Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I don't activate/reactivate my XP.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I don't activate/reactivate my XP.....

...what REALLY happens?
    Microsoft Stormtroopers bust through my windows and confiscate my PC? Or does it simply send my computer into Shutdown until I enter a code at the Boot screen/Startup prompt? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I mean, all I did was replace the video card, motherboard, memory, and a PCI firewire card - still using the same old hard drive it was installed on when I bought the computer, and yes it's the only installation for this XP CD, but all I've done is replace a few bits of (admittedly integral) hardware - shouldn't the program be able to recognize the system drive it's on and not be concerned about the BIOS and such being different than it was before?

I mean, I'll admit it's ONLY a 1-800 number and a 4-hour grilling over the phone by some guy in India who decides whether or not I'm lying to him, but it's still a pain in my rump [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So really, what's the worst that can happen? I don't get automatic updates?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: If I don\'t activate/reactivate my XP.....

Ehm ... Check PM, please.

Comment

Windows 2K is good enough. F MS.

Comment

If its a legitimate copy of Windows XP, you've nothing to worry about. We call up Microsoft all the time and get new ID codes / activation codes without any problems. Of course we're dealing with legitimate software. If you can't activate because it says you activated once before, then its really easy to just call 'em up and say you reinstalled your operating system. They'll ask you some stupid questions ("Is this software being used only on one computer?" etc etc) and then give you a new code to type in. Takes like 10 minutes.

You wouldn't believe how easily they give out the authentication numbers / activation numbers.

Comment

It's definitely legit - this is the only HD it's been installed on, and I bought the CD when I bought my previous barebones system (the one where I just replaced my mobo, ram, and power supply because of a faulty $25 PCI card [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

If you aven't already dumped the hard drive you can just reinstall XP and use the "repair" mode. After replacing the hardware, boot from the XP CD. The first "repair" prompt will be for using the recovery console, don't use that one. At the second (or third?) prompt use "R" for repair. It should reinstall XP, recognize the new hardware, stay activated, and you won't lose any files or settings. This works at least 90% of the time.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah, Ive done the repair many times. It works but it sets you up without all the updates that you may have installed like sp1 or sp2. You will need to go to windows update and install them all over again. I usually end up doing this when a customer has f'd up his computer so bad that only a reinstall will help. Sometimes it doesnt help, like mm said, 90% works fine.

Comment

. [ QUOTE ]
                They'll ask you some stupid questions ("Is this software being used only on one computer?" etc etc) and then give you a new code to type in. Takes like 10 minutes.

You wouldn't believe how easily they give out the authentication numbers / activation numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. We have done it a handfull of times for customers machines and it really is quick.

Matt

Comment

I'll try them in the morning when I get in. Or sometime tomorrow when I'm off and have plenty of time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X