Any mountain bikers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any mountain bikers?

I'm looking to get a new bike and I don't want to spend a whole lot of money.... I ride at least once a week, there are trails in my area, so I can get some use out of it..... I'm looking to go hardtail or low end full susp.... so if any of you guy ride.... what do you ride?

Re: Any mountain bikers?

A Gary Fisher or Specialized hardtail would be my choice. I've owned a few bikes and my Fisher 29" is by far my favorite. I'd skip the full suspension and spend the money on a bike with better components. Unless you are riding a lot or really rough trails, or doing a lot of freeriding, that rear suspension isn;t going to get much use.

It all depends on how much you want to spend really, but buy it from a local shop where you know you can get support. It's not unlike buying a guitar.

Some other things: I think cannondale's are way overpriced, they make a nice ride, but you pay to much for them.

Comment

You can pick up a decent Diamond Back for around $800 with full suspension. If it supports my fat ass, it will support yours.-Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I'm a former racer - I started on Specialized but spent most of my "career" on Cannondales. Either one are great brands and you should be able to get a pretty decent hard tail for $600-$800.

My personal opinion is that for where you live and the kind of riding you're talking about, rear suspension is overkill and unnecssary weight. Just don't expect to take it to Vancouver, B.C. and go free riding with it.

Comment

Trek Y-22 full suspension. Judy XC, Alps 5, Sram 9.0.
          She is a great bike. A little on the heavy side even though she has a carbon fiber body and an aluminum swingarm but the ride is plush and the downhill is awesome.
          I also have a Haro Extreme Comp for noodling around on the sidewalk and carriage trails. I had a GT Zaskar that handled better but the ride was pretty brutal.

Comment

Two custom built Schwinn Homegrowns. I'd look at Specialized or Rocky Mountain. Both make some pretty good bikes. K2 has some decent options as well. I've never been a big fan of cracknfail's. So personally I'd steer clear of those. And I wouldn't rule out a FS either. Especially if your riding Florida trails that have a lot of exposed roots. A hard tail will be bouncing all over the place and no much of an enjoyable ride. An XC bike with 4 inches of front and rear travel should suffice. If your terrain is flat and less bumpy definitely get a hard tail.
            We must!
            We must!
            We must increase the bust!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!
            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Love my Aluminum Trek mutt. Light weight is were it's at. Don't really do any "aggressive" riding - riding on grass is aggressive to me LOL!

Comment

You made me wanna ride til I went out and felt how cold it was. I have a GT I drive mutt, Marzocchis, Cook Bros Cranks, King Hubs Hope discs, Yadda, yadda...... I guess I'm kinda lazy now though cause I just bought an XR 650 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I'm an amateur racer myself. My "Race Bike" is a 1998 Klein Pulse Comp (hardtail), with XT drivetrain. My "Trail Bike" for riding the local trails is a 1999 Specialized FSR XC (full suspension).

You might as well go ahead an invest in a nice bike, because if you get into riding, you're going to want to upgrade your components. For example, there are no original parts on my Klein except the frame itself.

If you're going to get a hardtail, you may want to consider a steel frame as opposed to aluminum. When I switched from my Trek steel hardtail to my Klein, I felt every single bump in the trail, until I got used to it.

Hope this helps.
                  Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

didnt know there were so many bikers here, cool
                    Gary Fisher Marlin (upgraded bunches)...its a beater
                    Gary Fisher Sugar 4
                    Specialized FSR
                    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Trek 4500 with front suspension is a good all around bike. It's good for casual riding and can handle some pretty serious terrain as well.

I'm 6'5" and my Trek has a 21" frame. This bike looks huge. My wife can't even reach the pedals. When I lower the seat, she hits the frame before her feet touch the ground [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Look hardtail, you'll get a much better equipped bike.

Mtn bike: Dean titanium hardtail, rock shox, XT, Race Face cranks. I built it up from the frame up when I ran a Bike Shop in the mid 90's.

Road Bike: Bianchi Veloce, steel with a Campagnolo Veloce group.
                        "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

GT Aggressor

There's nothing like riding along Lake Shore Drive in the summer.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

I ride a Santa Cruz Bullit. I bought the frame and all the componets seperate and built it myself. I don't get to ride much these days though. There's some cool ride videos of the guys I used to ride with on this site ---> http://www.iwantmymtb.com .

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Trek 4500 with front suspension is a good all around bike. It's good for casual riding and can handle some pretty serious terrain as well.

I'm 6'5" and my Trek has a 21" frame. This bike looks huge. My wife can't even reach the pedals. When I lower the seat, she hits the frame before her feet touch the ground [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I have a 4500 with a 24" frame (the biggest they make); it's the biggest bike I've ever seen [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it's just rediculous

Comment

Working...
                              X