Home Audio Help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Audio Help needed.

I need some help from some knowledgable audio buffs out there.

I have just bought a Pioneer A/V Reciever Home Theater Surround Sound unit.

I really like the features and the layout, BUT Ive got a problem.

These dont come with speakers. . .ok. I have some speakers, some good ones that I wanted to use, but they are 4 Ohms.

The back of the unit and the Instruction manual says I can use 6-16ohm speakers.

Would there be anything harmful about hooking up my four 4ohm speakers? I really dont wanna buy new speakers if I dont need to.

Thanks alot for the help guys.

Re: Home Audio Help needed.

The lower impedance will let you amp put out more power, but at the risk of overheating and damage. Usually it says somewhere on the amp or paperwork the absolute minimum you need to run. I think going from 16 down to 4 might be pushing it.

Comment

Is it a Pioneer Elite or just Pioneer? The Elites can usually run a 4 ohm speaker without any problems. Where did you buy it? Can you call the salesperson and ask him/her? Are you using Cerwin Vega speakers?

Comment

Its just a Pioneer, the VSX-515 model.
        web page

That one there.

The speakers aren't Cerwin Vega speakers, they're some JVC speakers.

This is what the Owners Manual says:

"You can use speakers with a nominal impedance between 6-16 ohms (please see Switching the speaker impedence on page 51 if you plan to use speakers with an impedence of less than 8ohms.)"

I guess the minimum is 6 then?

Now, on page 51 it says:

" Switching the speaker impedance
        We recommend using speakers of 8ohms with this system, but it is possible to switch the impedence setting if you plan to use speakers with a 6ohm impedence rating."

Then it goes though the process of changing the ohms from 8 to 6 on the reciever.

I suppose I gotta dig in my pockets some more and buy some more speakers, yes?

Comment

Yeah... or exchange the receiver for one that can handle a 4ohm load. Where did you buy it?

Comment

Or wire a 2 ohm resistor in series!!

Comment

Or just don't turn it up way too loud

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Yeah... or exchange the receiver for one that can handle a 4ohm load. Where did you buy it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I like the reciever alot. The way its setup is damn near perfect, and none of the others at the store were what I wanted, or were just way too expensive for me.

I bought it at Best Buy.

[ QUOTE ]
                Or wire a 2 ohm resistor in series!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds interesting, I just wire one of those in series with my speaker and that would make it 6 ohms?

[ QUOTE ]
                Or just don't turn it up way too loud

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well I just dropped a decent amount of money for this thing, and I dont want to screw it up. They're speakers from my old boom box, they're not anything great quality, but do sound very nice. I guess its only fair that I get some good speakers to go with my good stereo.

I found some cool Sony ones today, $55 each, 8ohms, sound nice. I think I may just buy them, and that way I wont have to worry about this anymore.

There goes my tubescreamer money! LOL.

Comment

Working...
                X