2005... a year in review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005... a year in review

I looked around for a thread like this, and I could not find one...

As 2005 comes to a close, I wanted to start a topic for everyone to share their thoughts about the last 36X days.

2005 was the year I discoverd many cool bands. Quo Vadis, Sun Caged, The Alarum, Becoming The Archetype, Between the Buried and Me, and many others... I would have to say Nevermore tops off the list. I had heard of them before '05, however I never really listened to their stuff. Then I heard their tune "The Heart Collecter" and it hit me like a sack of potatos. That song is deep! They have so many other great tunes as well. Loomis and the other dude are incredible... heck the whole band is. Seeing loomis play has contributed to many hours of practicing and many new ideas... It convinced me that in order to do what I want to do musically, I need a 7 string guitar. A baritone will not work.

Another wonderful thing that happened is I got engaged to the most wonderful woman ever. I bought two vehicles, a wedding ring that cost more than a custom shop Jackson, and we started building ourselves a house. I do not have money for anything else, but it makes me feel like I am doing something with my life as opposed to most of my friends who are still drinking and partying in college. I got just as much of an education as they did...Planning for our wedding, finances, and future in general has helped me grow up a lot..or maybe it has forced me to. I am not sure [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] There have been some hard times, especially with being laid off 3 times, however things have been going pretty well.

I also started drinking beer. I never really drank before, but I am 22 and I figure it is time I loosen up a little. I still do not drink very much, but I have finally acquired a taste for beer. Rolling Rock seems to be working pretty well for me right now.

Anyone have anything they want to contribute?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: 2005... a year in review

Can't really say 2005 was better or worse than previous years (except 2003 - that year sucked).
    There's things I'm thankful for, of course, but there's other things that still leave me with a big question mark.

I don't really recall anything off the top of my head that makes 2005 a memorable one - maybe being identity thefted, but in the Big Picture, it's just a fart in the dust storm of life.

Ah well, maybe 2006....?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Got a new job, might make partner, got my start into real estate, saw a lotta cool shows, had many fun and drunken nights with the friends and got kicked in the nuts by the former girlfriend. Good year, and I feel 06 is gonna kick even more ass [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Just to clarify, being kicked in the nuts wasen't a highlight for me, but I'm free again, so that's good [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Lost a ton of weight, graduated High School, moved out and started University, got a guitar from Tim and Dave ( [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] ), met the girl of my life, saw some excellent shows (Graspop '05!), had a recordbreaking amount of parties, helped raise a little guitarcompany, saw it fall again and lastly I will celebrate my 18th birthday in 3 days, celebration of my independence.

...Safe to say 2005 was a kick-ass year. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Let's see... 2005 got of to a crummy start for me. My mom passed away on Jan. 13th.

Finally got a 1st shift bid at work.

In July, I went to Summer NAMM and had a great time with Joel & Amy, Todd & Kristi, Tim, Eric and my friends Joe and Victor. We drank like prohibition was upon us. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My only new guitar this year was my PCS that I got from Pat.

Katrina.....ugh. Sorry to all that were affected by her.

Learned that Dodge may have a new Challenger out by 2008 or so. I can't wait. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] *prays* "Oh heavenly Father, please don't let the bean counters at Dodge fuck this up like they did the new Charger."
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              IAnyone have anything they want to contribute?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some advice: Don't get married [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                IAnyone have anything they want to contribute?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some advice: Don't get married [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

This year was okay, could have been better but okay all the same. Say, what do you so with 365 used rubbers?

Melt them down, mold em into a tire, and call it a good year.

Comment

2005 = kickass ! ! !

i started playing live, actually went on an european tour and as a matter of fact played countless shows, had as much fun as never in my life. lotsa parties and chicks included,
                    of course. made a lot of new friends. went through quite a lot of gear, esp. amps, and most of the time i even made some money when reselling the stuff. met an absolutely incredible girl, unfortunately lost her due to distance problems, but enjoyed every single second nevertheless.

sure, there's definitely some room for improvement, but 2005 has set the level quite high. and thank god for that [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Fragle, if you ever play in Belgium or near here, please drop me a line.

Comment

i played in belgium once, and i DID drop you a line, beatch! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i also played 2 shows in holland

let me see....
                        09. Mar. 2005 (BEL) St. Niklaas @ The Starz
                        10. Mar. 2005 (NL) Hengelo @ Monopol
                        11. Mar. 2005 (NL) Rotterdam @ Baroeg

the hengelo show was pretty cool, nice club and nice food. rotterdam wasn't as good for some reason....kinda messy club, crappy stage sound, and mediocre food...but a kickass city nevertheless. dutch chicks rule btw [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                        as far as the st. niklaas show goes....the food wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but i've never been the one to complain about bad catering...beer was OK, that's all that matters [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] the crowd was decent iirc, the stage was rather weird though....not very high, and almost V shaped....i think it was a strip club or something similar [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Now I remember, you mock Belgian beer! Blasphemy!

I'll never be at one of your shows, that's for sure [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

moved into a new (slightly higher paying, better, more satisfying) job, that was nice.

got a new house. That was kinda nice too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

got my head right for the first time in years. It was nice feeling happy most of the time. Much better than the last several, miserable bastard me.

maintained better contact with my sibs & parents this year.

So I actually had a pretty great year.

oh, and of course, I continued to enjoy the good patronage of the best forum on the net (I assume - I stopped looking at other forums years ago) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

In 2005, I

--bought and sold a shitload of guitars, including several Jacksons
                              --made some dramatic gains in my playing and writing
                              --tried out for a band for the first time in ages
                              --bought my first-ever new car
                              --found out I will be getting promoted in 2006
                              --got rid of a whole bunch of debt
                              --stayed married to my wonderful wife
                              --started growing my hair long again
                              --somehow managed to avoid going postal

Pretty damned good year, all in all. And I certainly needed one of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X