Home Audio: help me out here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Audio: help me out here!

Okay, it looks like I'll be buying a house pretty soon. I want to be able to pipe audio to several different rooms at once, probably about eight speakers. I want a central location where I can play FM radio, CD's, tapes, or run my POD across it. A simple shelf system stereo handles this part of it, but what about sound distribution to the rooms?

I'm looking at two possible remedies:

1. If the stereo has two speaker outs and they run at, let's say hypothetically, 8 ohms, I can wire four 8-ohm speakers in series/parallel per side.

NOTE: This isn't my preferred method.

2. Add an audio distribution amplifier that handles eight speakers.

I *might* have an individual volume control on the speakers I get.

I'm looking to go somewhat cheap here, so please don't suggest any $1000.00+ solutions. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Also, recommend some flat wall-mount speakers that have good bass.

Thanks!
    [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Home Audio: help me out here!

You could either run a distribution amp or you can do what most people do.. use speakers with transformers on them. This way you can chain a bunch of them together. Check out the Leviton Home Cabling system. They are hooked up with either Bose or JBL so you know the speakers are good. I am a distributor for them if you have any questions.

Comment

Re: Home Audio: help me out here!

[ QUOTE ]
      You could either run a distribution amp or you can do what most people do.. use speakers with transformers on them. This way you can chain a bunch of them together. Check out the Leviton Home Cabling system. They are hooked up with either Bose or JBL so you know the speakers are good. I am a distributor for them if you have any questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'll check that out. I also thought about this, even though it might be a bit crazy: Get a Carvin 200-watt PA with a 4-channel powered mixer. It could be the workhorse and I could plug the stereo into one input and the POD into another. Use a distribution amp and put the PA speakers in the living room with smaller speakers in the other rooms. Leave the volume off of whichever one I'm not playing at the time.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
      X