what to use to clean output jacks?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to use to clean output jacks?!?

Hi guys, I have a Firewire 410 (m-audio) device that I got in off Ebay. The jack cuts in and out, so i assume the contacts or springs need adjusting. Whats a good substance to use to clean the contacts . I tried rubbing alc with no results, and its not something that I can go to the store and replace . It's a special stereo jack proprietary to their unit.

Any help is appreciated. Also, can a person tug the springs at all for tighter contact possibly?!?

Re: what to use to clean output jacks?!?

If I remember correctly, Stew Mac sells a little gizmo that had abrasive material inbedded in it. You just stick it in the hole and twist it around a bit. (sounded dirty huh!)
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

had a peek, and cant find anything. Any ideas for anythign household that would work?!?

Comment

Got a sand blaster? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

you can get contact cleaner at a place like radioshack; try spraying some on an input plug, and "plugging it" in and out a few times

Comment

cool, ill hit up the RS tomorrow and see what it offers. I sure hope its nothing more fundamental, as it could be a pricy repair on a 400$ box :s

Comment

Every player of electric instruments should always have a bottle of contact cleaner handy. You'd be amazed how often it is useful. I have even gotten cheap and free gear because the owners thought it was broken and didn't want to pay for a tech to fix it.

If you have a more specialized electronics parts store in town, as opposed to Radio Shack, you can get a big can of contact cleaner, about twice as big as the Shack has, for about the same money. I'm a cheapass in such ways. The Radio Shack product will do fine though, sometimes it's too much trouble finding specialty stores.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

thanks for the info guys, I needed to know this too.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Be careful. That stuff sprays out fast and heavy! I needed to free up two pots in a lester I got from Hawaii. It did the trick. The jack also has the same issues, but it's gotten better just from use (using it wears down the corrosion inside back to solid metal). I'm afraid you'll spray a ton in that jack and flood it. Spray some in the air first to get an idea of how fast it comes out.

Comment

I say go with Crunchy Peanutbutter, Then a Strawberry preserve the little seeds in the preserve should cause any wear you'll need to clean up the Jack, If that doesn't work gets some asstro Glide these things are all house hold & should do the trick.
                    According To The Prophecy

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Be careful. That stuff sprays out fast and heavy! I needed to free up two pots in a lester I got from Hawaii. It did the trick. The jack also has the same issues, but it's gotten better just from use (using it wears down the corrosion inside back to solid metal). I'm afraid you'll spray a ton in that jack and flood it. Spray some in the air first to get an idea of how fast it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      thanks.

I guess the smart thing to do would be spray it on the jack plug, and stick that in the jack. I wouldn't spray the stuff directly in the jack.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I've never had luck with contact cleaner. It works until the next day when it just leaves things dirtier then when you started. i use isopropyl alcohol for potentiometers, jacks, plugs, switch contacts etc

Comment

Working...
                        X