turning the corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning the corner

last night on the way home, I did something I have until now never been able to do. I figured out the chords of a song I've never played (well part of it) just by listening to the music.

I was able to visualize which chords they were, and how to play them, and when I got home to try it out, I was almost exactly on, with a couple small exceptions (what I thought was A was Am, etc).

this is huge progress for me, since my brain has never been able to do this very well before for some reason. I recently picked the guitar back up after like 13 yrs of not playing much at all with marriage, moves, kids, etc, but played with a buddy back in April of this year and had so much fun that I jumped back into it and now not only have I caught back up to where I was when I was 25 or so when I was still playing regularly, I have in this past 8 months surpassed my previous skill level and am playing better than ever. TABs being instantly available on the web has really catapulted my forward more than anything else, I've absorbed more in the last 8 months than I think I did in my first 5 years of playing (back in late 80's when you had to go buy TAB books and I could never afford to).

it's fun making leaps in progress like this! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

btw, the song was Chemical Wedding by Bruce Dickinson and it was the chorus part I figured out in my head.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: turning the corner

Its when you hear voices in your head that you should worry...........hahaha

Its cool when you can visualize something before you play it.Steve Vai talks about that all the time.

Comment

I've been able to do that forever. Problem is, the chords I visualize are either wrong or don't exhist at all. When I complained about that to my Guitar teacher, he just threw a Mel Bay chord book at me.

Seriously though, thats awesome man! That is a huge leap in my book.

chuck
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

chuck, I like your Alex Lifeson avatar! he used to kill with that 335.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Cool, glad you're getting back into it, dude!

Let's jam sometime! I'll be going through LA around Sunday Dec 11th.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
          X