Teach your children well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach your children well...

Teach them well... Chinese, I saw the other day that a school system somewhere in new england was teaching grade school kids mandarin chinese, they are just about fluent at 6th grade, the number of business's operating in China is staggering, with more going over there everyday, A sales or company rep that knows the language is priceless to these companies, if you want to drastically increase the odds of your kid landing a top knotch job in the future, this is a very good start, I was the only one in the construction company I worked for who could speak english and spanish, and I was able to use that as a bargaining chip when salary negotiations came up.
    I say the boy ain't right!

Re: Teach your children well...

Yep learning an additional language will improve opportunities. America, is becoming more so than ever, a bilinqual country. My daughter has taken Spanish since Jr. High and still taking it in her third year of college.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

My kids are learning Spanish in grade school. I can't help them much because the only Spanish I know will get them a trip to the office [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Your kids will need to know Spanish before they need to learn Chinese. Its getting to the point American won't be able to get by in their own country w/o having to speak Spanish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hell I want to learn it just so I can know if those fuggers are talking smack about me....lol. btw I'm in Texas which really shound be renamed Mexas!

As far as China goes....I agree...lot of business ops and ton of market to be had.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          btw I'm in Texas which really shound be renamed Mexas!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I studied Spanish for 8 years, I can't even tell you how valuable it is to know the language! I have used it all over the USA, but mostly in CA and Texas.
          Or "Upper Mexico" as we call it out here in the western desert. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          My brother speaks Chinese and Portuguese and it's been amazing to watch him grow in his career because of it.

I wholeheartedly agree that learning another language is a very wise plan, I think at least one other language should be introduced at the elementary level. Understanding a second language can actually help you have a better comprehension of your own native tongue.

I also believe that there should be a bigger push towards fluent English comprehension in the States (speaking and understanding the language) since English IS our national language. Just sayin'. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Forgot to mention...

I find it interesting that Spanish is not taught out here until secondary school. 99% of the people here have Spanish as their native language, and there is actually a push to NOT speak it on public campuses because there is such a problem with the kids understanding English. Maybe that is a good idea, I dunno.
          However, I have lived in other primarily Spanish-speaking towns and there are elementary Spanish programs.
          So... I don't get it. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          As for my kids, they get PLENTY of exposure to the language and have picked up quite a bit. So that's cool.

BTW... Keith speaks Afrikaans (he used to live in Johannesburg, RSA) and it's cool to hear him speak it. Weird language.

Okay, I'm done now. Bye. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm waiting for Ron to come along and put this in perspective....

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

The chinese biz ops are some of the most important right now. Ton of technical stuff going on there. Germany is big as well.

I don't care what the spanish say, unless I'm doing biz with them, haha... And that ain't so common unless it's service industry.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The chinese biz ops are some of the most important right now. Ton of technical stuff going on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and we're just handing it over to them, left and right. We should all learn Chinese, so we can communicate with our future rulers. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Anybody remember the old movie RED DAWN? How many screaming Chinese did they say after a few bombs dropped? On a more serious note, I have been considering learning the language.
                  Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    btw I'm in Texas which really shound be renamed Mexas!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I studied Spanish for 8 years, I can't even tell you how valuable it is to know the language! I have used it all over the USA, but mostly in CA and Texas.
                    Or "Upper Mexico" as we call it out here in the western desert. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    My brother speaks Chinese and Portuguese and it's been amazing to watch him grow in his career because of it.

I wholeheartedly agree that learning another language is a very wise plan, I think at least one other language should be introduced at the elementary level. Understanding a second language can actually help you have a better comprehension of your own native tongue.

I also believe that there should be a bigger push towards fluent English comprehension in the States (speaking and understanding the language) since English IS our national language. Just sayin'. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Forgot to mention...

I find it interesting that Spanish is not taught out here until secondary school. 99% of the people here have Spanish as their native language, and there is actually a push to NOT speak it on public campuses because there is such a problem with the kids understanding English. Maybe that is a good idea, I dunno.
                    However, I have lived in other primarily Spanish-speaking towns and there are elementary Spanish programs.
                    So... I don't get it. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    As for my kids, they get PLENTY of exposure to the language and have picked up quite a bit. So that's cool.

BTW... Keith speaks Afrikaans (he used to live in Johannesburg, RSA) and it's cool to hear him speak it. Weird language.

Okay, I'm done now. Bye. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up In El Paso or as it is better known now.

The exclusive gated community of "North Juarez". I moved away about 9 years ago to L.A., but I still go back several times a year, and I can say with 100% honesty, that anyone from Northern Chihuahua with any finances has moved there, to avoid alot of problems down there. You can actually be hard pressed to go to places in El Paso where they speak English. You will almost always be spoken to first in Spanish everywhere, I'm talking Sears, Best Buy, Walmart, not just little Downtown mom and pop places.
                    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      You will almost always be spoken to first in Spanish everywhere, I'm talking Sears, Best Buy, Walmart, not just little Downtown mom and pop places.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly how it is here.
                      Even the signs are billingual, AND the groceries!!
                      At the Mom and Pop places NOBODY speaks english. You have to know spanish to communicate there... but damn... the authentic Mexican food is SOOOOOOOOO good! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i'm cramming japanese right now in preparation for my upcoming move. unlike here you MUST know the language to get any employment at all with a native company.
                        little tidbit about the chinese, most of their schoolkids are learning english too. it's been proven many times, a childs formative years are best to teach them languages.
                        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

My daughter is 3 1/2 and they are already teaching her class Spanish in her preschool!
                          The town I grew up in was primarily Italian, Irish and Jewish.
                          This past year 44% of the kindergarden classes in this town were Asian. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            The chinese biz ops are some of the most important right now. Ton of technical stuff going on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and we're just handing it over to them, left and right. We should all learn Chinese, so we can communicate with our future rulers. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're taking whether we like it or not. I have friends in international trade and high end products, and they say the chinese take every American made/designed product, reverse engineer it and produce it cheaper than we can... And do an amazing job... sigh... Horrible.

And lawmakers/legislation certainly aren't helping us...

Basically, we're screwed.

Comment

The only spanish I know is the Menu at Del Taco
                              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                              X