• Show
Clear All

Re: Stopping smoking.

Oh god, I have to quit soon.....

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      i tried, i can't, i never will stop smoking. i don't want to . i lost it on like 40 people or so the last time out. you turn into a raving lunatic

[/ QUOTE ]

I like smoking too and enjoy lighting up, but I gotta quit. I'm up at the 46 range now and it's time.

I can see turning into a raving lunatic. I feel like that at this exact moment, very frantic. Maybe a xanny bar at times like this? [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Smoking cigarettes will kill you and I would rather you live.

[/ QUOTE ]

So my wife says.....and my doctor. I had my lungs checked, 98% oxygen level, clear. Pulminary function test show excellent. A bunch of tests and they all came out good. Might as well quit while I'm a head.

Comment

i'm too scared to go to the doctor. my lungs in a picture would look like a factory on the jersey turnpike.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I quit about six months ago. The first month was absolute hell, but I made it out the other side. It helps if you have someone quiting with you, or you can isolate yourself from other smokers (I got lucky, my smoking buddy at work decided to quit at the same time). The craving to smoke entire pack after having two beers is finally starting to go away, too. Since I avoided alcohol for a while after quiting, I get drunk quick now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Look into auricular therapy. It can be done with accupuncture needles or electric stim needles around the ear. The desire to smoke completely goes away. Its got about an 80% success rate, which isn't too bad. A lot of people think that it's a scam, but even if it is, it's hard to argue with a success rate like that

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot different methods. I knew that cold turkey is the best for me. That's a pretty good percentage though.

Comment

Hey man, go with what works for you. I applaud you.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I quit about six months ago. The first month was absolute hell, but I made it out the other side. It helps if you have someone quiting with you, or you can isolate yourself from other smokers (I got lucky, my smoking buddy at work decided to quit at the same time). The craving to smoke entire pack after having two beers is finally starting to go away, too. Since I avoided alcohol for a while after quiting, I get drunk quick now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on the 6 months.....that seem like an eternity for me right about now. Both my sons smoke and they both just recently left my house, though we never smoked in the house. One kid went into the Army and one in school in upstate NY. So, now that the house is smoke free, I chose this time to stop. (No temptation). I'll be staying away from the bar scene for a while too. Though its not alcohol that bothers me, its coffee.

Comment

I quit 8 years ago. I went and got hypnotized, (I never
                    believed in any of that crap) but I went to see him first
                    and he gave me the best advice anyone has ever given me
                    about quitting any vice.

He told me you can't come in here and get hypnotized on a
                    Monday and then wake up on Tuesday and do the exact same
                    routine you always do. YOU WILL FAIL!
                    You need to dramatically change things up.
                    So this is what I did (with my now wife who quit with me)
                    I took 2 weeks off from work.
                    I Went in on Saturday morning got hypnotized (I don't know to this day if this really works or not but the power of suggestion is very strong).

Came Home went to the gym and ran for 1/2 and hour. Well it was more like run/walk, run/walk for 1/2 an hour. Felt like shit. Stayed busy all day doing things I normally dont' do (had to break routine). COMPLETELY AVOIDED ANY PEOPLE THAT I ASSOCIATED WITH THAT SMOKE FOR THE ENTIRE 2 WEEKS.- VERY IMPORTANT!
                    Got up every morning for the next 2 weeks and ran for as long as I could. By day 5 I was feeling so good that the thought of lighting up a butt was grossing me out.
                    No withdrawal symptoms at all. by the end of the second week I felt like I had never smoked a butt in my life, and I was almost a pack a day smoker.
                    When I finally really decided to quit, this was actually pretty easy.
                    I've now been smoke free for 8 years and I will NEVER light up a smoke again.
                    Good luck I sincerely hope you succeed! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Don...congrats on stopping. I just did as well too. I will be on 2 weeks as of this coming Friday.
                      I quit because I got really sick with an upper respiratory virus, It was making swallowing feel like I was eating razor blades (you probably know that feeling)... but also the guilt trip my Doc laid on me about quitting.
                      I've been pretty lucky about being figity, and having minimal cravings so far. My hardest ones are with coffee in the AM, and after meals. Other than that, I came out of that nasty bug I had, and feel much better as far as breathing goes. The first thing you'll get back is your sense of taste, then smell...then energy.

Good luck with the will power. You have a total support group here (minus Newc....LOL!) [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        Have your wife relieve the twitching and stress. Give HER something to smoke.

I can't quit because I eat too much when I do. It is sad, but I would rather leave a pretty corpse, than be fat. I will never be heavy again, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, she gets on my case about smoking daily. She's an ex-smoker, but not a preachy ex-smoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didn't mean a cig..I mean your pole!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Best of luck man, it really is a vile addiction and I wish I never lit one up in my life, truly. With that said, I could easily smoke continuously and I would smoke in my sleep if I could find a way.

When I am alone, I will actually smoke and eat at the same time. I don't do that in front of people because it is pretty gross and it freaks people out.

Problem is, I drink pretty regularly and I find it very hard to drink and not smoke. If I chew the gum and drink, I will actually get butt wasted from the huge nicotine hit from the gum. It is very hard to regulate with the gum, and I chew it like a horse.

When I quit, I removed myself from all smoking environments and situations. Bars, the smoker's hangouts, etc.

It can be done if you are dedicated.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Good for you Don, and good luck--hang in there!!!! Man, I can't imagine how tough it must be to quit smoking, since I was lucky enough to not take it up when I was young and stupid. Heck, I can't even manage to ditch the caffeine, so I'm sure I'd be hopeless if I had to stop smoking.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Stayed busy all day doing things I normally dont' do (had to break routine).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the same thing I'm doing. Shaking it up a bit. Different diet, exercise and keeping busy, though I'm still scatter-brained at this time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I quit 3 years ago. I was sick. Had pneumonia (that ended up having to be surgically removed!!) It scared me out of smoking. I quit cold turkey and never wanted another one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Don...congrats on stopping. I just did as well too. I will be on 2 weeks as of this coming Friday.
                                I quit because I got really sick with an upper respiratory virus, It was making swallowing feel like I was eating razor blades (you probably know that feeling)... but also the guilt trip my Doc laid on me about quitting.
                                I've been pretty lucky about being figity, and having minimal cravings so far. My hardest ones are with coffee in the AM, and after meals. Other than that, I came out of that nasty bug I had, and feel much better as far as breathing goes. The first thing you'll get back is your sense of taste, then smell...then energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a hard time breathing, waking up at night rang a bell. Though the docs said everything is clear, it was an eye-opening kind of feeling.

2 weeks... good job! That also seems like an eternity to me right now, but you know, though I have the withdrawal symptoms hounding me, this is the time I want to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
                                Good luck with the will power. You have a total support group here (minus Newc....LOL!)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X