December 7th 1941...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: December 7th 1941...

Every year I go to Hawaii for military exercises, and every year I make it a priority to go to the Arizona. When I get onboard, I put myself back in time and try to relive what people at that time saw. It pretty eerie to look up in the skies over Pearl Harbor and envision Zeros flying overhead.

Specifically onboard the Arizona, there were many killed and there's large plaque with all the sailors names on it........very humbling.

People do tend to forget history. WWII era is a long time ago and its hard to blame this generations forgetfulness. Education in the subject is probably not like it use to be. As time goes on it will diminish even less. As long as I remember, I will pay my respects.

The Arizona is a land mark for that attack, but there were many other places in and around Pearl Harbor that were decimated.

I'm glad there are people here that remembered it.
    God Bless those people in the past.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Great thread!!! I'm glad all of you have taken the time to remember our heroes.

I can listen to my granfather-in-law's stories for hours. He was involved in the Normandy invasion (He said Private Ryan was very much like the real thing) and then trekked across eastern Europe. He has said how unbearable the conditions were in the winter and how poorly equipped they were (they actually stole boots and clothing from enemy soldiers). He still has a scar across the side of his head where he was straifed by a bullet. I can't imagine how tough these guys were to endure everyhing that they went through.

Comment

Great post! Those were great men who made sacrifices to ensure the freedom we know today.

Take a moment for not only the US soldiers who fought, but also take a moment to remember those from other nations that fought with us side by side... The Brits, Austrailians, Free French, Canada, etc...

Though your average teen to twenty something may have the "entitlement" attitude, rest assured that our troops serving today would get the job done if called upon as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Every year I go to Hawaii for military exercises, and every year I make it a priority to go to the Arizona. When I get onboard, I put myself back in time and try to relive what people at that time saw. It pretty eerie to look up in the skies over Pearl Harbor and envision Zeros flying overhead.

Specifically onboard the Arizona, there were many killed and there's large plaque with all the sailors names on it........very humbling.

People do tend to forget history. WWII era is a long time ago and its hard to blame this generations forgetfulness. Education in the subject is probably not like it use to be. As time goes on it will diminish even less. As long as I remember, I will pay my respects.

The Arizona is a land mark for that attack, but there were many other places in and around Pearl Harbor that were decimated.

I'm glad there are people here that remembered it.
          God Bless those people in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Aiea, Hawaii for three years and visited the Arizona Memorial on many occasions. As Don said, it is very humbling to stand over the ship and see the names of those who perished. There is a "fly by" performed by the military every year to commemorate the attack and it, too, is very humbling.

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to travel to Normandy with my grandfather for the 60th anniversary of D-Day at Juno Beach. It was an amazing scene with all of those old heroes looking at the memorial and out to the shores where so many died, as Lancasters & Spitfires flew overhead. I was a proud and humbled man on that day. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

That day trully changed history. It brought the US into the fight to really save the world. The Axis was firing on all 8 cylinders. Just like in WW1, the US came in "in the nick of time". We, the US, didn't "win" the wars, but we sure did help out a lot. Bless the ones that were fighting the wars for years before we got involved. And, I hope this is still true, we fight wars to stop warmongers not for gain. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              My uncle is a West Pointer and commanded an artillery batallion. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He is 86 and probably in better shape than I am. They don't make people like that anymore..we just aren't cut from the same cloth.

The greatest generation, indeed.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ] you totally nailed it bro [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

My late Grandfather on my Mother's side was a prisoner of war in Japan in WWII. He was very young at the time. He had his 21st birthday out there. He never spoke about it. Some of the men caught and killed a monkey, and cooked it on a fire and ate it but my Grandad couldnt bring himself eat it as it looked too much like a baby.
                The war ended, but the Japanese refused to release the POWs. Anyway, my knowledge isnt the greatest on this subject.
                There were people selling poppies in the town the other day (about a month back) for Remembrance Sunday, and I wanted to buy one but I'd left my wallet at home and I had no change and there was this old man, he looked at me to like beckon me over, and I kinda looked away then looked back, and he just smiled at me. I felt like shit. These men are hero's. I felt so bad for not being able to give a donation. I went straight back to my flat and got my wallet and came back into town. These men are hero's and should be treated as such, instead, they're left to rot in care homes. Its said to see that generation dying out, seemingly being ignored.
                Im rambling now Im tired.

James

Comment

my father was a Lieutenant, he died in may of 2000, he was 86 years old and i was really psyched that he got to make it to watch the turn of the century. my mom still has his sword from that war, it is beautiful, and i'll never forget the people that gave their lives for this country be it the revolutionary war all the way up to this minute, i thank and am in awe of anyone who serves to protect this country.
                  you're all made of guts and steel. thankyou. until 9-11 this was our countries worst day probably, as we got hit on our own soil in both occaisions. i am so glad i am an American. this is the place everyone.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

The Greatest Generation, My dad was a WWII vet. God bless you dad, 1913-2003

Comment

god bless you too dad-1914-2000.
                      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Ahmen. Some things should never be forgotten.
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X