Linux questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux questions.

Ok, Im a linux newb. Ive always wanted to fart around with it but it always seemed too complicated. Now I see some versions of linux that seem to promise a very windows like setup with easy setup. I see one for sale on ebay for cheap that includes all sorts of built in programs and promises more speed and less problems (virus, spyware, etc..), no multi license problems. So, I might go for it, unless someone can point me to the same thing for free. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Some questions. Can I run it on a dual boot situation with winxp pro(ntfs). Can I add it to dual boot if the windows installation is already there? Is there linux support for ati video cards(8500LE)? Does linux support USB? I could just build another box for linux but Id like to add it to my main machine so I would actually use it.I have partition magic if I need to create some fat32 space on my drive so thats not a problem. Ive probably opened up a huge can of worms here so all suggestions are welcome.

Re: Linux questions.

Buy Linux?
    You should be able to download an .iso and burn the disk yourself somewhere.
    It's been a long time since I used it, you need to have unpartitioned space on your hdd, and it installs a boot loader during the install.
    I've heard Ubuntu is supposed to be easy to set up.

Comment

download knoppix, run it from the CD and check it out.
      Just download the iso image, burn to CD and reboot, that simple.

Oh, and if you commit to a permanent linux, just have freespace on your drive and it will stick a bootloader in front of windows xp so you can boot to either one.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Thanks, I will look into that. What do you think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOOTDISK-LINUX-SAVE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it the same as this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FINALLY-THE-BEST-OS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this just someone making money off of something that I can download for free?

Comment

Testing the opensource waters...good for you.
          You'll enjoy it as most do.

Go to gentoo's site.
          Read and browse through their forum for a few days or so.
          Alot of quality info in the forum.
          A very strong community.
          Gentoo is the better of the bunch, imo.
          Suse is decent distribution but I'm biased toward Gentoo.
          You can buy linux if you wish and by doing so your supporting the opensource communit.
          However, linux is free to download.
          Again, thats one among many reasons I prefer Gentoo.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

To be honest, I have not heard of katana linux or bootdisk linux, so I couldn't vouch for the package ease of use or completeness.

I have friends who thought Xandros was nice and complete.

I would personally use

Knoppix live CD
            http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

or

SuSe (Novell) live cd http://www.novell.com/products/susel...ds/suse_linux/

Both are free other than the media (SuSe is not free other than the live or eval versions, but a nice supported way to start)

or a RedHat version (Fedora is the 'free RedHat version' - I haven't seen a live cd of it.

Although they are all very similar, each distro has it's fanboys and experts. - stick with a common variant and help is easier to find - until you find a reason to pick a specialized version.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Isn't gentoo geared towards power users? My friends that talk it up are all hardcore programmers.

If you have a broadband connection, just download the live cd .iso file and burn it to CD yourself. A lot of Distributions have the Live CD option so you can try a bunch for only the price of CDs.

Comment

Ubuntu has a really good live cd, and a normal cd as well. They send out free discs too, but their from Europe so it takes a while.

Comment

Cool, Im downloading the Suse live iso right now. 35 minutes til the whole thing is done. I can deal with that. Suse is not free? I saw all the suse files free to download. I will dl a bunch of live .iso's. and check them out. This is cool. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got a lab full of PC laptops. I think I'll DL a few tomorrow at work and check them out too. I really like the Unix/Xwindows environment. Mainly for the command line.
                    I'd just say be patient and remember it's not windows. It does the same stuff, but in a different manner.

With all the spyware/malware floating around, I don't run windows at home anymore, but I went the $$$ route and bought a Mac.

Comment

I think you only get support if you purchase SuSe Linux.

I only work with SLES 9 (SuSe Linux Enterprise Server) which only let's you get updates and stuff for 30 days unless you have purchased support. The personal version doesn't have that limitation.

Comment

At home, I went back to XP and firefox with corporate antivirus (currently Norton cause my company bought it, but I am considering AVG - free!)
                        Turn on firewalls and windows update and live behind a router.

I used Redhat/Fedora for a looong time at home and most of the stuff I was doing was just easier with windows.

Sad but true, I'll go back to linux for my laptop soon - does what I need for basic stuff and usability has come a long way.

Comment

Im dling the Ubuntu cd as well. Its funny that when I mentioned linux to my son, 15, he got all excited and wants me to set up a linux server for his pc game. Yeah, the cable company is gonna love that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oh, one more thing, if Ive got a sempron processor that has 64 bit instructions enabled should I use the A64 version?

Comment

Yup, a64 should work, though I have never used it, only had intel 64 bit enabled procs.

Comment

Ok, Im posting this through firefox using Ubuntu live cd. Seems pretty cool. It had no problem with my system at all. I do have to figure out a way to change the type font. It looks like a cheap typewriter, very annoying. Oh, and the color scheme is butt ugly. All earthtones, yuck. The apps load kinda slow but I guess thats because its all running off the cd. It is amazing to me that I could build a box, throw this cd in the drive and have a working computer in 5 minutes. Perfect for general use. This is very cool. This is very good for a diagnostic tool if my windows goes bad. I have to explore it some more. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X