Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question.. can't get it out of my mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I have a question.. can\'t get it out of my min

hit one with a golf club or baseball bat and kiss it goodbye
    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      IHey, how many superballs can fit in your mouth.... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

just askin'. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many does your boyfriend have? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The reason a golf ball goes as far as it does (Not in my case.), is that it compresses on impact. Two super-balls hitting each other should increase the rebound. Hell, I was alive when they first came out (1967?). We loved them and would bounce them off the big wall that was in our highschool quad. Then, we couldn't stop them and got bored. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

"How many does your boyfriend have?"

well the closest thing I have to a "boy-friend" is Cleveland John...so why don't we just ask him.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The reason a golf ball goes as far as it does (Not in my case.), is that it compresses on impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's because of the dimples in the ball, which though the air behind, reducing air friction on the ball, thusly allowing it to travel a greater distance.

If two superballs of the same mass colided in mid air, and both where 100% elastic, they would just fall to the ground. But, the chances that they are 100% is very slim, so they would recoil off each other... not in random directions at all... at a slower speed, if you had actuall numbers it wouldn't be hard to work it out.

This is highschool physics stuff :P

Comment

How fast were they going when they collided?
              I mean if they were each traveling at say 400 MPH, they would explode on impact. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              -Rick

Comment

Watch a slow mo of a golfball being hit. Never took highschool physics. Too hard. Got my degree in Soc. That way I didn't have to memorize anything. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hahaha, good stuff then :P I actually have a physics examination coming up soon... *grabs list of 10,948 fomulas*

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Hahaha, good stuff then :P I actually have a physics examination coming up soon... *grabs list of 10,948 fomulas*

[/ QUOTE ] I had to take Stats in college. It was the only class I dropped like a hot brick. Had to take it, however. Turns out the prof gave open book tests so all we had to do was plug in the numbers. It was still too hard. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Every woman eventually developes a "bell curve" [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      If two superballs of the same mass colided in mid air, and both where 100% elastic, they would just fall to the ground. But, the chances that they are 100% is very slim, so they would recoil off each other... not in random directions at all... at a slower speed

[/ QUOTE ]

you're sure about that?
                      I mean, if I press them on the ground, so they deform to some kind of egg-ish form, and take my hand off rapidly it will jump off the ground.
                      the same will happen if I put another superball (always have to think of this big kid with his acoustic... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) right under it and press them together.
                      the material will get back to it's usual form, the ball. there is an acceleration in this progress and since mass is slowly in reaction with that, the ball will even have speed when it's usual form is already there again.

it's not that easy for me to discuss things like this in english, but I'm sure the speed should not change all that much. energie is constant, the deforming will cause some warmth inside the material, but where else should it go?
                      as long as the ball get's the ball-form again after bouncing, all the energy provided by the material under pressure is gonna be revealed again.

not sure if this makes sence to anyone... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

actually I think the loss in energy should be compareable to the loss in hight if you bounce it on the ground in right angle.

but how do you define 100% elastic anyway?
                      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Oh crap............didn't need to open this thread..............later! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

For the balls to just drop to the floor (hehe, I just said balls drop to the floor [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), they would have to be EXACTLY identical in mass, material (this is where the elasticity comes into play) and velocity and be traveling EXACTLY parallel to each other along the same plane (i.e., straight at each other). Otherwise the different velocity vectors come into play.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like such a geek [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

While you guys are playin' with yur balls...I'm gonna go find something important to watch on tv.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              It's a matter of how much of their energy is absorbed in the collision. A lot of energy is lost when the 2 balls are momentarily squashed together (Like a bugs ass going through its mind right before it hits a windshield) and energy is lost when the ball bounces in the other direction. The balls will definitely bounce off each other, but they will not go in the opposite direction at the same speed they connected at.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, no of course not, but they will rebound.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Huh huh...he said balls. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                                "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                                I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Working...
                                X