Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar for 12 year old?

[ QUOTE ]
    at the age of 12, his hands should be about adult size.

[/ QUOTE ]
    well that was not my experience.

I took up guitar at about 11, with a sunburst Kay acoustic from the corner music store, and learned most of the popular chords and took lessons for about a year, but could not really get it because my hands had a lot of growing left to do. I wanted to get it, believe me.

I kind of kept picking on it here and there and later when I picked up my friend's electric in college, then it clicked, I knew the chords, my hands were now bigger and I took off and could really learn. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Thanks guys-Yea full size is probably the way to go-Don't know how big he will get cause his dads a smaller dude(not me). Anyway the kind is strong he is a pretty good athlete.His team just got second in state for soccer and he is a baseball all-star ect. He really has a desire to play that I never had at that age. I quit about then until late teens.

He is pretty gung ho, I got to give the kid credit he picks things up fast. Ya who wants a shrimp guitar at 12 now that I think about it-Let him work at it and have something cool to show his buddies and inspire him.

As always thanks everyone for the good advice-this place is awesome- [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd say if he was 9, go for the Squier mini.

at 12, yeah, it has to be regulation size...
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Ok I need help 250ish - I looked at those baby deans but with the smaller body comes a neck heavy guitar.

This kid has the fever he was researching them the other day found an Ibanez and a BC rich hhaa.

Anyway looking for something decent I can hot rod for him if he keeps at it. I would like something made of wood and stays in tune and not to cheese. Need to order soon-yesterday-too late for the bay too unreliable- Some of them schecters are decent a buddy sells them here but he is getting iout of it to just run his recording side.

Anyway help please so I can keep mama at bay -you guys know hoew they are at christmas and we just got back for dallas on tues so we are way behind on shopping.

Links appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Why not try to pick up a used Model Series Charvel here? I'd imagine someone would have one in that range and you won't find a better guitar for the money.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Did you see the Dean EVO XM? I had to do a specific search at MF, it didn't come up in the under $200 search. But it's in stock, mahogany body, and I think eligible for free shipping. I can't see how that would be neck-heavy with a fullsize LP Jr. body. The baby Vs and MLs, sure. You can get a decent amp and gigbag for the other $150 and should still be in time for Christmas - if you order now. Just sayin', you need to decide pretty much today. Earlier the better too.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Why not try to pick up a used Model Series Charvel here? I'd imagine someone would have one in that range and you won't find a better guitar for the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but its christ mas and I already gave my boy my fusion flus that he never plays [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Did you see the Dean EVO XM? I had to do a specific search at MF, it didn't come up in the under $200 search. But it's in stock, mahogany body, and I think eligible for free shipping. I can't see how that would be neck-heavy with a fullsize LP Jr. body. The baby Vs and MLs, sure. You can get a decent amp and gigbag for the other $150 and should still be in time for Christmas - if you order now. Just sayin', you need to decide pretty much today. Earlier the better too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep That shits hot I spent 3 hours last night on looking at stuff-looks like decent stuff-I think its going to be one of those deans

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 I just received one of these. The neck is about as flat as it can be.The body is very slim and light. And it's Japanese Jackson. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                    X