Guilty Guitar Pleasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guilty Guitar Pleasures

Obviously, most of us here tend to favor the heavier side of music. I myself have several Jacksons,a Mesa Dual Rec and a Bogner Uberschall. But sometimes I like to tone it down and play less heavy stuff. For example, I like learning music by The Outfield, Don McClean and similar. Alright, time to fess up. What are some of your guilty guitar pleasures? This is a safe place. Nobody will judge you. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Re: Guilty Guitar Pleasures

lol...i play all sorts of different stuff and compose classical pieces (violins, cellos, the works)on the side too...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Heavy Metal here, thru and thru.

Sometimes I'll be watching a video on VH1 Classics ("Good by to you", The Cars, Pat Bennetar(sp?), Rush, etc) and try playing to it, but nothing I'd play on a regular basis.

I hang out on the LP forum a lot, having 3 LP's and 2 SG's. I try getting into "their" stuff i.e. Page, Clapton, Peter Green, Alman Bros, etc. I just can't get into it.

Sorry, but I'll take some Iron Maiden any day. Heavy Metal flows through my veins and any other type of music is toxic to me.

Comment

I think most TRUE musicians have an appreciation for all types of music. Remember that some of the most awesome metal licks were classical influenced. I listen to everything (except opera [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]) My music collection includes everything hard to light (and everything in between) and I love picking up my nylon string guitar and playing classical stuff sometimes. It's all good. I still want to learn the banjo though! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I agree totally w/ Mark. I'd be willing to bet that if you pick any of your favorite metal players, especially anyone who broke new ground, they'd tell you that they've been influenced by stuff from all over the map. There's got to be an infusion from some unlikely place occasionally, or everything stagnates. I think there are great players & crappy players in just about every type of music, & it's cool to really listen to a solo from an old Steely Dan tune or whatever now and then, or to watch a bluegrass or flamenco player tear it up. I've been listening to some old Morphine CDs lately. Not a guitar on any of it, but it kicks ass, imo.

Comment

I....I look at tab.....

Comment

Like Mark, i often play whatever i'm in the mood to play at that particular time, usually depending on my mood. But i get what you are trying to pull out of us Mike, mine is Punk. Mostly 3 power chords for 2 1/2 to 3 mins, but man don't i like lightin up and playin me some Pistols or Ramones [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Mark,get a six string banjo.I got one and I drive every one crazy with " Breaking the Chains" and "It's Not Love" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Metallica on the banjo is also hilarious...........
                Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

"Deck The Halls"
                  Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                  Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Mark Knolpfer's Theme from the Princess Bride

Comment

I like heavy music but I can't stand to just listen to that. I like alot of different stuff. As far as guitar playing goes, ive been learning alot of 311 (and we would all agree they arent heavy metal) songs here lately like freeze time, frolic room, silver etc...I love how it mixes punk with reggae/jazz/blues type stuff. Quite tasteful. But on the other hand, Ill jam some old testament (preferably practice what you preach), metallica, sepultura (preferably Chaos A.D)....list goes on. I dig shredding type guitar but not all the time.

Kinda funny that this post pops up, i was just learning a neil diamond song the other night

"She got the way to move me, cherry...SHE GOT THE WAY TO MOVE ME YEAH"

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Queen I guess isn't metal. I like to play blues quite a bit. Neither of those seem guilty to me, but this might...

I was goofing around with a friend while he was on piano and I had my guitar out and we played a bunch of stuff including Heart and Soul, the Pink Panther theme, etc

Comment

I'm also a big techno/trance/underground electro fan.

My ultimate dream would be a progressive metal band with heavy backing by the technoside of the musical spectrum.
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

These days metal is pretty boring for me, it doesn't inspire me at all. I get ideas from blues, jazz, latin, bossa nova, funk, fusion, classical, new age, dub/lounge/house/acid electronical, eastern music, bluegrass, R'N'B, pop, rap, experimental, art rock, prog, avant-garde, impressionism, flamenco and everything else wich is out of the box.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I actually listen to Rhapsody... Sometimes.

As for playing... I'm not really guilty or embarassed about anything I can play.

Comment

Working...
                              X