250 Gig drives for $95!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 250 Gig drives for $95!!!!

WD and maxtor, definitely the way to go. I've never had a faulty seagate though but they do make more noise and general kinds of trouble [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

WD's are fine, I'd like to get a good deal on a 74GB Raptor.

The thing with these I don't like is the 2MB cache. How much is this after shipping? Have you tried Sam's or Costco yet to see how much these are new (they might have 8MB cache versions as well)?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        WD's are fine, I'd like to get a good deal on a 74GB Raptor.

The thing with these I don't like is the 2MB cache. How much is this after shipping? Have you tried Sam's or Costco yet to see how much these are new (they might have 8MB cache versions as well)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got my 74 gig Raptor in and it screams. I cannot wait to get another and RAID them. Were you refering to the Raptors as 2 MB Cache ?? because I am pretty sure they are 8 Meg only. They are a tad bit noiser than a normal WD, but still quieter than a Seagate or Maxtor and with 8 fans in my system I can only hear it if I stick my head next to the box. NewEgg has um for $135 after rebate.

Matt

Comment

No, the ones I posted are the 2MB cache drives. While I'm sure there's some sort of speed benefit to 8MB cache, I'm also sure XP will find a way to defeat it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I guess if I actually had one 8MB drive to compare the speed difference to I'd care, but I don't, so I don't [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Were you refering to the Raptors as 2 MB Cache ??

[/ QUOTE ]

As Newc said, I was refering to the ones he bought.

I have a 15K Fujitsu SCSI in my regular PC, with a 10K swap drive. It's good for email and surfin' the web [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The Raptor will be for my Dual Xeon 2.7GHz DVD Cruncher / TiVo system.

Comment

Working...
            X