Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How hot your house?

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm comfortable at about 18 degrees Celsius. I'm not sure what that would be in the old fashioned Farenheit degrees. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in England and used my rule of thumb- double the celsius & add 32 (in this case, 18*2+32= 68). Gets it to within a degree or so and you can usually do it in your head.

As for heat, we replaced our woodstove downstairs and installed a gas stove (looks like a woodstove). We have it on low from about 5 PM until 7 AM and it's been great- our regular furnace has hardly come on this year so far. We have another gas stove upstairs for added bonus. Our house faces the south and is full of windows- we get tons of solar heat during the day and close the shades at night to keep it all in. Works great.

Comment

about 60 during the day. timed thermostat kicks it up to 67 for a couple hours a day first thing in the morning and right around early evening. other than that it's cold in here.
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        I'm comfortable at about 18 degrees Celsius. I'm not sure what that would be in the old fashioned Farenheit degrees. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in England and used my rule of thumb- double the celsius & add 32 (in this case, 18*2+32= 68). Gets it to within a degree or so and you can usually do it in your head.

As for heat, we replaced our woodstove downstairs and installed a gas stove (looks like a woodstove). We have it on low from about 5 PM until 7 AM and it's been great- our regular furnace has hardly come on this year so far. We have another gas stove upstairs for added bonus. Our house faces the south and is full of windows- we get tons of solar heat during the day and close the shades at night to keep it all in. Works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Running a gas stove for heat is inadvisable, as you're generating carbon monoxide that is probably not venting very well. People die of asphyxiation every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I like to keep it at 70 all year.

Comment

70 right now but depending on the gas bill-maybe around 65-68

Comment

From when I wake up to around 5pm it's around 15/16 degrees celcius.. and after 5pm I turn it up to 18
              "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

my moms heat is broken.....its been cold so far.

chris

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Running a gas stove for heat is inadvisable, as you're generating carbon monoxide that is probably not venting very well. People die of asphyxiation every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a gas stove like you're thinking about, it's a "woodstove" that's powered by gas instead of wood. Looks like this-

Gas Stoves

All perfectly safe and efficient- thanks for the concern, though!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    about 60 during the day. timed thermostat kicks it up to 67 for a couple hours a day first thing in the morning and right around early evening. other than that it's cold in here.

[/ QUOTE ] Mine is similar. 62 overnight. 2 hours in the morning it goes to 68 and then shuts off back to 62. In the early eve it comes back to 68 and goes to 62 from 10pm to 6:30 am.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

70 now, but when the kid leaves for school next Tues, down to 60.
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

There could be 10 feet of snow outside and i will still have the ac on.The colder the better for me.
                        "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

10 feet of snow in Dallas? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Wife won't let me go below 70. I'm going to be selling guitars to pay for the heat.

Comment

62 all day all night. My last NICOR two month "budget averaging" bill was $424. Ouch.

Comment

It's hanging aroung 60 in the house. Gas heat, it'll be a killer come January and Feb. We're not using anything unless we're freezing.

Comment

Working...
                                X