Bass Shredding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass Shredding

well Bill, I guess you are one of the few who thinks Billy is sloppy, if he is sloppy then why Vai, Bozzio and all the BEST hire him all the time. I never really heard that some other bass god talks shit about him. If he does the easiest and stupidest shit then everyone could do it.. right? but I don't see that everyone does it.
    Yes, his live tone is weak, I don't like it either, it is thin and trebly, he probably tweaks his amp like that beacuse his tapping would cut thru in the mix (loudly) when the full band is playing. But when he is in the studio, he has a very full and punchy tone wich can be heard on the Mr. Big records. It is not super smooth like Stu Hamm's but it it's Billy's own thing, just like his playing style, he doesn't funk-slap, he does something different wich makes him very reconizable.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Wow Bill, congratz on being better than Billy Sheehan. Thats damn impressive. He is the best bass player I have ever seen live and I have seen a ton of them. I saw him several times shredding up a storm both righty and lefty. He broke into some jazz and fusion stuff that blew my mind. He then played Spanish Fly on bass totally clean both righty and lefty. Spanish Fly had just came out at the time.
      I will go as far as saying that he is the best bass player I have ever seen live.
      BTW... Neil Peart is the best drummer I have ever seen live and Uli Jon Roth is the best guitarist I have ever seen live although Yngwie Malmsteen and Tony Macalpine are right up there.

Comment

well he's in the click isn't he.. I guess..I dunno why E..That still puzzles me..

I Hear nothing special in his playing live or in studio..it's all slop..that sounds like bumble bees in a coffee can..

Billy Sheehan stated it was slop..it's on his very first instructional tape..that I played once..and laughed ..because it's a friggin' joke.

I didn't even buy the damn thing..a friend made me a copy..so at least it didn't cost me anything. Because I'd be pissed if I had to pay for that "lesson"..

And what did I say E.. I am a HUMBLE Mother Fucker ...when it comes to great players..you know I am...YOU KNOW I AM!!!!!

I don't say anyone SUCKS unless I can slay their ass..without question.

I have the mouth and the hands to back it up...I'm not just spme spewing jerk ..spewing spew..Man, I hate that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well you guys are welcome to your opinions..nothing personal..I did not attack anyone here..I don't care if you like or hate the guy's playing. Obviously people like him , he gets around.

This is just MY opinion on Billy's playing..it's nothing special..never was...never will be...IMO
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My pants are tighter than Billy's, if that's worth anything.

That clip is great and I love his playing. His playing on MacAlpine's Edge Of Insanity is incredible and some of my favorite bass playing ever. He and Tony are a great match.

Bill, I'll eat ass if you're better than him. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...and before you ask, no - not yours. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Bill, I'll eat ass if you're better than him

[/ QUOTE ]

AAAH MY EYES! It burns!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I knew this was going to happen..I did.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I told my bro John..they are going to crucify my ass over here..so I expected this.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

John G , no reason to congratz me..I didn't make it as a bass "god"..he did. I give him that much. Do I think I can smoke him..without a doubt in my mind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I taught a friend that was in Mike Varney's spotlight right next to Ritchie Kotzen in the '88 Guitar Player mag ..and he played for Greg Howe and Kotzen and that Mike Star dude from Burning Star ..the old Virgin Steele player...Dave Werchersky was his name. Dave got lucky with the talent he possesed and got a Carvin endorement..That was my introduction to Carvin..he practically gave me one ..to say thanks i guess , because I helped him alot. Dave gave it all up...he too got bored with it ..had a baby and quit..sold it all and never looked back , he was very damn good too..I got him tappin' like a demon, like a DEMON!!. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Billy Sheehan was also a Mike Varney find..I guess he got lucky..with the talent he posessed...so did many others.

I think there are better players out ther that get less or no credit..I think Sheehan would agree. and some of those players are right here on this board..

I could assemble a band from guys right here that would SMOKE!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yes, much Bong Smoke....

Comment

Sure that too.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well it helps me to relax.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I bet I could ..I'd play bass and do a project with the boards top three shredders..

we'll get ALL Racer X on steroids in this mother fucker!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Racer X..Speaking of whom I'd take John Andrette's solo over Billy's ANYDAY..so there! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

It's all ok Bill, but it sounded like Billy has done something really bad to you, you went after his throat and bashed im in the worst way like he is a total amateur.
                    I wouldn't personally call slop what he does, slop is when you miss the notes or the hit the wrong notes. I would call it nonsense, that is when you don't have any clue what are you doing. And he really doesn't have any clue, he plays by his ear, he doesn't know theory n'shit. But he has a perfect technical controll over his instrument. And he is a powerhouse when it comes to "playin for the song" and a great songwriter.
                    I personally like groovy funk/soul/jazz/fusion/r'n'b bass players: Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Stuart Hamm etc. the most but Billy is the only rock/prog player I dig, and I dig him more than those funk players.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Billy had his moments..I loved what he did with MacAlpine..I thought that was his finest moments..

I've heard and own all Billy's material..I'm not a cluless fuckstick.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

How in the fuck can I forget Victor Wooten..shame on me for that...Yes Wooten is the BOMB!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Am I jealous..Probably..I always wanted to make it..but I didn't it..it wasn't because I lacked the talent , FUCK NO. Maybe that's why a guy like Billy Sheehan makes me kinda bitter..Yeah , I guess that's why.

I'm happy for Billy ..Billy is good..NOT great..he's Good.

I know good and I know GREAT..

Comment

All I know is that Billy's red rubber pants are gay.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

"All I know is that Billy's red rubber pants are gay."

I have to go with Tim on this one..Rubber pants is NOT cool..let me repeat.. Rubber pants is NOT cool.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I mean I couldn't wear them..The Drak Marsupial would not breathe ..and therefore it would be angry at me..and I wouldn't want that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nobody's wants to feel the WRATH of The Dark Marsupial.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

How can you guys be talking about great bass players and James Jamerson has not come up? Or Flea? Or John Paul Jones? Or Oteil Burbridge?

Those guys can (could) deliver the goods man.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

rock stars dress "gay" when they are on the stage, tight pants, weird costumes, flowers and bright colors etc. etc. all that girly stuff. Chicks probably dig that shit.

Comment

Yes they can Tim..

James Jamerson is the father of funk..and I dig the Bootsy.. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

John Paul Jones and Flea are monstrous groove machines.. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

and I'm sure Otiel is awesome..whoever the fuck he is.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

E..Many women would LOVE the Dark Marsupial if they just gave him the chance.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X