Drive recovery software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive recovery software?

Ok, outof the blue, one of my 250GB drives decides it's not going to play with Windows XP any more and I can't get to all my Audio stuff - apps, mp3s, stuff I've been recording, not to mention a large amount of pics and other programs.

All XP asks me is if I want to format the drive. And I almost did.

But then I went looking for recovery software and found a few at Download.com. I grabbed VirtualLab and it found everything in no time. The bad news (and I mean baaaaaaaaaaaaaad in a really bad way) is that the program doesn't offer you the choice of simply moving the found files to another drive so you can doctor the ailing one. Oh no, no ,no, that would be easy.
    If you want their program to recover your files, you HAVE to upload them to their server - $129 for 20GB, and the price only goes up [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Naturally, the drive just happened to have 19 GB of missing files.

Now, I could understand if this was an OPTION, but they don't allow any other option, so it's more like a gun-to-the-head.

Thankfully I'd rather erase the drive completely and start all over rather than give in to highway robbery, so I went looking for more recovery software with a different search syntax (just type "recovery" at Download.com instead of "drive recovery" - you get more programs to choose from).

Oh, and V-lab does have an option to make an image of the drive - the entire 250 Gigs, not just the files. And wouldn't you just know the image is in a proprietary format, rather than an industry standard.
    Funny.

I'll let ya know how it turns out with these other programs, and which one I'll be buying (after it does the job, of course).

But if anyone knows of another similar program I should look into....?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Drive recovery software?

Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional v.6.0 or higher...

Works AWESOME to get pics amd music. Prolly trashes programs...

Pm me if you need some input...

Comment

GetDataBack or something like this. The best recovery, IMHO.

Comment

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I'm running Recover My Files (demo) right now and it's found tons of stuff, but it's taking some time (which I don't mind as long as it finds everything), but before I toast the drive I'll run some others and see what they find just in case it misses anything.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

get spinrite from grc.com
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Thanks - I'll check it out [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

21 hours with Recover My Files and it's still not done scanning - it's finding crap like crazy, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Once you're done with that...

Get that 250g hard drive, buy an external enclosure, and backup everything important once every month.

I have all my important media saved... over 150g + a full C: system drive image stored on my 200g external.

I have Acronis True Image do an incremental every week, and then every 4-6 weeks I do a full image and copy it to the external.

I am NOT losing another system drive, ever again.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
              X