Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBox360 and the Evil that is WalMart

[rant]

Ok, so I live in a podunk wanna-be town of dirt farmers and day laborers. When the PSP was released, the local WallyWorld put up a sign (like everyone else) that they only had 60 units and they were first-come, first-serve. They sat there. Maybe sold one or two.
    So, I accepted the statistical standard used to measure expectation (read: assumed) the story would be the same with the 360.
    Unfortunately for me, WalMart had a plot which involved issuing "numbers" as claim checks, BUT they kinda sorta "forgot" to tell anyone about it.
    No sign in the store (just the "limited availability - one per customer" sign as usual), no printed "by reservation only" in the sale flyer.
    I found out about it the hard way - I heard it from someone in the store and then asked the clerk about it, and she affirmed that all the "numbers" were gone by 3 pm today.

Of course, the only other place in town that had them also had a full reservation, but at least they did advertise that they were taking them.

Thanks, WalMart. Sam Walton would surely be proud of you this day.
    Not.
    [/rant]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: XBox360 and the Evil that is WalMart

I just got my Xbox 360 about an hour ago. I'm hooking it up now.... wooooohoooooo.... I just found out that even if you get the one with the Hard Drive, most reg Xbox games won't play on it until you hook up Xbox live and download the right software (emulators i guess), and they're coming out with em's for about 20 games per week or so I was told. That pisses me off! I had to buy 1 game so I got Perfect Dark Zero... I really hope its worth the $50!!!

Comment

My local Kmart opens up tomorrow at 9 AM. Drove by tonight neer midnight and not a soul there. I may swing by and snag one in the AM if I feel compelled.

Comment

Personally, Im gonna wait. Ps3 comes out next year and then xbox will release halo 3 and a nice price drop. Also, this will give it time to iron out the bugs such as the first launch of the original xbox had a lot of harddrive problems and power problems blowing up. Also, im gonna make a prediction: The great days of sony are over. Xbox is the new king.

I even read somewhere that bill gates is deliberatly waiting until ps3 hits the shelves to release halo 3 to cripple their launch. Also, online gaming is the now and future and xbox live is a freaking monster providing their servers to all games. As far as sony, they leave it up to the individual game makers to provide servers with means you'll have to pay 10 bucks a month to just play ONE game and it won't be a server worth a shit. Microsoft provides the server for ALL games for a low price per year.

Microsoft's xbox will reign king

just a hunch, only time will tell

Oh, and I would be ALL OVER MADDEN 06. That looks freaking incredible [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

PS2 is cool for now...I'l wait to all the hype is over..my kid has like 50 freaking games and wants that new WWE Raw VS Smackdown for Christmans..

He's already hinting around for the 360..I told him to keep his pants and be patient..I mean how much better can graphics be than PS2..I'm sure it a bit better but how much..

they will come down in price after christmass..or next year..I prefer PS2 over X Box anywhoo ..I may just wait till PS3 and you probaly don't need an adaptor to play the PS2 games..I hope.

I don't play it..but he sure loves all the GTA and tony Hawk games..like the new one..he plays that constantly..which does have does decent music to them..

They only thing I play with him is Grand Turismo 4 because we race shelby and ac Cobras of course.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My son picked his up at midnight.I get up at 3 for work and they are still in his room playing it.Cutthroat,Madden 06 is badass,they are in there wearin it out right now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]....
            Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I am going to pick up my son's pre-order this morning.......yeah that look on my face is joy........

Comment

> According to the magazine article I read,the graphics processor in the PS3 is the equivalent of a gaming PC running 2 6600 GT video cards in the SLI format. If you have ever set behind a high-end gaming machine,you know exactly what I mean. A friend runs a AMD 64 4800+ X2 dual core processor,2 GB of Corsair XMS Pro,MSI mainboard and 2 6800 Ultras,along with 4 74 GB Raptors set up on RAID 0. It's so fast it's SCARY. Tommy D.
                "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

I swung by Target this morning - they only got 16 systems and there were fools there camping out all night starting at 6pm yesterday to get one. Yikes.

I strongly encourage everyone to buy an XBox 360 and lots of games and accessories though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

With The PS3, you can play PS2 games on it.\
                    Thats very important to may of us that have lots of PS2 games.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I strongly encourage everyone to buy an XBox 360 and lots of games and accessories though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Thats very important to many of us that have lots of PS2 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood the whole backwards compatability "issue" [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        I can play PS2 games on my PS2, and Xbox games on my Xbox. I don't sell my old systems to buy the new ones.
                        Keeping the old machines isn't that much of a burden.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

They only thing I play with him is Grand Turismo 4 because we race shelby and ac Cobras of course.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

forgot the part about getting spanked by GT-R's [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

chris

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            Thats very important to many of us that have lots of PS2 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood the whole backwards compatability "issue" [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            I can play PS2 games on my PS2, and Xbox games on my Xbox. I don't sell my old systems to buy the new ones.
                            Keeping the old machines isn't that much of a burden.

[/ QUOTE ]

The backwards compatability issue is two-fold: consider folks that don't have a PS/2 or XBox. So when they buy an XBox 360 or PS/3 they want to have some games to play. When these consoles hit the street there are typically only 10-20 games available at launch. So being able to play the old system's games becomes much more relevant in that case.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I swung by Target this morning - they only got 16 systems and there were fools there camping out all night starting at 6pm yesterday to get one. Yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, I thought you didn't work for them anymore?

I hit wallyworld at 9am, just to see - there wasn't even a display. No evidence at all. Of course, they had sold all the units by 12:01....

Keith
                              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Working...
                              X