Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar photography thread - Post your crappy pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar photography thread - Post your crappy pics!

Here's a little exercise I want to do. I've made the most out of my digital camera's software bundle for editing photos, but it has its limits. I recently got Photoshop and I'm using it strictly to edit photos. It has a lot more features and is more flexible, so I want to practice getting good with it.

Here's the deal. You post your mediocre guitar pictures and I'll try to enhance them so that you can save and share the enhanced versions. I'll also tell you what I did to them to enhance them, so that you can learn how to edit photos with basic image editing software. I'll also give my view on what you can do to improve your shooting in the future, because let's face it... the enhanced image will only be as good as the original image you shoot in the first place. So practice good photography to make your editing job easier down the road! You can't polish a turd. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Let's begin with an example of what I'm talking about. Here are Travis' guitars. The first photo was taken with the built-in flash:

Click the thumnail for a larger version:

Notice the uneven lighting due to the flash. Notice the harsh flash glare. Enter rule number one... TURN OFF YOUR FLASH when shooting guitars or mostly anything else, for that matter. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but it's an EXCELLENT one for starters. Flashes have a way of making really gorgeous guitars look like absolute crap... and this is why a lot of people say, "Photos do NOT do this guitar JUSTICE!" And they're right. So please, turn it off! And I won't edit flash-taken pictures if they're THAT bad, so please don't feel offended because I have nothing to work with in the first place! Onwards...

So Travis turns off the flash and gets this:

It looks a little more even and natural-looking. It looks more like what the human eye sees. To artists, obviously he or she has different filters, lenses, and tricks to use to make an image come out a certain way. But to me, guitar photography is replicating EXACTLY what you see with the human eye. Shooting product shots like guitars should be exact. However, the photo has a slight reddish cast, caused by the incandescent interior lighting of Travis' living room, so it's not totally natural-looking yet. Fluorescent lighting gives off a blue cast which you can correct for as well, either on your camera or using your software. Do it on your camera first, because it eliminates a lot of steps down the road. Additionally, the photo is still a little dark so we'll fix that in the next step.

Now let's color balance the picture so that the whitepoints and darkpoints (I think those are the proper terms are called) are defined. Look up these things in your camera image editing software's manual because this is a basic feature that also happens to be extremely powerful. This gets rid of that horrible reddish cast. The guitars are kind of "hidden in the shadows"... that's my way of explaining that the midtones are too dark. Adjusting the gamma (middle slider on your histogram) slightly to the left allows the guitars to "jump" out of the shadows. The gamma adjustment keeps the extreme dark and extreme light ends of the spectrum relatively the same, but allow the low-mid and mid tones to jump out. This is a very handy technique for people shots (without a flash) as well, as overhead lighting usually makes people look like they have "raccoon eyes", and adjusting the gamma eliminates those shadows. Let's look at the new photo:

The color balance isn't 100% perfect, as I have not fully mastered the art of color balance yet, but I'm definitely working on it and you can see an improvement over the second photo. The whites are whites, the blacks are pitch black, and everything else in between looks as if you're looking at Travis' guitars with your own eyes. It's a great collection to show off to the world now!

In this thread, I'll also be offering miscellaneous tips and tricks for making the most out of your camera and software to really show off your guitars. I'm sure the photography buffs like Xenophobe and other guys who take good photos but maybe don't know it (Markus, Shawn, Budman, Kev Maynard, MHalsey, OnlineStageGear, and quite a few others) would probably chime in with their own tips, or to back up my tips as being really helpful.

So tip #1 is turn off your damn flash. However, doing this is effectively killing off a potential light source, which is why I encourage people to take photos in adequate ambient light. The easiest thing is to take your guitar outdoors and into a shaded spot because the outdoors are bright enough but the shade eliminates harsh sun reflections. Nothing ruins a potentially good outdoor guitar shot like harsh sunlight reflecting off polished chrome/gold hardware!

If you're lazy like me, you shoot guitars indoors under adequate light. Because you're turning off the flash, the camera's shutter needs to stay open longer to increase the exposure. During this time, the camera picks up on the subtlest hand shaking movements, so put the camera on a steady surface or tripod. Another tip here is to use the countdown/self-timer mode on your camera, because when the timer counts down, you're standing AWAY from the camera and not shaking it. Excellent.

More topics to discuss later, including how to white/color balance (which is what I did to Travis' non-flash photo above), how to do extreme closeup shots that you guys love my photos for, photo composition, discussing little pearls of wisdom that may have eluded you until now, why extreme numbers of megapixels are overrated when buying a camera strictly for web use, making the most out of Photobucket for forum sharing and Ebay selling, and loads more. Hope you enjoyed this little lesson because it took me a half hour to type up. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Your feedback is GREATLY appreciated, as I know some of you have been requesting guitar-related photo tips for a while, and I was writing a big Microsoft Word document about it, but then abandoned it.

So let's see some pictures you've been practicing with, preferably with no flash!

Re: Guitar photography thread - Post your crappy pics!

This is an awesome thing for you to do! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Here's a picture of my favorite axe, and I took your advice about not using the flash. It turned out a little dark though. Can you fix it? I would appreciate it greatly! Thanks for your help bro!

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Re: Guitar photography thread - Post your crappy p

Here's an example of a photo taken with flash that actually LOOKS GOOD.

But you'll still see that one section of the body that's lighter than the others, as well as sections of the strings that are brighter than others. I've found this to be generally unavoidable when taking flash pictures, which is why I emphasize turning off the flash.

Here's an example of tweaking an almost optimal picture to begin with. These are a real pleasure to work with because the raw image is mostly correct from the start. It saves a lot of headaches.

Here's the original Firebird photo:

It's pretty decent, except it seems a little "dull". So let's fix it.

The first thing I did in Photoshop was to Auto adjust the Levels. I used Auto because the image only needs fine balancing adjustment. It corrected the levels, but the guitar still looked a bit dull. So I bumped up the Saturation a couple of notches (user discretion to be exercised here) and it made the guitar come alive with rich color. This is one way of restoring old/faded photographs you've scanned into your computer to bring them back to their original lively quality. Here's the new pic with Level and Saturation adjusted:

[img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] A nice little improvement over the original picture. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Hope you enjoyed this little lesson too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Guitar photography thread - Post your crappy pics!

I'll be happy to guinea pig myself, as I take fairly crappy guitar photos. It doesn't help that my digital camera is pretty darn old too (1.3 mega pixel). Any help/tips you can give me I will definitely appreciate. Thanks boss!

Comment

I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I'm loving the neck angle of that Star, man [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here's one of my "secrets":
            Instead of turning off the flash and trying to capture "natural light", wrap a thin piece of paper (or two depending on the strength of your flash and the density of your paper) around your flash to diffuse it. Since my camera (Olympus D600L) has a pop-up flash, I just rubber-band a small square of double-folded printer paper around it, but if your flash is embedded in the camera, try taping it on with some Scotch-type tape.

For neat effects, you can also cover the flash with a pair of those old red and blue 3D glasses, of course, be aware that you'll get a TON of red or blue, but it's a neat effect.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Oooh, pics!!! Excellent. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'll start with mm2002. Mark, your picture was unfortunately unsalvageable. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Too much of it exists at the low end of the spectrum on the histogram, and even then, the signal wasn't strong enough (the peaks on the histogram weren't high enough). My next suggestion would be to increase the lighting in the room, increasing your camera's EV (exposure compensation thing, it's probably mentioned in your camera's manual), and setting it on a sturdy surface/tripod to obtain a crisp shot. Sorry that your pic didn't turn out so workable. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Razor, with your first picture, I see you took it with a flash. It's not a bad flash picture to begin with. What I did was to Auto Level it, and then DECREASE the Contrast just a tiny bit to even it out (due to the flash creating glare spots). However, this sucked out some of the vivid color in the picture, so I added it back with a slight bump in the Saturation. You could also stand to resize it just a little bit, because at that size, it was starting to stretch my little 15" monitor, but it wasn't a problem. Resizing is easy. And I'm posting it as a Photobucket clickable thumbnail (AWESOME new feature they have!!) to keep the size down. Here it is:

Your second picture was a pleasure to work with. It looks like an outdoors shot in the shade with no flash, so the lighting is very even and natural. I did a quick Auto Level adjust to correct for any white/color balance issues I might not have picked up on. Midtone/gamma adjustment and Saturation adjustment weren't needed. So here it is:

Comment

Guys, resize your photos in Photobucket (if you're using it, that is). When logged in Photobucket, find the picture you want (but don't click on it), and hit the EDIT function above the thumbnail. It will then bring you to a page where you can resize the picture. Choose a size and hit the RESIZE button. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Alternatively, post the clickable thumbnail version as I have done. It's a GREAT new feature Photobucket has and I've just started using it. Logged in to Photobucket, check off the picture that you want to generate a clickable thumbnail for, scroll down to the bottom of the screen where you should see a pulldown menu that says "Please Select Action", and pull it down to "Generate HTML and IMG code". Hit the GO button. You will highlight the text within the box that says "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards". Copy (press CTRL+C on your keyboard) and then paste it here on the message board with CTRL+V. Makes it easier. Please go back and edit your posts to show the the thumbnail if you have time before the edit expires. Thanks!!

Comment

Thanks a lot! I just saved them. When you say resize, am I correct in assuming you mean I need to reduce/downsize the pictures?

Comment

Drsracing:

I couldn't Auto Level adjust like I did for most of the guys above, because you've got numerous colored light sources (the little hanging Christmas lights) interfering with the color balance. So what I did was to manually redefine the black point and manually redefine the white point. You can do that on the Level adjust (red circle = black point dropper tool, green circle = white point dropper tool):

First, select the black point dropper tool and arbitrarily choose an area in the photo that you believe is BLACK BY DEFINITION and click on it. I chose the pickguard of your red Strat because we all know that it's SUPPOSED to be black. Then, select the white point dropper tool and arbitrarily choose an area in the phot that you believe is WHITE BY DEFINITION and click on it. I chose a white stripe on your EVH guitar because we all know that it's SUPPOSED to be white. I didn't pick a spot on your wall because I don't know if you painted your wall a blistering white or not. Choose something you know. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And here's the photo:

Comment

Newc, that's a trick I've known about for a while in order to diffuse the flash, but I've never tried it myself. Good to know it just in case though. Theoretically it reduces the flash glare harsh spots.

Razor, you're right, you need to reduce the physical dimensions of the photo so that it doesn't take up as much space on the screen. Photobucket will do it for you, just follow my directions a few posts above. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Also, if I forget to say "You're welcome" to anyone in this thread, just assume it... because I've got a lot to type and sometimes forget. So thanks for posting your pictures and just assume that you're welcome for me practicing editing them and critiquing them. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Also, try to control the amount of pics posted... I only have so much time to do this but I'll try to get through everybody's requests as they come in. You're also free to post "before and after" pictures of your own editing efforts based on the knowledge you've gained from this thread about basic editing like white/color balance, saturation, contrast, etc.

Comment

I'm intrigued - can you do anything with this?:

Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

How about this?
                            Taken in direct sunlight.
                            -Janne

Comment

does anyone else hear the theme from 2001 space odyssey?

Comment

Working...
                              X