Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question.. can't get it out of my mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question.. can't get it out of my mind.

If you have two superballs (I believe that's the english word.. those bouncing ball thingies) that collide in the air at the same speed, what will happen?

Like a full elastic collision.. will the balls stop, will they go the other way at the same speed, or go the other way with increased speed?

This has been driving me nuts for quite some time and I suck at physics [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] thanks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Re: I have a question.. can\'t get it out of my min

They probably won't do anything if they are on a conveyer belt.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

That's a fargin' trick question!!!!!!!!!
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Oh Jesus. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

LOFL!!! Roman Moronie rules!

After forever: Basically it boils down to one of the principal guidelines of physics. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Oh Jesus. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

F this, I am in no way getting involved in this crap again.

Because everyone knows the balls will just hit and bounce off of each other in opposite direction.

IM OUT. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

you're not talking about this plane thing mark, are you? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

dunno, if I got you right; you want two of these "flummies" (that's what they're called here) to collide in the air?
                I guess they will bounce off in unpredictable direction.
                about the speed it should be more or less the same as before.
                the trick on these things is, that the energy is taken out of motion to deform the ball until the structur of it's material get's stronger and takes it back into it's previous form (like a spring). this energy will cause new motion.
                if you let it out of your hand and it hits the ground it will reach almoust the same height as it fell down from.
                the same should work with two balls. it's twice the energy for twice the mass, so speed should stay equal.

I think there's no way they will increase speed, otherwhise we'd be using them to produce electricity, drive cars or most likely kill each other... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                without gravity and air traction, speed is equal I say. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

but interesting indeed! [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

They will stop, drop and roll.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the super balls will fall in love and fuse to each other. After a few bumps and humps you end up with those cool multi-color super balls that look like Steve Vai's guitars.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

They will form a singularity, which will tear a hole in the fiber of the time space continuem, destroying the known universe.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Did you honestly expect an honest answer out of this bunch ? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

I once bounced a superball and it never came back down to earth..BOING...then poof it was gone..

Hey, how many superballs can fit in your mouth.... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

just askin'. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If 2 of them hit each other in mid air, they would bounce back at the same speed.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It's a matter of how much of their energy is absorbed in the collision. A lot of energy is lost when the 2 balls are momentarily squashed together (Like a bugs ass going through its mind right before it hits a windshield) and energy is lost when the ball bounces in the other direction. The balls will definitely bounce off each other, but they will not go in the opposite direction at the same speed they connected at.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X