Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hmmm.... physics question for you guys....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: hmmm.... physics question for you guys....

Here's the point. If you were moving backwards on the conveyor belt at the speed of a bullet and while moving backwards i suddenly appeared in front of you and you pulled the trigger on the gun, the bullet would fall harmlessly STRAIGHT DOWN.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Skateboard at the checkout counter? Didn't someone else mention bringing a toy car to the grocery store checkout aisle earlier in this thread? Oh yeah, that was me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hippietim said:

[ QUOTE ]
      Can I make a skateboard overcome a checkout counter conveyor? Absolutely. Can I make a skateboard overcome the mother of all speed compensating conveyors? Nope. Neither can you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] THIS is the problem I said a few times already BECAUSE IT WAS NOT CLEAR IN THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. A conveyor belt with all the power in the world will easily stop the plane, but it wasn't stated in the question.

Comment

wow, someone actually reads my posts - must be a fluke [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          But explain to me WHY the plane would remain stationery on a conveyor belt?

[/ QUOTE ]
          It would be stationary... otherwise it's a paper plane (stationery). [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Good one toejam. It's nice to see we have the same amount to add to this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Yeah. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I saw one or two answers on this earlier, I can't believe it's now 9 pages! I don't have that much attention span to read through the whole thing now, or I'll get a headache... and I probably wouldn't understand it anyway! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I can't believe this is still going on. I'll go with Lou and Rob on this. I am 100% positive of the answer, so if I am proven wrong, I will leave.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Let's see someone who's on the opposite side of the fence put themselves on the line. If you are that confident in your half-assed logic, then put your money where your mouth is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I am confident in my answer. I already emailed NASA about it, who knows if they will answer. I'm trying to find some useful address for Boeing too. I'm going to email local manufacturer Adam Aircraft here in a minute.
                    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Anyone so confident in their answer that the plane WONT take off, they would be willing to bet a guitar?
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Let's send it to Mythbusters.
                        -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Anyone so confident in their answer that the plane WONT take off, they would be willing to bet a guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know enough about the physics of flight to say for sure. Howerver, I still think Lou is wrong about the skateboard on the checkout conveyor *if* the conveyor has the properties proposed in the original problem.

BTW, I asked a coworker that flies about this. Here's what he sent me:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/191034-1.html
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

This is silly (not so silly that I don't throw yet another post into the thread though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). VitaminG ended this on page 1.

Comment

This looks like a fun thing to pass time posting on harmony central or the esp forum.

The only way a plane would not move from an observer's perspective is if said observer is sitting on the wing. 8)

Comment

ok lets turn your almighty rope analogy around. i take said mighty rope. tie it to the rear of my pimpin ass 747 (check da bling yo, look at all dem speakerz too) and anchor that motherfucker like nobodys business. gun that pimp ass 747 throttle, where'm i goin yo? nowhere... am i gaining any altitude? no... hit dat nitro shit cause my shitz all tricked out n phat. still goin nowhere... still no altitude n shit either. now isildur comes along with his mighty +6 sword n shit. it's da bomb all magic n shit. that motherfucker screams and cuts that mighty ass rope. does my ass take off right away? nope... cause that would make my 747 like a rocket n shit. dat would be buttah yo, do i roll a bit n take of yo? nope.... you know what? i stillz gotz to roll my ass down the runway to get the air movin' acrosst my wings. cause for a plane to take off it's got to reach a certain speed. if it's being kept from reachin that speed it's never takin off yo. till a place reaches that speed it aint nothing but a big ass bus ya'll. word to ya mutha! peace n shit!
                                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                                X