Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guilty Guitar Pleasures

[ QUOTE ]
    These days metal is pretty boring for me, it doesn't inspire me at all. I get ideas from blues, jazz, latin, bossa nova, funk, fusion, classical, new age, dub/lounge/house/acid electronical, eastern music, bluegrass, R'N'B, pop, rap, experimental, art rock, prog, avant-garde, impressionism, flamenco and everything else wich is out of the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Endrik, name some more, so we can be even more impressed! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      These days metal is pretty boring for me, it doesn't inspire me at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way I feel. When I really want to play, I have to jam to 80's hair metal. I hate to sound old but there isn't much new stuff that I like.
      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

None of it is guilty for me. I've been learning some Bob Seger, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, The Who, etc..
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          These days metal is pretty boring for me, it doesn't inspire me at all. I get ideas from blues, jazz, latin, bossa nova, funk, fusion, classical, new age, dub/lounge/house/acid electronical, eastern music, bluegrass, R'N'B, pop, rap, experimental, art rock, prog, avant-garde, impressionism, flamenco and everything else wich is out of the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Endrik, name some more, so we can be even more impressed! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chamber music, modern-classical compositions, big band jazz, be-bop, aborigen music, hogaku, j-pop, j-rock, big band/orchestral estrad, dodecaphony, industrial, ambient, jungle beat, african folk, tribal, nu jazz, trip-hop, motown, psyhdelic, breakbeat, south-east europe and south west asian traditional music, country and western etc. etc. etc. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          These days metal is pretty boring for me, it doesn't inspire me at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way I feel. When I really want to play, I have to jam to 80's hair metal. I hate to sound old but there isn't much new stuff that I like.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I play 80's hair metal all the time.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I mess with pop stuff every now and then. Playing some old 80's pop stuff is pretty fun. Worked out every breath you take and goodbye to you by scandal the other day just for shits and grins. pretty fun to play.

Comment

I don't play "metal" per-se, basically my style is heavily distorted blues based rock. '80s style rock, or straight up blues with an attitude, ala Gary Moore. I will also play cleaner style blues in the SRV vein. However, I play all kinds of music...I like to play funk, I like to play pop stuff like Bryan Adams and The Cars...whatever I feel like, basically.

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Recently I have been playing Jack Johnson stuff and really wanting an acoustic again. As long as it is something that the person created themselves I generally have no guilt.

Comment

I like such a wide range of rock, blues, metal, jazz, etc, that when I play and am playing a a song I like, or a lick I like, there is a chance it could be any one of those, or a mixture.

gotta love playing clean w/ the chorus dialed in.

and I love electrics, but I also like getting big sound out of acoustics, I play those a lot, and feel that the more versatile one can be and the more styles you can adapt, the better player you are. being good at everything makes learning the music you really love, a lot easier.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Bluegrass and Folk guitar stuff. Wood songs old time radio hour is a great show! You can find a sweet video of California Guitar Trio and Acoustic Eidolon on the CGT website. I believe it is an hour or so of those two groups playing some wonderful music!

I love jazz guitar as well. Pat Metheny (sp?), Pat Burrel, Sheryl Bailey, and many others. Those dudes can play!

There are a lot of classical guitarists that tickle my fancy too. A few years ago, I saw a quartet from the southern parts of the States at a local venue. It was wonderful. Segovia is another guy I could listen to for a while. I once heard a guy by the name of Ihtor or Victor or something like that.. his last name was Villalobos. He was a friggin amazing guitarist. I could listen to that guy play for a while as well!
                    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

On the bass guitar front, I have been into 70s pop music as of late. Older stuff like Stevie Wonder, Captain and Tenille, and other music that was typically written on piano tend to have interesting bass lines. These bass lines are quite different than Rush, Dream Theater, and other rock and metal stuff that I normally gravitate to, so they are good for expanding my thinking.

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Depeche Mode
                        Nine Inch Nails

and I saw a Disco special on PBS last night that was pretty fun heh heh
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The new Depeche Mode as well as NIN sounds pretty good from what I have heard on Sirius. Dont think I will run out and get the DM but I am thinkin about the NIN.

Comment

Working...
                          X