X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teach your children well...

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You will almost always be spoken to first in Spanish everywhere, I'm talking Sears, Best Buy, Walmart, not just little Downtown mom and pop places.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly how it is here.
    Even the signs are billingual, AND the groceries!!
    At the Mom and Pop places NOBODY speaks english. You have to know spanish to communicate there... but damn... the authentic Mexican food is SOOOOOOOOO good! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. A very strange thing out here in L.A. for the huge amount of Mexicans out here, the Mexican food sucks out here. The places that are suppose to be famous for their Mexican food out here (El Cholo, El Coyote etc..) would be half assed places back home.

Now you have me craving little diner Gorditas, caldo con pollo. Dam I'd even take some cheap ass Chico's Tacos right now, or a good Whataburger. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

I have no problem with people from other countries coming here to live but I think you should HAVE to speak English in order to come and live here...sorry but that is one pet peeve of mine.

..and yeah, we have excellent Mexican food here it Mexas. Some of the best places are the mom and pop restaurants and hole in the wall places...I'm getting hungry now damnit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Speak Engrish or die!!!!!

Comment

I have no problem with people coming here to the U.S.. My Father was a Mexican citizen, and because I was born in Mazatlan, I am actually a naturalized U.S. citizen.(got my papers to prove it, lol).

What I don't get is this mentality of going to a new country then refusing to "mix" in. I understand everyone wants to keep a piece of themselves, hence the Little Italy, Korean Town, Little India etc.. That you see in many of the big cities.

We have employees who have been here 20+ years and still don't understand how to speak English, WTF is that. Some of their kids are 3rd generation Americans who can barely speak English, or sound like they just got here last week, and ten they wonder why they are still doing minimum wage work after being here decades.

I have traveled around alot here, Europe, Mexico. Everywhere I have gone the 1st thing I would do is learn a few phreases, how to say and ask for simple things. I nor do I think many of you would move to say Japan/Germany/China wherever and refuse to learn the language, it really just makes no sense to me. Could you imagine moving to Germnay and after living there for 5 years still not being able to go into a bank and do basic transactions.
          Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

In america I agree, english should be the only language used. if you you move here learn the damn language, like wise when we deal with people in another country it is our responsibility to speak their native language, many americans feel that they on the other hand should learn our language, I can speak a little french as well as spanish and it does come in handy from time to time, most europeans put us to shame when it come to language skills, I'm going to try to get a basic understanding of chinese, you never know..,
            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i'm cramming japanese right now in preparation for my upcoming move. unlike here you MUST know the language to get any employment at all with a native company.
              little tidbit about the chinese, most of their schoolkids are learning english too. it's been proven many times, a childs formative years are best to teach them languages.

[/ QUOTE ] My cousin learned a little Japanese a few years back. He took his "Blue-eyed" blond family to Japan and just minted money at his job. Not only that, but the kids modeled. His company paid for "everything". He had little or no out of pocket expences. We must admit that Japan is a little different than China, but you go where the money is. That is, if you can speak the lingo. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                if you want to drastically increase the odds of your kid landing a top knotch job in the future, this is a very good start, I was the only one in the construction company I worked for who could speak english and spanish, and I was able to use that as a bargaining chip when salary negotiations came up.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Sorry, but in America, we speak English. I notice lots of jobs nowadays only want to hire people that are bilingual (English/Spanish). Seems like discrimination to me if I can't get a job because I only speak English in this country since that is our language. The Spanish people and every other lazy bastard that comes over here from a foreign country should be forced to learn English or get the fuck out. If I move to another country, sure, I'll learn their language, but why the hell should I learn another language here?
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oh, you dreamer, you. That's not how it works. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

but why the hell should I learn another language here?

So you can go there and make a whole lotta money maybe?
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Don't be such a Zenophobe (Ha!). The masses are coming to us per the Statue of Liberty. Get used to it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I may be wrong here, but I always understood that there is no "official" language of the U.S.. It just happens that the majority speak English. Like I posted earlier the people who refuse to learn English puit them selves in a spot to be looked down upon, hence usually the lower paying jobs.

On the other end of that the people here who refuse to learn that "funny talk" are getting ready to put them selves into the same boat. Remember it's America, except for a small few. None of us are from here.

Like it or not, and this is probably harder for the Central/Northern States who are still probably the majority English speaking/ white folks, with very little foreign presence. The America you see outside today, isn't going to be the same one in 20 years. I was reading that in Texas for example very soon if not already Hispanics will be the Majority, as they probably will be very soon in the whole Southwest and Southern California.

So as the majority of people in Europe do, you better get used to at least being bilingual.

Comment

Seems to me from what I've experienced, Ebonics is the Official US language...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Seems to me from what I've experienced, Ebonics is the Official US language...

[/ QUOTE ] I have a pair of Ebonics but they are not as nice as my Converses, which I can do in 3 languages. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I may be wrong here, but I always understood that there is no "official" language of the U.S.. It just happens that the majority speak English. Like I posted earlier the people who refuse to learn English puit them selves in a spot to be looked down upon, hence usually the lower paying jobs.

On the other end of that the people here who refuse to learn that "funny talk" are getting ready to put them selves into the same boat. Remember it's America, except for a small few. None of us are from here.

Like it or not, and this is probably harder for the Central/Northern States who are still probably the majority English speaking/ white folks, with very little foreign presence. The America you see outside today, isn't going to be the same one in 20 years. I was reading that in Texas for example very soon if not already Hispanics will be the Majority, as they probably will be very soon in the whole Southwest and Southern California.

So as the majority of people in Europe do, you better get used to at least being bilingual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's great to be bilingual, but I have a problem with why I should learn spanish! I am studying Cebuano now and though it's hard, I really enjoy it. But why the hell should I have to learn spanish just to get by in my own fukkin country? Just because a bunch of illegal aliens come here and refuse to learn the language? Yes, English is the Official language of the U.S. I think it should be required to have a basic knowledge of english before you are allowed to live here... actually I think that is some kinda law... but the illegals don't bother to learn it so now we all are supposed to learn their language??? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

i know all the spanish i need to know.
                                "hey Amigo!!" means -i've got drugs, when you're driving by.
                                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                                X