Stopping smoking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stopping smoking.

Good for you Don. Every day you go w/o smoking gets you closer to quiting for good. Every day get easier and easier. The thing that worked for me was when I first quit was to stay away from people who smoked, stay out of bars or places where people are smoking. Hang in there, be tough and you can do it!

I quit cold turkey several time and fianlly for good when I had the proper motivation, which was my first son. I was like rjohnstone in that I wanted to live as long as I could and be around as long as I can for my kids. I fell off the wagon for a month or so when my second son was born. My oldest son will be 12 in June so its been a long time for me. I do miss it but I don't crave it. I even smoked a few during times of drunkeness and never started up for good again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Look into auricular therapy. It can be done with accupuncture needles or electric stim needles around the ear. The desire to smoke completely goes away. Its got about an 80% success rate, which isn't too bad. A lot of people think that it's a scam, but even if it is, it's hard to argue with a success rate like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that a few months ago before I left for the Philippines. I really wanted to quit and my wife doesn't smoke. It didn't work. I went back 3 times and still nothing. I was a total prick... constantly snapping at people.. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I've tried EVERYTHING, even hypnosis (not the $1000 hypnosis program)...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I quit cold turkey several time and fianlly for good when I had the proper motivation

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Shawn. Now that the kids are out of the house, the motivation is for my wife and I to have a great time. We did our job as parents (though it'll never end), so, to have the freedom to travel, take off with her when we want, is a good feeling. I don't want to short-change us and have her travel with me carrying an oxygen tank....that would suck.
        Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          That's a hoot. It's funny how we take our colloquialisms for granted, such as "cold turkey."

[/ QUOTE ]

it reads really weird I can tell ya.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

thx for explaining mike!
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I was a total prick... constantly snapping at people

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the hardest part for me. My wife is a sweetheart and would do anything for me, so, for me to snap at her would make me feel like sh*t.

Screw the people at work...........I snap at them anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

What I did was let people know I was quitting and if I'm short tempered, direct or an outright pain in the ass please don't take it personal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                That's a hoot. It's funny how we take our colloquialisms for granted, such as "cold turkey."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
                it reads really weird I can tell ya....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, when some people quit Cold Turkey, it leads to people Needing a Fix, as with chocolate. The Big Cheese is the one who can handle the Hot Potato and Kick the Habit before he becomes Dead as a Doornail. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

+1 on kmanick's recommendation.

get into an exercise program. the thought of having a cigarette when your body is feeling good and healthy becomes nauseating.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    +1 on kmanick's recommendation.

get into an exercise program. the thought of having a cigarette when your body is feeling good and healthy becomes nauseating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I walk/run 3 miles every night on the treadmill. Then I walk outside and fire up a Parliament.

Danny Bonaduce has an ashtray welded to his treadmill!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

You guys who are trying to quit need to read a book called "EZ Way To Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. It's only about $8.00 or so in the bookstores.

I haven't quit, but his method makes more sense than anything I've ever heard. He also claims about a 95% permanent success rate at his live clinics. It also explains why the patch and the gum are failures for so many people, including myself.
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I quit in 2000.It was hardest when drinking for me so i had a beer in each hand.I dont ever get cravings anymore but it was a b*tch at first.Now i jog,skate and do things i never really could while smoking.If i could just quit drinking...
                        "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

day 36 today for me...feel MUCH better and saved at least $360.00 so far!

Comment

I'm a recovering non-smoker - been non-smoke-free for 20 years [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              day 36 today for me...feel MUCH better and saved at least $360.00 so far!

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent.. I'll get there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never been a smoker but I applaude you effort to quit. I know several people that have and it seems cold turkey is the way to do it. Good Luck man, be strong!

Comment

Working...
                                X