Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

All right guys (and gals), I'm kind of at a turning point. I'm a player first, and collector second. But, at the same time I've got a real GAS for a few pieces. There are a couple of things I would really like to have, first on the list is a custom shop Hamer Studio. Other than that I would like to have a USA Rhoads, the USA Dean Hardtails look nice, a nice USA V of some sort (Hamer, Dean, GMP, etc), a new USA Charvel, you get the point. Basically, I want to start getting some high end gear. Now, none of my stuff is bargain basement by any means. But my tastes have gotten a little more expensive. Here's my problem, I'm still in school right now. So the only way I can get any of this stuff is to sell my existing gear to afford the things I would like to have. Here's the rundown of what I've got:
    Charvel 650xl, Hamer Mirage, Hamer Artist Korina (these 3 I CANNOT sell)
    3 Charvel 750xl string thru's, Hamer Special FM, Hamer Californian, Peavey Wolfgang Specail Flametop, Peavey 5150 half stack and a Line 6 Flextone III Plus. These things I really like and would prefer not to sell, but GAS is getting the better of me. Now, I can either wait a few years until I'm out of school and buy pretty much anything I want, all the while keeping all that I have. Or, I can sell some of the things I own NOW to fund other gear. The catch is, I would be selling probably 3 guitars to every 1 I would buy. Now, I'm a bedroom player. I play for myself, and don't gig at all (I'm in school and I have no time for a band). So there really is no NEED to have more than 1 guitar. But I don't think there's any need to justify my wants around this place. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] OK, I've said my piece, what do my bro's think I should do?

Re: Need some advice

Dude, I'm almost in the same situation. My tastes have gone to expensive stuff. Everytime I want to buy something, I have always (not saying you should, this is just what I do) sold something to buy it. I've bought and sold a few guitars over the years, and now I have a G&L Legacy which I love and a Gothic Explorer that's gonna end up in the classifieds in a few days to fund a Dean Hardtail. I like the Explorer, I'm just not playing it as much as I used to and there's no way I'd wanna keep it around to sit in a case once I'm rockin the Hardtail. Buying gear, especially when your not playing out is hard to justify I think, but if you play for yourself, that's all the justification you need. It's your life, your money and limiting yourself because you think you don't need it won't help ya with your GAS and it won't make ya happy in the end. If ya got it, spend it and be happy. If anything of yours ain't getting enough play time, unload it and grab something new. I'm also a student working almost full time, so it's hard to buy new gear when you need the $, but if your willing to live on ramen noodles for awhile and stop drinking as much (these are mine, your spending habits might be different), hell, go for it.

Comment

Stop drinking?!?!?! Of course, I don't have time to work while taking over 30 credit hours per semester. And my wife works full time, thank you very much. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I appreciate the feedback, though.

Comment

The hell you need all that stuff for? Get the few guitars that you REALLY want

Comment

yeah, sell some of that mid-level shit you got and get what you want. you'll jones for it until you do. and who needs 3 of the same model guitar?
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Hamer Special FM

[/ QUOTE ]
            I got dibs on getting that back if you ever do sell it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ARGH, my old FM! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] great guitar, it isn't 'mid-level shit' by any stretch of the imagination imho.

Pete

Comment

If you're happy with the guitars you have hang onto them. Selling 3 you like to roll the dice on one that may or may not pan out is a pretty big risk.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Sell your 750xls... TO ME! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Sell your 750xls... TO ME! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

.....with 1 coming my way ! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

One thing you have to watch out for (read: try to avoid) is becoming a "me too" collector - someone says "I've got a USA RR", you say "Me too". Someone says "I've got an SD Charvel", yo usay "me too". etc etc etc.

It's very easy to do that hanging around here, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I'd say wait till you're out of school and the money's rolling in. If you sell your "players" to buy "hangers" now, you won't want to play your "hangers", and will sell them to buy players, or play them and take a hit when you do sell.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That does make a lot of sense. I guess I should just be more patient. It's really hard sometimes to stifle the GAS I get hanging around here.

And by the way, the Hamer Special FM is definitely not "mid-level shit." That thing is an extremely well built, great sounding guitar. It's every bit as well built and playable as a brand new Studio Custom. It just doesn't have the "look at me" appointments like fancy inlays, binding or an arch top. The only reason why I would sell it is to fund a Studio Custom. They pretty much sound the same as they have the same materials. One just looks a little classier. Think of it like the girl next door vs. the beauty queen. Both perform a mean pole slobbering. And you wouldn't be afraid to let anyone know who was performing said pole slobbering. But you might take a little extra pride in showing off the beauty queen while the pole is being slobbered.

As far as who needs 3 750xl's, I guess there's a point there. But it is kind of cool to have 3. 2 have consecutive serial numbers. They all have different pickups and wiring, so they do all sound different. Plus, who else around here has 3 750xl string thru's. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] That's more of the collector's side of me, though. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Comment

I love to a have few pieces too but my wife isn't into letting me tap into strange...I have enough guitars and amps tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Stop drinking?!?!?! Of course, I don't have time to work while taking over 30 credit hours per semester. And my wife works full time, thank you very much. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I appreciate the feedback, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa whoa dude....I didn't say STOP drinking [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I just said I was drinking a lot less. To be specific I stopped drinking out a lot less. I totally understand with the job thing. My schedule is too crazy to work a normal job, I go into work at different hours because I'm lucky enough to have a very flexable boss, and I go in 6 days a week just to make a normal 40ish hours. Just like everyone else said, sell off the mid lvl stuff and keep saving. You won't get everything in one shot, but you'll be a lot closer

God man, what are you studying that your taking over 30 credits per semester? That's gotta be beyond stressful. My hats off to ya dude, I couldn't do all that in one semester [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll take a Charvel 750xl off your hands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X