MTA Transit Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTA Transit Strike

Well...My final was postponed...can't get to work either. I was gonna take a cab but the boss said to just just stay home. The hell do I do now? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: MTA Transit Strike

Man, that's gotta suck. We've been having issues with the CTA here. But luckily nothing like a strike.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

It's a total nightmare man. I'm one of the millions of NYers that live and die by the bus and train system here. When this goes everything slows down...it dosen't come to a stop but it sucks

Comment

I hear ya. My wife and I use CTA as our primary mode of transportation. We'd be a proverbaial turtle on it's back if it went down either to a strike or an accident.

But I have been known to walk home from work during the summer... I'd have to have my head examined if I did it during the winter...
        Occupy JCF

Comment

I feel for all you guys that are directly affected by the strike. I hope you all get along ok. It couldn't have happened at a worse time.

The other side of the coin is that their last contract sucked and the latest offer for a new contract was piss poor. These men and women all have the same troubles in their life as anyone else. I am sure they would rather be working, but with a fair contract. The MTA has the money, they are just trying to low ball these guys.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I just got this:

ALL EMPLOYEES WILL REPORT TO WORK REGARDLESS

Best travel methods are as follows:

Brooklyn:

Those within reach of Kennedy Airport will walk there and take an outbound flight either to Philadelphia, Washington, Atlanta, Miami, or Puerto Rico. They will then take a return flight to Newark Airport, from where PATH trains may be taken directly to New York. If hijacked to Cuba, try to get back as quickly as possible. Otherwise, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge or through the subway tunnels. If walking through the tunnels, bring a portable radio along to keep you informed regarding the status of the strike, so that if it is settled, you won’t be caught by the first train through while you’re walking the tracks.

Queens:

Those close to LaGuardia Airport, use the same method as Kennedy. Take an outbound flight and come back through Newark. Others may walk, or take a Long Island Railroad handtrack. From Penn Station, walk to Port Authority Bus Terminal. Take the bus to Albany and from there, take a connecting flight to Newark Airport.

Bronx and north of the city:

Take the train to Grand Central Station. If you can’t get to the train, DON’T try to come in, because you probably won’t get past 125th Street alive.

Manhattan:

Walk. If not in good health, get someone to carry you. If living in Midtown area, take bus to Albany, and follow instructions for Queens residents coming in on the LIRR handtracks.

Staten Island:

Take ferry, or build raft. If residing in the western part of the Island, walk to Hoboken, take bus to Port Authority, and go to Albany.

New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware:

Pennsylvania and Delaware take taxis, New Jersey, take bus to Port Authority and then Albany.

Do not come into work too early, since some bars may still be open, and the temptation to stop in for “a Quickie” may be too great. If mugged while en route, prior notice must be given. Burro rental services are available for those commuting from Elmhurst and Jackson Heights. The Company will provide bus service for those living in Montauk Point and Cape May, but for no other areas. All employees will check in upon arrival and departure. Bad weather will be no excuse. If you can swim, you can walk.

THE MANAGEMENT
            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Oh yah, as much as an inconvenience as this is, I'm totally in support of these guys. The cost of living in NY is pretty insane when you compare it to anywhere else in the US, and these people deserve to be able to live decently like the rest of us. If it's not them, someone else has to do the job and those people would still need to earn a decent wage, no matter what skill was involved. It's not always as easy as low skill = low wage.

I remember during the blackout we had last year, I walked from W72nd ST in Manhatten to my house with my bag and my acoustic in a hardshell case. According to mapquest, it's roughly 11.40 miles. Was a crappy day too, like 90 degrees or something, but I had the company of a few thousand New Yorkers [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] But along the way (after we crossed the bridge) there were MANY families giving out free bottles of water to people passing by [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]We get through anything I tell ya, I love this city. Of course there was the occassional asshole charging $50 to get to Brooklyn and others charging $20 for a 99 cent flashlight. That was probably the only scary part, walking home in COMPLETE darkness. But we got through that and worse, so we're gonna keep goin through this

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think I'll hit the bar a little later. 1pm...a little too early I think

Comment

1:00 PM is not too early to hit the bar... anytime after 10:00 AM is fair game. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] You guys deserve it.
                  -Rick

Comment

Guys - it's always 5 pm SOMEWHERE! Drink up !

Comment

There seems to be a recurring theme of mismanagement when it comes to public transit systems. They've been considering price raises and/or service cuts for the past couple of years here.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

I don't know what it is, they said they had a huge debt before the last increase they did here, but a month later said they had a surplus and kept 2 sets of books. I remember NY1 broke that story and no one ever spoke of it again. Something obviously isn't right with the way these guys are working, but no one seems to want to get it right until a problem arises. I think this strike should draw some attention to the problem, but now the media is spinning it by the city is now trying to punish these workers as severly as possible, according to what the law allows. It's really sad to see it come to this.

And I think I will hit that bar up...nothing else to do. Gonna go jam for awhile first though [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

This pretty much fucked up my working and x-mas shopping for the week. My friend's the manager of a hotel in Manhattan so I'm gonna head over there whenever I can get there. A bunch of us are gonna stay in a suite till this is all settled.
                          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Yah, I still had some xmas shopping to do. I called in at work and my friend said pretty much the whole block is closed down. He might close at 3-4 if it stays this way. He's pretty much waiting for UPS and he's closing

Comment

Hopefully this will get resolved soon. MTA may be doing more damage than good by striking.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X