Question about guitar trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about guitar trade

I'm considering trading someone (not from these forums) guitars. They do not have a case to ship their guitar in but they said it will ship in a gig bag (heavily padded, neck supported, double-boxed, etc.). I'm really not too comfortable shipping without a hardcase. Am I being over cautious? I've heard stories that UPS/FedEx won't cover shipping damage if the guitar isn't in a hardcase. Should I ask the other guy to purchase a cheap case to ship the guitar in??

I'd really like for this trade to work out but I've heard a lot of horror stories relating to shipping damage.

Advice please!

Re: Question about guitar trade

[ QUOTE ]
    Should I ask the other guy to purchase a cheap case to ship the guitar in??

[/ QUOTE ]

I would really recommend it. When I didn't have a hardcase to ship my guitar I bought a cheap one and the dude split the cost with me all to ensure it gets there safe. If he's reasonable ask him to see if he'll pony up the dough to go half on a cheap hardshell case with ya

Comment

Or you could by the case and have it shipped to his place?

Comment

If they are nice people then they would agree splitting the cost of a cheap case, if not;

Ship your guitar in a case that will suit the one you'll get from them. You'll ship your guitar and then they will send your guitar to you with your hard case. And since they're not giving you a case, you don't need to give them one.
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

If you have a case and he doesn't I would send him the guitar you are trading him in your case and have him put his guitar in it and ship it back to you... If it will fit of course.

I've never heard of FedEx or UPS not shipping a guitar unless it's in a case. I've had many guitars shipped to me from Musicians Friend that didn't have a case or gig bag. Just a guitar box inside a shipping box with just a little padding around the guitar inside. All arrived without a scratch.
          Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Shipping a guitar in a hard case does not guarantee it won't get damaged, and shipping without one does not mean it definitely will get damaged.

I've had Charvels shipped to me in no cases, but properly packed and they arrived just fine.

Make him loosen or remove the strings and properly pack with lots of bubble wrap, especially around the headstock/neck joint and you should be OK.

Comment

I shipped a Dinky to someone in California once in a padded gig bag. I wrapped the guitar in bubble wrap, then wrapped the bag in bubble wrap, then put it in a box with more bubble wrap, packing peanuts, etc. It arrived safe and sound.
              Also, those foam egg crate mattress pads work very well as packing material.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Why not just ship it with the neck off? I did that when i sold my Model 7 to DG and it got to him safe and sound. No worries...
                Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

I was going to post earlier & say if it's a bolt-on, ship it like Superfly shipped my Model 7. Take it apart, bubble wrap around the body & neck, plenty of padding & packing peanuts to fill the box and keep them from banging together. You could have dropped it off a building and nothing would have happened. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I say don't do it because it's a trade. I would (have) bought before without cases, but at least I had AmEx behind me if something goes terribly wrong. With a trade, you could be SOL unless this is a nice guy you are dealing with.

Comment

The only reason UPS or Fed Ex breaks guitars is because they don't know what's in the box. Just tell him to not box it. Put the shipping label directly on the back of the guitar and send it. That way the shipping guys can see it's a guitar and they'll be very careful with it.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The only reason UPS or Fed Ex breaks guitars is because they don't know what's in the box. Just tell him to not box it. Put the shipping label directly on the back of the guitar and send it. That way the shipping guys can see it's a guitar and they'll be very careful with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny part is I'm sure that would work.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Thanks for the info everyone. We have decided to both buy cases for each instrument (I'm not giving up a UV1000 case when if he's going to just buy a generic case). I'm always apprehensive about these interent deals..I'm sending out a $1200+ guitar on blind faith that he'll send one back in return. I've done some research and he seems to be on the up-n-up but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                          X