• Show
Clear All

Re: Animosity between my band and other local band

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

James

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      why would you want to let them headline over you at your own gig?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you ALWAYS let the better/tighter/bigger bands headline... That's a sign of respect, not ass kissing, and the band you invite to your gig and know is better will know that too, and they'll also respect that you're giving them the better spot and will be much more inclined to reciprocate with show offers and support. Also, the fact that they're bringing a majority of the people to the show is great exposure too. Don't ruin it by being snobby.

Always make your peer bands see you in front for at least a few songs, and if the music is there, thrash, pit or headbang or whatever... Make your presence known and you'll get the same respect back most of the time.

Don't let EGO dictate starting orders, 'we're better than you' bullshit, or any drama. Just be cool, have fun, and congratulate bands for their kick ass sets, even if they fuck up or have bad moments.

The small club scene is ALL about networking and most of the time two or three bands will join and play most shows together... That's how you build a strong fan base and get recognition. You can act like a jerk AFTER you've gone triple platinum.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I can see that in some cases, particularly if all the bands are of the same genre. What James has described is a scene where most of the bands are of different genres, and it sounds like they're one of few that are metal. He said most are emo, I think.

I guess if you're pretty unknown, it'd also make sense to go on while the crowd is there. Otherwise you might headline to a half-empty house.

But to me, if you were going to give the headline slot to a band ONLY to apologize for your drummer talking shit about them, well that wouldn't be a good reason by itself.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Even if it's not the same genre. Usually, the headlining spot is just playing clean up crew anyways... The first or second slot is usually the best in terms of crowd size anywys, and I hate packing up late. lol Also, a lot less pressure to play well, and you can just have more fun, IMO.

I agree that only giving them the slot because you're apologizing is stupid.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The local bands all look emo! Nah most of the local bands are metalcore/screamo. The local scene has about 2 death metal bands, 1 thrash band, maybe 3 hardcore bands (proper NYHC sounding stuff) and like 2 trad-metal bands. If you dont have big flesh tunnels, girls jeans, and if you eat meat or drink, you aint going nowhere in this scene boy!
            Basically, we're creating an anti scene. Asking a lot of non-scene/fashioncore bands to play our gigs. And stuff. But tension is building in our band between our singer and our drummer and everyone else!!! Its all fun and games.
            At local gigs, its generally 3rd on which is the best slot, as everyone ignore the first band, and people will have got into the gig frame of mind by the second band, and will be drunk enough to really get stuck in for the third band [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            We're third band on December 11th [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            Xeno - Theres been many an instances where a big-ish scottish death metal band has come to the area and been supported by the local short haired scenesters and the venue has almost emptied when the death metal band comes on at the end. Typical eh?
            We're thinking we might offer this band a gig with us some time, but after the shit the drummer was pulling, I think we're even-stevens on being cocks to each other [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I might joke about that when I ring the guy up I speak to out that band. Say something like "You can play the 16th as long as your drummer doesnt try and start a fight with me. He might have all his mates there, but can he drum with a broken nose?" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Its all good fun!!!

James

Comment

Working...
            X