Stopping smoking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping smoking.

Today is day three for me and nicotine withdrawal is a bitch. I can't seem to concentrate and the bags under my eyes seem to be dragging on the ground. I feel very jumpy too, like I can snap at someone.

I know these are all symptoms, but man is it hard. I couldn't even pick up the guitar last night I was so spacey.
    Ex-smoker advice? They say these symptoms can last up to a month. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] I don't like feeling like this, but I need to quit.

Thought I'd bring it up on the board and since I'm at work, I'm trying to keep smoking off my mind.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Stopping smoking.

I quit for 5 years, then started again when I went through my divorce. I found that chewing Nicorette really helped, I could not do it cold turkey.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I quit for 5 years, then started again when I went through my divorce. I found that chewing Nicorette really helped, I could not do it cold turkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried other methods but they didn't work for me. I did stop about 7 years ago, for 3 years and I did that also cold turkey. It's hard when you been at it almost 30 years. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Rehab is for quitters [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, God Bless you if that's what you really want to do [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The first thing most people tend to do is find a replacement - namely, food. Specifically, candy.
        Or they develop a nervous twitch like chewing on a pencil or tapping on something.

Avoid other people as much as possible (especially those with annoying voices or who generally lead you to say "I need a smoke" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Also try to avoid stressful situations like discussions about the news, etc.

And just to be mean:

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The first thing most people tend to do is find a replacement - namely, food. Specifically, candy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, don't want a substitution. I was especially aware of that when I planned to stop smoking. I'll be looking out for the twitches, though. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I don't wanta be pain in the ass to the wife, cause she's a sweetheart, but I get this almost frantic/jumpy feeling.

Comment

Just take deep breaths and remind yourself (and everyone else) "it's the cravings talking" [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Have your wife relieve the twitching and stress. Give HER something to smoke. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I can't quit because I eat too much when I do. It is sad, but I would rather leave a pretty corpse, than be fat. I will never be heavy again, ever.

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The first thing most people tend to do is find a replacement - namely, food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I quite smoking about 7 1/2 years ago. That's how I got fat as a pig. I was pretty spindly when I smoked. So what's worse, being a fat pig or a smoker?

I'd love to fire one up right now too - my job is really pissing me off and I know *exactly* how good that cig would make me feel. Maybe I should call Tommy instead [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Blowdarts - ultimate stress relief [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Have your wife relieve the twitching and stress. Give HER something to smoke.

I can't quit because I eat too much when I do. It is sad, but I would rather leave a pretty corpse, than be fat. I will never be heavy again, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, she gets on my case about smoking daily. She's an ex-smoker, but not a preachy ex-smoker.

Weights a big thing. I not fat, but 20lbs over what I should be. Thats another thing I took into account when I started this......a diet change. So far so good.

Cottage cheese and oatmeal sandwiches [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Yuk, just kidding. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

good luck don, that would be an awesome christmas present to give yourself. i tried, i can't, i never will stop smoking. i don't want to . i lost it on like 40 people or so the last time out. you turn into a raving lunatic, get some gum. my buddy stopped by chewing nicotine gum, he's still chewing it 6 years later, but it's better than smoking.
                      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Today is day three for me and nicotine withdrawal is a bitch. I can't seem to concentrate and the bags under my eyes seem to be dragging on the ground. I feel very jumpy too, like I can snap at someone.

I know these are all symptoms, but man is it hard. I couldn't even pick up the guitar last night I was so spacey.
                        Ex-smoker advice? They say these symptoms can last up to a month. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] I don't like feeling like this, but I need to quit.

Thought I'd bring it up on the board and since I'm at work, I'm trying to keep smoking off my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never smoked. I am a gym rat and luckily never got caught up in smoking. With that said... I am totally impressed with anybody who has the will power to quit smoking. You obviously want to live and increase the quality of your life. Congratz and keep it up. Smoking cigarettes will kill you and I would rather you live. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd rather leave a corpse that's enjoyed life as much as possible and has a few scratches and dents rather than a pretty one. Who am I gonna look good for when I'm dead - the freako in the morgue? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Look into auricular therapy. It can be done with accupuncture needles or electric stim needles around the ear. The desire to smoke completely goes away. Its got about an 80% success rate, which isn't too bad. A lot of people think that it's a scam, but even if it is, it's hard to argue with a success rate like that.

Comment

i'll be done in like 3 years anyway, might ahs well smoke.
                              "i'm sorry officer, i didn't see him, i was too busy smoking!!!" (D. Leary)
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                              X