Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice on starting up a guitar collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: advice on starting up a guitar collection?

MOST IMPORTANT!!! If you're collecting as an investment:

1) Do NOT buy impulsively, buy SMART. Look around, find something that's in your price range and is desirable. Condition is important, because if you plan on trading up, nobody wants beat up garbage in trade on a prized cherry.

2) Do NOT buy anything you're not exactly sure what you're looking at. It's better to let a good deal go by than to jump on the one that 'looked like a great deal at the time'. It's easy to get burned when you get impatient and impulsive.

Everything else like picking your style of guitar, waiting for a deal, or needing to jump on that super rare BIN...

Remember, sometimes you will come across something overpriced... if it's driving you nuts, you might feel better buying it than taking a loss, but be careful. Do this enough times and you'll be out money. Collecting should be fun, but it should also cover most of it's own expenses, especially if you buy smart, wait for the best prices, and know when to sell.

It's easy to have an amazing collection and lose your ass on pieces every time you want to trade up. Buy smart, and maybe your collection will actually appreciate in value on it's own.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Different people have different ideas about what collecting means to them. Yeah, I have 8 electrics, and none of them are cheapies, but I feel awfully silly about calling them a 'collection'. I play them all...

These guys have pretty good advice. Research and buy smart. Personally I'd recommend against going into any kind of debt for a particular piece. Guitar values fluctuate, and I've noticed they sort of mirror the current market economy (at least here in the US). But even the most sought after pieces won't appreciate quicker than a very shrewd investment elswhere. Do it because you enjoy it!
      -Jon G

Comment

I think your best investment right now is if you are going to buy a guitar, buy a PINK one. You can always unload it to the Budman!

Some guitars are like stocks. You can pick a guitar cheap cause you just like it, then Bam! someone will have a hit that plays the same guitar and the value will sky rocket. i.e. Jack White of White Stripes played a old red National/Airline on the MTV awards and the price/demand went crazy.
        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          When I say I collect guitars, I mean I buy them and then refuse to sell them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh, then my advise is to buy every one you can afford, and even the ones that you will be paying for for a while, from Online Stage Gear [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

haven't read the whole thread, but if nobody has mentioned it yet-
            1-Don't get married.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

2-Don't overypay.^^^lol
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

3-make sure there's a charvel sticker on it when overpaying [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

4-acquire ferocious drug habit that could kill an elephant.

Comment

5-don't listen to me or tommy.
                    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

5-start spending like there's no tomorrow

Comment

6-There are no 2 rules for 5.

Comment

5 is now officially fused into don't listen to me or jimmy and start spending like there's no tomorrow.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Ohh, then my advise is to buy every one you can afford, and even the ones that you will be paying for for a while, from Online Stage Gear [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Nice try [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

James

Comment

7-Don't get married

If you're collecting guitars to collect guitars, sweet, have atter. If you're a guitar player, much more joy can be found in other little pieces of shit, like building a rack. So many racks out there to get ahold of. Not even your local topless bar has that many.

There's also the option of recording, and buying shit to make that sound better. That's where I'm at, and it's killing my budget and I'm not sounding a shitload better yet! $100 mic on its own still sounds like a radioshack mic. Gotta get the goddamn preamp now...

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Comment

Working...
                                X