Guitar playing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar playing question

Anyone know the reason why if you don't play guitar for a few days you seem to be able to play something faster than when you were initialy learning it. And I mean progressed a lot.

It just happened to me right now [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Re: Guitar playing question

Yea that tends to happen to me too.

Comment

that's why I hardly play anymore. I'm expecting to be smokin' any day now! (when I finally pick up the guitar again....)
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, and also, how can you play guitar for 25 years and still play like crap? It happened to me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I would think that the rest period gives your body a chance to repair and build the hand/arm muscles. Same reason why I can't do an intense workout if I just did one the previous day... I'm too weak to do it two days in a row.

Also, allowing a little break allows my calluses to harden, but if I wait TOO long, they soften and I have to build them back up again gradually.

Comment

+1 I also think you tend to approach it differently and may not press as hard since you're accustome to the fingering pattern. Take advantage of it and learn something new at that point.

Comment

that's just the riff settling in to your mind over time. it allows your hands/fingers to achieve in the next session, what perhaps you could not before.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

So I could be the best guitar player that ever lived, but I just don't know it yet? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  that's just the riff settling in to your mind over time. it allows your hands/fingers to achieve in the next session, what perhaps you could not before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You initially work out the part, then while you don't physically play it for awhile, your mind is sorting it out so when you do pick it up again, the hesitancy that was there before, slowing you down, is now gone.

Sometimes if I hear a song on the radio in the car, where I have no guitar at handd, I'll get a very close idea of how to play it by just listening. The guitar might be a disadvantage to have in your hands sometimes, if it stops you from listening with full attention.

But then, I'm primarily an ear-trained player, and don't use tab or sheet music to learn.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

+1 with lerxst.

Comment

Yup... When trying to learn something new, can never play it too fast or clean. Then like a week or so later, I pick up a guitar and suddenly I can play it perfectly. Makes no sense!
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

yeah I know that too.
                        I think it's coz of relaxement and more fun during play once you stopped for a day or too.
                        motivation is everything for me once it comes to playing.

further your brain needs to build up new connections. this usually takes half an hour only, but it won't hurt if you give it some more time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I used to play for an hour or so and than make a break for about half an hour. I mentioned when I overdo it and play for three hours my concentration gets weak and I end up playing worth.
                        this way I give my brain some time to handle the new input and it works out much better. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The guitar might be a disadvantage to have in your hands sometimes, if it stops you from listening with full attention

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that. Could very well be true. Makes sense.
                          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Personally, my left hand seems to be pretty uncooperative and stiff. On some days, It's not so bad, but often it cramps up pretty quickly if I'm doing scales or whatnot. It's always been that way, so it's not because I'm getting old. In fact, even though I've been playing for 19 years, I actually seem to be improving more in the last year or two than ever before.

One thing I find that helps, is if I run my hands under hot water for a few minutes before I play.

When you're just learning something new, it can get frustrating when everytime you try to play it, you screw it up. Then you try harder, and you screw it up worse. However, the whole time, it is being etched into your brain. When you go back later, and find that you can play it easier and more smoothly, it's because you're more relaxed, and you're letting your brain take care of it rather than trying to force your fingers to play it.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Anyone know the reason why if you don't play guitar for a few days you seem to be able to play something faster than when you were initialy learning it. And I mean progressed a lot.

It just happened to me right now [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its because you forgot how slow you were playing the few days before. Lay off the bong hits!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X