Soulfly - Dark Ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soulfly - Dark Ages

My new favourite CD as of 10 minutes ago. Chock full of damn fine riffage.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Soulfly - Dark Ages

It's about time!!! I missed Max as a singer. Haven't been all too impressed with a lot of the Soulfly releases. I guess I wanted a more modern Sepultura.

Gonna have to dig that one up! Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Yeah, I've been on and off with Soulfly since the beginning. I knew Max had some good shit in him, but it's taken him a long time to come up with something this good. It's dark, it's brutal, and yeah, it's about time.

Comment

Cool. Maybe I'll pick it up. I never bought a Soulfly album, even though I thought some of their stuff was cool, and I saw them live once or twice on Ozzfest. I haven't picked up any Sepultura albums since Max has been gone either, but also saw them live a couple times with Derrick and still enjoyed them. Guess I need to rediscover them again, too.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love that dudes voice, Sepultura was one of my Fav bands for years. Dead Embryonic Cells blew me away and I was sold. Max was the voice of death metal IMO. Took me a long time to really like Chuck, so Max was my fav.

I'd never heard Soulfly the first time they toured, and just went to see them one night... I was like WTF is this?? They were using the guitar more as a rythmic percussion thing than a traditional guitar technique with solos etc, and I was sorta put off. By the end of the show I was starting to "get it" though and see what they were trying to get across, but it still didn't "really" dig it.

I bet he figured it was time to get back to the "roots", hehe... Didn't seem like Soulfly got picked up by the Non-guitar solo oriented Numetal scene either, maybe it was time to try to get the die hard Sepultura type fans back on he wagon with them.

I'm excited... Gonna have to by this one...

Comment

I love it, but I have been a max cavalera fan boy since the sepultura days...so my opinion is uber biased [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool, I gotta find this one as well. My friend heard rumors of Max rejoining Sepultura a few months back..not sure if that was real or not. Until that happens this will have to suffice!
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I was a huge Max/Sepultura fan, got all of their stuff with him, then just kinda lost interest in both of them after he was out and haven't paid much attention, only really listened to newer stuff they played on the local metal station here once in awhile. I also heard a rumor about him rejoining Sepultura, but who knows?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I also heard a rumor about him rejoining Sepultura, but who knows?

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise you that will NEVER happen. Max has come a long way since sepultura, and is now free to express himself in ways that would not have been accepted in sepultura.

a lot of the raggae stuff he throws in the record would never have been allowed in sepultura. To him, sepultura is the past. He wants to continue moving forward with Soulfly, he is proud of his creation and wouldn't quit on it for the world.

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, there was bad blood between Max and the rest of the band when they fired his wife Gloria as their manager. I heard they were on speaking terms and patching things up, but I pretty much doubt they'd do any reuniting.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Yeah, there was bad blood between Max and the rest of the band when they fired his wife Gloria as their manager. I heard they were on speaking terms and patching things up, but I pretty much doubt they'd do any reuniting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't doubt that they are on speaking terms once again, but Max wouldn't ever return to Sepultura.

They fvcked up big time when they split with Gloria. They tried to do some sh1t where they (the rest of the band) were under different management, and max alone was being managed by Gloria.

what a huge slap in the face, they deserve what happened to them after max left (them sucking that is)

Comment

VERY Early Selputura is cool..Not a fan since..

Sorry..especially Soulfly...ehhh too "brazillian" for my taste.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          VERY Early Selputura is cool..Not a fan since..

Sorry..especially Soulfly...ehhh too "brazillian" for my taste.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's understandable.

I love the old sepultura trash metal stuff, and the stuff up to the point where max left.

I really love soulfly b/c of all the south-american influence.

My family is from Colombia, so having all that rich south-american influence in soulfly's albums makes it really cool for me [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh well then..I can see how you would love this..

I can't....I wanted to...I bought several latter Sepultura cds and the first couple Soulflys....but I traded them in..

Max is the epitome of so-called (Cookie monster) vocals..he sounds exactly like him..to the T!

I love death vox vocals...but he just..I can't take him seriously... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I give him props for innovation..I mean he was there doing his thing in the early thrash death days..I give him credit for that..

He doesn't do anything for me...I had the first CD on once in the car and I was trying to enjoy it...But I had to roll the windows up tho..when he started that Brazillian chant thingy..in "I'm in Goal" song...I was like...Oh jeez...WTF???!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

my wife looked at me and just flat out asked...WTF are you gay...what's up with this shit???!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

LOL Bill you crack me up!

I actually like the whole South American thing, or whatever it is. It's very tribal. There was a band from Toronto called Mundane. The singer and one of the other guys are brothers from Portugal, and really cool guys. The singer had a small drum set up front, and played tribal type drum beats in addition to the regular drums. I love that kind of thing.

As far as Max's singing, I always did like it. It's definitely more palatable than someone like Chris Barnes.

I've been listening to this new Soulfly all last night, and all morning. Just can't get enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X