Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAMPA Petition

[ QUOTE ]
    All you guys that are up in arms ought to rent the documentary The Corporation.

Did you know that recently Bechtel arranged with the government of Bolivia to privatize their water supply? It became illegal for peasants to gather rainwater. This eventually led to the overthrow of the Bolivian government.

Corporations are trying to make every *thing* on this planet, whether it be physical or intellectual, subject to ownership rights. Even the gene sequence in your DNA, you don't have the right to. The pharaceutical industry is taking out patents on all the useful gene sequences in your DNA as they discover them.

Lawyers are the wrong target. They are simply enforcing the laws on the books. You ought to see the process by which these laws get on the books. Yep, it was a corporation that changed long standing patent laws that living things could not be patentable. As a corporation, I can own a species of animal!

[/ QUOTE ]
    On my part, its not unbelief(unwillingness to believe such is happening). Its, how in the world did ownwership rights get this far out of control? How far does one let the other push the envolope without resistance? Use common sense, we have never had this to be an issue in the past like its become today. Its really ridiculous in the sense nobody is protesting such dictorship. Its one thing to ensure the artist his or her ownership rights and the royalities from it. Its an altogether different ball game sueing a guitar teacher for teaching a kid/student "smoke on the water" riff, or trying to stop tab. Your constiguients aren't dumb.
    Don't say the internet caused all this, or I'll have a strong desire to hunt you down and smack in front of your enemies to humilate you.

This is some what very similar in some sense to the boston tea party. People weren't gonna take such nonsense back then and they sure aren't today either. What are they trying to start a revolution? I know it sounds extreme, but many have died for alot less cause. Its going to far when I can't whistle my favorite VH tune or teach a kid how to play his or her favorite song by whoever. Cmon, this isn't entirely about ownership rights, only an idiot would believe that.

Radio should be outlawed then all we should hear on the radio is news. Wait, my bad, even the news is copy written.
    I won't be able to put an alpine deck in my car and listen to DVD's or the radio because I'll have to sign an agreement to say no to piracy use. Better yet, the deck will have smart technoloy being able to detect a burned CD and reject it, much like many PC dvd/cd-r players do now or in the near future thanks to bill gates. I will have to have a liscense or perhaps agree to an agreement at time of purchase to buy an item that has copy rights. Wow, thats better much everything manufactured and sold on shelves, including appliances.

Hmmn, see where this can easily go and how fast it will get there. They most definitely don't want to start a copy rights war, many business that will definitely effect "corporate america" will belly up. Are you sure thats what they want?
    I tell you ignorance is bliss. Be informed people, be informed, knowledge is indeed power and power back to the people. Of course, the powers that be, thats what they don't want. They don't want you to be informed and have conviction to do something about it. Ignorance is bliss I tell you.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I guess this is happening sooner than I thought. I'm speechless...

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.u..._a_fiddle.html

[/ QUOTE ]
      [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] That's it, I'm going to have every kid fined that walks into GC and butchers some cool guitar riff from now on! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Imagine what the the price of guitar lessons would be if all this got out of hand. Wow...
        Music professor at universities and local guitar stores would have to comply or give up teaching. Wow...
        Think about it and let it settle in.
        Were talking about a different world wide way of doing business. I don't think people are willingly ready for that.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

How would they enforce that though? Sure we have the freedom of speech, but not the freedom of expression though musicial instraments... seems odd.
          Someone should start sueing every band that has ever used the pentatonic scale... claim it was first used by a great... great ...great uncle or something.

Comment

Chris I didn't compare a kid playing a riff in a music store to B&E, please don't read more into what I wrote than is actually there. My analogy served merely to illustrate that it is not the least bit hypocritical to selectively enforce rights because most of us would choose to enforce our rights only in those circumstances in which it was economically sensible to do so if the proverbial shoe were on the other foot.

There is no perfect analogy between intellectual property theft and theft of personal property because intellectual property has one defining characteristic that no physical personal property can mimic: it infinitely divisible and with each division is capable of producing a new income stream for its owner. When one infringes the intellectual property rights of another the value of the infringed IP is necessarily decreased due to the unauthorized appropriation of one of those potential income-producing infinite divisions by the infringer. An infringement is really nothing more than a potential diminution of the economic potential of the property.

Walking into an unlocked house (Are we to believe that this is somehow less illegal if the front door is unlocked?) and sketching an object fails utterly as analogy to infringement because it in no way accounts for the fact that an infringement of intellectual property necessarily reduces the potential value of said property by reducing the property’s ability to produce income. It is the owner of the intellectual property and no other that retains the sole right to commercialize (or not) the property in any way he sees fit. You have no more right to post, copy, or download a tab of a copyrighted song than you do to erect a building on an undeveloped parcel of land that you do not own. In both cases the owner of the property in question retains the sole right to determine whether or not the property will be commercialized and to what extent.

It makes no difference whether the unauthorized derivative work, for example a tablature uploaded to powertabs.net, is completely accurate or miserably inaccurate. The bottom line is that by making the decision to make a form of the copyrighted work freely available you have deprived the owner of the property of his right to determine the uses that will be made of that property. I honestly don’t understand how anyone living in a nation that recognizes any type of private property rights can believe that they are entitled to the free use of the property of another merely because they desire it. That’s just dumb. Well, actually it’s communism and that’s just dumb.

Music teachers will have differing rights depending on their circumstances. There’s a statutory exception that covers classroom teaching but if you want to fall within it you’d best be employed by a nonprofit educational institution (e.g., a guitar teacher teaching at your local state university) and be using the materials in the regular course of your classroom teaching. There are also cases on point that sketch the boundaries of the judicially created doctrine of “fair use” as it applies to the use of portions of copyrighted works by educators engaged in for-profit education (e.g., the guitar teacher at your local shop) but the boundaries of the allowable uses differ as does the procedural stance. As a policy matter our society has chosen to afford a broader ability to utilize copyrighted works to educators in nonprofit institutions than we afford to folks engaging in for-profit teaching in the private sector. If you want to encourage kids to play instruments get a job or volunteer your time at a local public school or other nonprofit educational institution and teach to your heart’s content. If you want to engage in for-profit teaching in the private sector inspire the kids with your own compositions rather than being lazy and stealing the work of others. After all, if you’re in it for profit you can allocate a fraction of that profit to properly compensate the folks whose works you exploit in order to make your living, no?

The aggressive stance of the music industry derives strictly from fear, they’re lashing out because they see the writing on the wall, have no better ideas, and are utterly terrified of moving to new and more innovative business models. One of my occasional business partners consults at the top levels of the recording and motion picture industries and the view from there is not cheery in the least. They’re used operating with a business model that can both absorb a 95%+ failure rate and allow tens of millions of dollars to be thrown at the occasional successful product in hopes of securing an even fatter payday that’ll see them through the next two or three dozen failures. Though they’re not ready to hear it their central problem is that they seek to create demand by spending vast sums of money rather than listening to their customers and following demand already present in the marketplace, a far cheaper and more effective model. The music industry in particular moves along in lemming-like lines because it's far cheaper to attempt to piggyback a copycat act on your competitor's successful marketing campaign than to fund a potentially unsuccessful campaign of your own. That’s a stunning opportunity for smaller, faster-moving, and more business-savvy competitors.

Incidentally, it’s highly unlikely that the music industry in the US will ever seek royalties from music stores in the manner described in that article from the UK because: a) they’d likely be laughed out of court here; and b) it’s not in the industry’s best interest to seek bright-line clarification of the precise lower bound for non-infringing uses of copyrighted material. Think about it.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

This goofy shit really pisses me off, these morons need to get a life. I sang Crazy Train on the way to work today. Fuck 'em. Sue me.
              I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                what next?
                give your missus a facial and you owe peter north a few quid [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Working...
                X