subwoofer should be "directionless". Also, if you have a decent PC subwoofer + satellite system, the subwoofer will have a crossover so that only high frequencies get sent to the satellites.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Not sure what's available for a good price over there, but I was looking at M-Audio BX5 powered monitors as an option right when Jacksonite put the KRKs up for sale in the classifieds at a price too good to pass up. Musician's Friend sells the BX5s for $199/pr. I've seen KRK RP-5 Rockits go for about that price used on eBay, and they are really great for the price. Behringer or Edirol would be a low cost way to go. Some people say they are OK, some say they are crap. The key thing you're looking for with powered monitors is that they are biamped, with an amp for low end & another for highs to reduce distortion when the low frequency calls for more power. The pricier ones tend to have more complex crossover circuitry to split frequencies. The other way to go is like John's setup, with an amp & passive monitors.

Comment

Yes and they make a BIG difference especially if you record and mix via the PC. I use Event TRS-6's with mine, they are powered near field monitors that have RCA, 1/4 and XLR inputs. I use an M-Audio Firewire 1814 outs to the Event's.

If possible go listen to them all in various price ranges. I prefer the flattest response I can get when I mix, a lot of them are not flat and are really just speakers color the sound more that you'd think... not monitors [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

If you want to do that, you'll need to get a decent reference quality power amp to power those speakers. If your soundcard is just a generic soundcard, you won't get the necessary DAC quality to justify spending a lot on reference studio type speakers.

If you do a bit of gaming, you'd probably be better off using a nice DTS AC3 etc... surround receiver, especially if your soundcard supports S/PDIF... then you'll also be able to record and create stuff in surround. Just a thought.

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

You can go as simple as a Home Stereo Amplifier hooked to the Line/Mic amp and a pair of decent speakers with good results, or get a better sound card with Optical out and a Pro Monitor System.

Matt

Comment

thanks for the input.

xenophobe, no, i don't do any gaming. once in a while i'm playing rainbow 6 - raven shield, as well as elite force 2, but thats really just a once in a while thing.

shawn, maybe you misunderstood me, i was trying to say that i do NOT do any mixing (at least no real quality stuff). i'm just looking for a set of speakers that makes listening to CD's even more enjoyable (and maybe with HQ speakers it's also easier to figure out some stuff [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

really, i don't want to make this whole thing too expensive. halfway decent PC speakers can be bought for around 100-150 euro. i think the whole thing shouldn't cost more than like 300-350 euro MAX.
                    mmh...one more question: when talking about this lower price league, do you guys think it would be worth the extra $$? or should i take this money and invest it into some high end pc speakers rather than the more low-end monitor stuff?

Comment

Seeing as you really aren't recording or mixing, you probably want to stay away from Studio Monitors as they are by design a "Flat Response" speaker. Here is some info on Flat Response Monitors Info
                      I think you will be happy with some better PC speakers or a Home Audio Reciever and a pair of decent home speakers.

Matt

Comment

I have a 19" Samsung LCD Monitor... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X