Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else like me when it comes to buying stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else like me when it comes to buying stuff?

I dont know what it is about me, but it pertains to everything I do. Basically, I love used stuff.

Weather it be cars, guitars, my house for example, I love things that need work. At the moment Im talking about guitars... there was just a Red Rhoads Professional on eBay I was eyeing up... trying to get the seller to sell it to me a little cheaper than he had it listed for. It didnt sell the first time around, and he relisted it $30 cheaper and now its gone. Granted, I still wouldnt really have paid that much for it, but none the less, I was really sad to see it bought.

They way I think is... anyone can go out and buy something new. But to me, thats no fun. I like to take something that needs some work, maybe has been neglected, and make it better than it ever was, make it mine... I think thats what REALLY gives it "mojo" if you will. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Put some work into it and say "look, I did this". When I go to the guitar stores, I go to the used section first. Sure saving money is a good thing, but its not about that... and usually in the end, you could have bought a new one for what you have put into it, but as I said earlier, what fun is that? There was an SL2H on eBay that someone here was selling... had some good chips in it, but I loved it... more than the new one that was right beside it on eBay.

I know some people are the exact oposite... would rather have something brand new and not touch it. When I buy something, its usually for life, and I dont ever plan on getting rid of it... I guess its like adopting a stray pet... to give it a good home and treat it right for the rest of its life.

Or maybe Im just nuts and think into things way too much... either way... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: Anyone else like me when it comes to buying stuff?

I'm just the same - I think most people would call us "cheap bastards" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Anyone else like me when it comes to buying st

I can understand you in the first part. My chance of getting something nice was like this: an employee in our guitar center was tight on budget, so he decided to sell his Fender Twin Reverb 1974. Really beautiful piece, mint condition, only the tubes were ready for change. And the price was $500. Back then I didn't know this amplifier much, so I have said that it's just another cheap amp ...

But then he somehow managed to get some money without selling the amp. And he still owns it, but doesn't want to sell it.

It was really stupid of me, not buying that amp. But what can I do?

Comment

I always check the used sections of stores first. Sometimes you really find some nice stuff for cheap. My 2 favorite pistols were bought lightly used for about 1/2 the cost of new.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Used or new, either way I'm good.
          Used? "Like new" used thing.
          Used that requires alot of working done to it and etc.
          Nah, I don't have that kind of free time.
          My extra free time is very limited.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            anyone can go out and buy something new. But to me, thats no fun. I like to take something that needs some work, maybe has been neglected, and make it better than it ever was, make it mine... I think thats what REALLY gives it "mojo" if you will.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, new guitars can get mojo too.. I have a strat, bought it new, and it got a lot of mojo because I played it and gigged it for many years.. the guitar means a lot to me and all the batlle scars (very few) are created by me. I created all the mojo trough playing it..

I hope I'm making sense haha

[ QUOTE ]
            When I buy something, its usually for life, and I dont ever plan on getting rid of it...

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on that
            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I had to break the habit of buying fixer-uppers, because none of them ever get finished. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Not me, man. I buy everything brand new and at the highest price. Oh yea. That's not me. Beep, Beep, Beep is dead. It's Cheap, Cheap, Cheap. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I rarely buy project guitars anymore, but I love looking for 'diamonds in the rough'.

My ESP "The Mirage" Custom, is a good example--I got it for $450, which is no more than people are paying for Model 6's these days, except that my ESP has an ebony board, original Floyd, and a more resonant and singing sound than I've heard from any Charvel Model guitar.

The reason I got it so cheap was that it has tons of paint chips, and it had missing knobs and switches. I don't really give a shit what a guitar looks like in terms of finish, so that was a nonfactor, and it only took a couple of cheap knobs and a new input jack to turn it into my primary guitar.

Hell, people pay way more for a piece of shit LTD M-1000 that specs out much like my Mirage, except for the crappy tonewoods and horrible playability on the LTD.

On the other hand, I've gotten 'diamonds in the rough' that turned out to be more rough than diamond. But you can't win 'em all...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    My ESP "The Mirage" Custom, is a good example--I got it for $450, which is no more than people are paying for Model 6's these days, except that my ESP has an ebony board, original Floyd, and a more resonant and singing sound than I've heard from any Charvel Model guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post a pic? Is that a bolt on or neck thru, and what pickups are in it? My project ESP is (I think) an M-1 Custom neck thru from 1990. Ebony, crosses for inlays. I bought it bare-wood no hardware. I currently have it strung up with an OFR just to mess with and I couldn't agree with you more-unplugged it's as good as my historic LP's or better. 15 years of the maple / alder to dry out. I'm tempted to get a killer graphic on it, but I have cans to do a black nitro-laquer finish.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I When I go to the guitar stores, I go to the used section first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I got my pretty much brand new looking '03 DXMG out of GC used section for a really good price! It just sits in the corner waiting to give up its neck for another project.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

one mans junk is anothers treasure
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Can you post a pic? Is that a bolt on or neck thru, and what pickups are in it? My project ESP is (I think) an M-1 Custom neck thru from 1990. Ebony, crosses for inlays. I bought it bare-wood no hardware. I currently have it strung up with an OFR just to mess with and I couldn't agree with you more-unplugged it's as good as my historic LP's or better. 15 years of the maple / alder to dry out. I'm tempted to get a killer graphic on it, but I have cans to do a black nitro-laquer finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Offhand, I don't have any photos to post, but I suspect mine is much the same as yours. Mine is neckthru, all-maple I believe, with the traditional ESP "blocks to the side" inlays, and H/S/S pickups. The neck/middle are the original dual-rail ESP single-coils, while the bridge pickup was changed by a previous owner to a Gibson 500T, which rocks in this guitar. The bridge itself was, I'm pretty sure, changed from the licensed Floyd that ESP used back then to an OFR. There was some additional (poorly done) routing below the trem to accommodate the larger footprint of the OFR. Also, mine has the Jackson-imitation headstock, which ESP stopped using around 1990, I believe.

The M-1 was really just a single-pickup variant of the neckthru Mirage, whereas The Mirage Custom was kind of ESP's 'standard' version of the neckthru Mirages that may have come before the M-1, but I'm not sure about that now. What makes things confusing is that there were also bolt-on Mirages, which are often referred to as "Mirage Customs" if they were custom-ordered, even though they are not the same as "The Mirage Custom" model, which was always neckthru H/S/S.

I've seen pics of your guitar, and that's pretty freakin' awesome. I love the inlays.

Comment

Working...
                          X