Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice on starting up a guitar collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on starting up a guitar collection?

i want advice on going about starting up a small guitar collection. naturally on a small budget but so are most people when the start buying guitars and other such things. Now my mate who's only a year older than me (20) is already on his second custom guitar and i wanna know how'd u guys go about getting one started? - tips on buying, trading up etc??

Re: advice on starting up a guitar collection?

I have a tip. "Don't start!!!!. You'll never stop.!!!" Believe, Fett knows. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

hehe but there's so many i want!!! deans gibsons charvels mainly...and the odd fender possibly

Comment

Have in mind what you really want as the first one. Do your research. All these guys will help. Sit back and watch the action on E-Bay. And doin't buy anything until you have a good idea of what it really is. Check those guitar sites. Those owners, just like ours, are a wealth of knowledge. And don't get into a bidding war. Now, if I could only practice what I preach. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Listen to the Fettman [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

seriously, DON'T. you will thank me when you retire and you have money to live on instead of being a 75 year old greeter at walmart. i have a modest collection (19 total) of useable (not custom shop pieces) guitars. i wish i could muster the ability to sell most of them because now all i see are the wasted years of debt it took to aquire them. i don't even play most of them....or look at them...or even remember which ones i have....

but if you must collect, be picky and don't buy on impulse!!!
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

ok well i really like dean flying vs coz the flame/sunburst finises on deans are well nice and the necks are good, i have my 86 charvel model 4 , a les paul would be nice , a really nice strat would be good too , and a proper charvel US would be good - perhaps one of the reissues or an old strathead...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                seriously, DON'T. you will thank me when you retire and you have money to live on instead of being a 75 year old greeter at walmart. i have a modest collection (19 total) of useable (not custom shop pieces) guitars. i wish i could muster the ability to sell most of them because now all i see are the wasted years of debt it took to aquire them. i don't even play most of them....or look at them...or even remember which ones i have....

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man, if you don't have the control to manage your finances and put yourself in debt b/c of your guitars that's your problem.

Don't tell this guy not to start collecting guitars b/c you don't know how to manage your money properly.

Comment

that's a good way to think about it. i do a lot of session work so my collection is based on having 1 of each "type" of guitar. here's part of my collection:

and not pictured are my PRS CE24, Jackson PS-7, Yamaha RGX211 & RGX612S, 86 Kramer baretta, Ovation acoustic and my Kramer bass guitar.

i tried to include the "major" guitars that i may be required to use on a particular session.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man, if you don't have the control to manage your finances and put yourself in debt b/c of your guitars that's your problem.

Don't tell this guy not to start collecting guitars b/c you don't know how to manage your money properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the advice ball-licker. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      that's a good way to think about it. i do a lot of session work so my collection is based on having 1 of each "type" of guitar. here's part of my collection:

and not pictured are my PRS CE24, Jackson PS-7, Yamaha RGX211 & RGX612S, 86 Kramer baretta, Ovation acoustic and my Kramer bass guitar.

i tried to include the "major" guitars that i may be required to use on a particular session.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">can I have your pink Jackson reverse? Pretty please? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

PM me. i have been thinking of selling that one.
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

At first, limit yourself to 3 picks after getting clear on your choices.

Financially, it makes since only if you need the "right tools for the job" when you are doing session work, playing professionally, etc. And no, a bunch of arrested development type guys attempting to relive their youth 20 years ago at the local titty bar does not qualify! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

To me, guitars are like pieces of art,ie: a potenial expensive "hobby" since I don't earn coin from my musical involvements. Your mileage may vary, but 95% or better of JCF guys are involved with Charvel / Jackson as a hobby / distraction from everyday normal life.

Comment

They are objects duh art for sure. The neat thing about collecting guitars is that they live in your hands. But as "CrisRocks" says." If you can't manage your finances, Fuk it!!! And buy another one." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, but if you can't manage your money (like me) then don't buy any!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                              X