Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar for 12 year old?

Hey need to pickup a guitar for my girlfriends boy

He is taking lessons on an acoustic which works but he is kinda short for his age. Anyway wanting to pick him up an electric for chistmas for playing at home cause I want him to keep taking lessons on the acoustic to develop finger strength and the ability to make clean chords ect.

I was thinking 3/4 size since he is kind of small and my guitars seem a little large for him. I was thinking a transition guitar until he gets bigger or develops better skills.

Any suggestions?

Oh yea and thanks to Tim and everyone that posted up about the guitar hangars-got 5 off the wall in my living room and they rock. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Guitar for 12 year old?

I have been eying one of the mini squires for my daughter. A few members have picked them up and have given good reviews. I saw them at GC for 99.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I have been eying one of the mini squires for my daughter. A few members have picked them up and have given good reviews. I saw them at GC for 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. yes, it's $99. 3/4 size. and played surprisingly well.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

How much too large for him is a standard guitar? There are trade-offs to everything, and if he has the discipline to struggle on the longer scale now, then he'll turn into a stretch fingering monster when he gets older.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          How much too large for him is a standard guitar? There are trade-offs to everything, and if he has the discipline to struggle on the longer scale now, then he'll turn into a stretch fingering monster when he gets older.

[/ QUOTE ] Why do you think they have student violins? However, at the age of 12, his hands should be about adult size. To me,the weight of the guitar should be the issue. I just bought a full-size Yamaha Pacifica and the neck is very narrow/ and it is average weight. That could be the ticket. Not only that, he is way too "OLD" to have a kid's guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

they grow fast so I'd stick to a full sized guitar with a slim neck.
            last year I bought a couple of those Ibanez starter packs from Matts Music for my boys. The make noise occasionally but still aren't showing a lot of interest it it. I don't want to make them play either....I figure when they are ready they'll ask me to give them lessons.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Not only that, if you buy a full-size with a narrow neck and the kid decides he wants to play the oboe , you can always dump it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Since he's 12 he might get embarassed if you get him a "kids" guitar. Is a dinky too big? Maybe one of those B.C. Rich starter packs... at least they look cool for a 12yr old, which might hold his interest a little more.

Comment

I agree, go for a full-sized guitar but maybe something with a 24 3/4" scale so it'll have a little softer feel. One of my nephews wanted to learn when he was about 7 1/2 so I let him pick out a guitar from my collection but he was frustrated because his hands were too small at that age. A younger nephew is playing that guitar now and he isn't a big kid & turned 10 a few months back. I'd think most 12 year olds would be able to handle a regular guitar just fine.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

if you want a normal production line guitar for whatever reason (e.g., potential resale), consider the fender mustangs and jagstangs. They only have a 24" scale length. If you find a modded one with a TOM bridge (a common mod) they play really well.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Another vote here for a full-size, light, short-scale guitar. Like the others have said, kids are all about being cool & feeling grown up. He's liable to grow 6 or 8 inches at any time, too. One of my best friends went from shortest to tallest in the class between 12 & 13.

Comment

parker fly's are light and easy to play [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I bought my son Damian (10) a Warrior for his birthday. He handles it decent. He's 5'1" and 100 lbs. If your girlfriend son is good sized, I say get him something that will inspire him to play. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Adrian
                          All hail the 'King'
                          R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Get him one of those little Dean EVO (LP-style) guitars that are like $99 at MF and AMS. 24-3/4" scale, 2 humbuckers, light LP Jr. body weight. He could play on that for a couple years until you see if he's got the knack.
                            I think that'd be better than the Epi LP Special II because those are plywood, the Deans are solid hardwood.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I got a squier for my 11th birthday. I wasnt a large kid by any means, but playing guitar means playing guitar! Whilst he mightnt notice scale length and stuff, I cant see anything other then a reasonably full size guitar being appropriate. Kids are gonna grow and start jamming with others. You dont wanna have the smallest axe in the band [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X